SEATTLE NEWS ARCHIVES & FEATURES

Father of 16-year-old killed at CHOP sues Seattle: ‘There needs to be accountability’

Jul 22, 2022, 11:17 AM

chop...

City crews dismantle the Capitol Hill Organized Protest (CHOP) area outside of the Seattle Police Department's vacated East Precinct (Getty Images)

(Getty Images)

The city of Seattle was notified earlier this week the family of a 16-year-old — shot and killed during the CHOP protest in June 2020 — is opening up a lawsuit.

Antonio Mays Jr. died after being shot in the Capitol Hill Organized Protest (CHOP).

“This is just another lawsuit in a series and another reminder of what a colossal screw-up CHOP was for the city,” Mark Lindquist, former district attorney and attorney of record in a previous CHOP lawsuit, told The Dori Monson Show on Thursday.

“It’s kind of staggering that not even one person, at least that we know of yet, stood up and said, ‘We have to put an end to this. We can’t allow this no-cop zone, violence is foreseeable.’”

Evan Oshan, attorney for Antonio Mays Sr., Mays Jr.’s father, is claiming the city neglected to give emergency services to protesters in CHOP.

“He was here to participate in something bigger than him. Something that was going to change things to make the world a better place. And he was greeted by this insane situation up on Capitol Hill,” Oshan said.

Mays’ father said his son called it “the summer of love.”

The city remains legally vulnerable, Lindquist said, on two points — creating a dangerous situation and negligence in delivering medical services.

“There needs to be accountability for what the city allowed here. People were injured, people even died,” Lindquist expressed.

More lawsuits have emerged against the city of Seattle, including from business owners and families of people who were injured during CHOP.

Listen to the Dori Monson Show weekday afternoons from noon – 3 p.m. on KIRO Newsradio, 97.3 FM. Subscribe to the podcast here.

seattle bagel shop goes to NY...

Julia Dallas

Seattle bagel shop heading to New York competition after sweeping the West

A Seattle bagel shop is heading to the big leagues this fall after crushing the competition on the West Coast.

7 minutes ago

Associated Press

Georgia man charged with burglarizing NASCAR driver Greg Biffle’s home after plane crash

STATESVILLE, N.C. (AP) — A Georgia man burglarized former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle’s home after learning Biffle and his family died in a plane crash, a North Carolina sheriff said Tuesday. Terrell Williams, 44, has been charged with second-degree burglary, safe cracking, money laundering and other felonies, Iredell County Sheriff Darren Campbell announced at a […]

7 minutes ago

Associated Press

Liberia agrees to take 1,200 deportees from the US

MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) — Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the United States, authorities in the West African country said Tuesday, in one of the largest such arrangements under the Trump administration’s policy aimed at deterring illegal migration. The deportees will be received within a year, with the first batch […]

56 minutes ago

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent walks past reporters following an interview with Fox News outside ...

Associated Press

Woman accused of plotting to kill Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is sentenced to 6 years in prison

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Massachusetts woman who told police that she brought homemade firebombs to the U.S. Capitol to kill Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent was sentenced on Tuesday to just over six years in prison. Riley English, a 26-year-old transgender woman, said she was in the grips of a mental health crisis and abusing drugs […]

57 minutes ago

Flock cameras seattle public safety...

Tim Hohl, KIRO Newsradio

Seattle Chamber poll finds strong voter support for public safety cameras

A new Seattle Metro Chamber poll found strong support for public safety cameras, with three of four Seattle voters backing their use to help investigate crimes.

1 hour ago

FILE - A poster of Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a man killed by U.S. Immigration and Customs E...

Associated Press

Congresswoman says target of ICE operation in fatal Maine shooting wasn’t up for removal

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The person Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents targeted in Maine last month when an officer shot and killed a motorist was a roommate who was not subject to a final removal order, a Democratic congresswoman from the state said. Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a 25-year-old Colombian national, was shot and killed […]

1 hour ago

Father of 16-year-old killed at CHOP sues Seattle: ‘There needs to be accountability’