POLITICS

US says $14m program with Panama for removal of migrants has funded 2,000 deportations

May 7, 2025, 8:33 AM

PANAMA CITY (AP) — The United States government says that a deal reached with Panama last year to pay for charter flights and airline tickets to deport migrants without status in Panama has led to nearly 2,000 migrants exiting the country.

The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump is touting it as a factor in the steep decline of migration through the Darien Gap, but the deal was reached by the administration of his predecessor, President Joe Biden.

The most recent of the 48 charter flights came Tuesday and carried 81 migrants from Cameroon, Nepal, India, Bangladesh, Vietnam and Sri Lanka, according to a statement from the U.S. embassy.

Washington is paying Panama about $14 million to deport migrants without status.

The U.S. sent 299 migrants to Panama in February as the Trump administration tried to accelerate deportations as part of a deal in which countries like Panama and Costa Rica would act as “bridges,” temporarily detaining deportees while they await return to their countries of origin or third countries.

Migration through the Darien Gap, connecting Panama and Colombia, surged in 2021 with more than 500,000 crossing the jungle in 2023, most headed for the United States. The flow slowed last year and has practically stopped altogether this year due to changes in U.S. migration policy at the border.

Politics

FILE - A youth plays near the machine where the sugar cane is weighed in the Lima batey, or neighbo...

Associated Press

Watchdog calls for US import ban as forced labor persists in Dominican sugarcane fields

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A report released Tuesday by a human rights group found that forced labor persists on massive sugarcane plantations across the Dominican Republic, which exports sugar and other products to the U.S. — its largest market. The nonprofit Corporate Accountability Lab said it spent more than three years investigating the […]

4 minutes ago

U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., speaks with attendees at the South Carolina Republican Party's Silv...

Associated Press

AP Interview: Ralph Norman questions Trump’s endorsement of Darline Graham in South Carolina runoff

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) — U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman says it’s a “head scratcher” that President Donald Trump endorsed Sen. Darline Graham in South Carolina’s Republican Senate runoff, saying his experience in Congress and business — and consistent votes for Trump’s priorities — make him the stronger candidate to replace the late Sen. Lindsey Graham. Norman’s […]

8 minutes ago

Associated Press

Trump administration moves ahead to end roadless rule on national forests

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The Trump administration announced Tuesday it is moving ahead with plans to rescind a quarter-century-old rule that blocked logging, road building and other development on national forest lands, drawing the ire of environmentalists nationwide. The U.S. Forest Service is filing a proposal that would scrap the so called roadless rule adopted […]

15 minutes ago

FILE - Cars drive past data centers on July 16, 2023, in Ashburn, Va. (AP Photo/Ted Shaffrey, File)...

Associated Press

Governors’ races are being increasingly buffeted by the toxic politics of data centers

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — More governors are shifting their stances or taking more steps to squeeze data centers as the midterm elections near and public opinion sours on the energy-hungry behemoths tech giants are building to fuel artificial intelligence products and cloud computing. The backlash to the massive server warehouses is enveloping races for governor […]

2 hours ago

FILE - Kilmar Abrego Garcia arrives at the federal courthouse, Feb. 26, 2026, in Nashville, Tenn. (...

Associated Press

Justice Department pushes to revive criminal case against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The Justice Department is pushing to revive criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, telling a federal appeals court late Monday that a judge erred in his scathing ruling that called the case against the man mistakenly deported to an El Salvador prison an “abuse of prosecuting power.” The government is appealing […]

2 hours ago

Workers continue construction on the new White House ballroom, as seen from the Washington Monument...

Associated Press

Preservation group urges Supreme Court to suspend Trump’s White House ballroom project

WASHINGTON (AP) — A historic preservation group that sued to block construction of President Donald Trump’s White House ballroom urged the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday to suspend the project while it considers whether the work can continue. The National Trust for Historic Preservation filed its request less than a week after the Trump administration […]

2 hours ago

US says $14m program with Panama for removal of migrants has funded 2,000 deportations