MYNORTHWEST NEWS

Gov. Inslee astounded by Seattle tunnel contractor’s decisions to stop quality control

Jan 20, 2016, 8:50 AM | Updated: 12:56 pm

“We do already know that the contractor – for reasons that are just astounding to us &#...

"We do already know that the contractor - for reasons that are just astounding to us - stopped doing quality control work that they had been doing for the first thousand feet," Gov. Jay Inslee told Seattle's Morning News. (WSDOT)

(WSDOT)

The contractor responsible for operating the Seattle boring machine stopped doing quality control work sometime before a sinkhole opened up at the city’s waterfront.

Gov. Jay Inslee told Seattle’s Morning News that after the sinkhole opened behind Bertha Jan. 19, it became apparent that Seattle Tunnel Partners was not doing what it needed to in order to guarantee safety.

“We do already know that the contractor &#8211 for reasons that are just astounding to us &#8211 stopped doing quality control work that they had been doing for the first thousand feet,” Inslee said.

Related: Seattle considers cottage industry to ease housing, rent concerns

It was a comment that KIRO Radio’s Dave Ross wanted to make sure he heard correctly. The contractor stopped doing quality control work?

For the first 1,000 feet of work, crews with Seattle Tunnel Partners measured the amount of dirt being removed from the tunnel, Inslee explained. That helped prevent sinkholes, by making sure there wasn’t a “void.” But for reasons Inlsee couldn’t explain, they stopped doing that work.

“We are very disappointed that the contractor failed in that regard,” Inslee added.

Inslee ordered the work involving Bertha stopped. The contractor now has to complete a root-cause analysis of how and why the sinkhole appeared and how crews will prevent it from happening again. Inslee hopes this will be done as “soon as humanly possible,” because the project is already two years behind schedule.

“This thing is going underneath the viaduct, and we know how fragile that is,” Inslee said. “Everyone knows a sinkhole under the viaduct could be catastrophic and we cannot have that risk without being assured that they’re going to preform quality control necessary to prevent that from happening again.”

Why not just stop Bertha, before it does some real damage?

It comes down to the money already invested in the project, Inslee explained.

“To throw money overboard and waste it does not seem [reasonable],” he said.

Inslee said the project still has a “reasonable chance of success.”

MyNorthwest News

Tacoma ICE facility hunger strike...

MyNorthwest Staff

140+ detainees end week-long hunger strike at Tacoma ICE facility

More than 140 people detained at the ICE facility in Tacoma have ended a nearly weeklong hunger strike over food and medical care.

1 hour ago

alaska army plane...

BECKY BOHRER, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

US Army Corps of Engineers chartered plane crashes near Alaska radar site, killing all 8 aboard

A small plane chartered by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers traveling to the site of a remote aircraft-tracking radar in western Alaska crashed near its destination, killing all eight people aboard.

2 hours ago

teen brawl pierce transit bus...

MyNorthwest Staff

Teen brawl on Pierce Transit bus ends with two arrests, driver and passengers pepper sprayed

Two 18-year-olds were arrested after a brawl broke out between groups of teenagers on a Pierce Transit bus Tuesday night at the South Hill Mall Transit Center.

3 hours ago

microsoft israel protest...

Nia Bliss, KIRO 7 News

One year after protest, organizers say Microsoft still needs to cut ties with Israeli military

One year after Microsoft workers, former employees, and community activists set up an encampment at Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, organizers said the big tech company still needs to cut ties to the Israeli military.

3 hours ago

jimothy...

Katy Wade, KIRO 7 News

Hot Jimothy Summer Forever: Artist raises $271K for local food bank, businesses host paint-and-sips

A one-of-a-kind painting of Jimothy the Raccoon has raised more than $271,000 for the Ballard Food Bank, according to the artist who painted him.

4 hours ago

redmond tennis U.S. open...

Frank Lenzi

She came to Redmond at 10 to chase a tennis dream. Now she’s headed to the U.S. Open.

On a tennis court in Redmond, Washington, a 16-year-old from Moscow, Russia, is making history one swing at a time.

4 hours ago

Gov. Inslee astounded by Seattle tunnel contractor’s decisions to stop quality control