WORLD

After days of heavy firefights, calm reported along Indian and Pakistan borders

May 11, 2025, 10:23 PM | Updated: May 12, 2025, 8:26 pm

An Indian soldier feeds pigeons at a market, day after India and Pakistan agreed to a ceasefire Sat...

An Indian soldier feeds pigeons at a market, day after India and Pakistan agreed to a ceasefire Saturday following U.S.-led talks to end the most serious military confrontation between the nuclear-armed rivals in decades, in Srinagar, in Indian controlled Kashmir, Sunday, May 11, 2025.(AP Photo/Mukhtar Khan)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Mukhtar Khan)

NEW DELHI (AP) — Indian and Pakistani authorities said on Monday that there were no reported incidents of firing overnight along the heavily militarized region between their countries, the first time in recent days that the two nations were not shooting at each other.

India and Pakistan on Saturday reached an understanding to stop all military actions on land, in the air and at the sea, in a U.S.-brokered ceasefire to stop escalating hostilities between the two nuclear-armed rivals that threatened regional peace.

“The night remained largely peaceful across Jammu and Kashmir, and other areas along the international border,” the Indian army said in a statement, adding that no incidents had been reported.

Senior military officials from India and Pakistan are scheduled to speak later Monday to assess if ceasefire was holding. There were fears it would not hold after they accused each other of violations just hours after it was announced.

Local government officials in Pakistan-administered Kashmir reported no incidents of cross-border firing along the Line of Control and said that civilians displaced by recent skirmishes between Pakistani and Indian forces were returning to their homes.

Pakistan’s military spokesperson, Lt. Gen. Ahmad Sharif, said late Sunday that Pakistan remains committed to upholding the ceasefire and will not be the first to violate it.

He also confirmed that senior military officials from both nations would speak on by phone on Monday.

The militaries of the two countries have been engaged in one of their most serious confrontations in decades since last Wednesday, when India struck targets inside Pakistan it said were affiliated with militants responsible for the massacre of 26 tourists in Indian-controlled Kashmir. The tourists, mostly Indian Hindu men, were brutally killed in front of their families in the meadow town of Pahalgam last month.

India accused Pakistan of backing the militants who carried out the massacre, a charge Islamabad denied. The incident first led to a spat of tit-for-tat diplomatic measures by both the nations, sending their bilateral ties to a near historic low.

The two expelled each other’s diplomats, shut their airspace, land borders, and suspended a crucial water treaty.

After Wednesday’s strikes in Pakistan, both sides exchanged heavy fires along their de facto border in the restive Kashmir region followed by missile and drone strikes into each other’s territories, mainly targeting military installations and airbases. Dozens of civilians were killed on both the sides in heavy shelling, the two countries said.

The Indian military on Sunday for the first time claimed its strikes into Pakistan-controlled Kashmir and Pakistan last week killed more than 100 militants, including prominent leaders.

Lt. Gen. Rajiv Ghai, the director general of India’s military operations, who will be talking to his Pakistani counterpart on Monday, said India’s armed forces struck nine militant infrastructure and training facilities, including sites of the Lashkar-e-Taiba group that India blames for carrying out major militant strikes in India and the disputed region of Kashmir.

Ghai said at least 35 to 40 Pakistani soldiers were killed in clashes along the Line of Control, the de facto border that divides the disputed Kashmir region between India and Pakistan. Five Indian soldiers were also killed, he said.

Pakistan’s Information Minister Attaullah Tarar on Thursday said his country’s armed forces had killed 40 to 50 Indian soldiers along the Line of Control. Pakistani military also claimed to have shot down five Indian fighter jets and inflected heavy losses on Indian military installations by targeting 26 locations in India.

The Associated Press couldn’t independently verify the claims made by India and Pakistan.

World

Associated Press

Liberia agrees to take 1,200 deportees from the US

MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) — Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the United States, authorities in the West African country said Tuesday, in one of the largest such arrangements under the Trump administration’s policy aimed at deterring illegal migration. The deportees will be received within a year, with the first batch […]

2 hours ago

FILE - A youth plays near the machine where the sugar cane is weighed in the Lima batey, or neighbo...

Associated Press

Watchdog calls for US import ban as forced labor persists in Dominican sugarcane fields

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A report released Tuesday by a human rights group found that forced labor persists on massive sugarcane plantations across the Dominican Republic, which exports sugar and other products to the U.S. — its largest market. The nonprofit Corporate Accountability Lab said it spent more than three years investigating the […]

2 hours ago

People spend time at a beach as commercial vessels are anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar ...

Associated Press

Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he’s unhappy with country’s deal with Iran, officials say

CAIRO (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he is unhappy the country is close to a deal with Iran to manage ship traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, two regional officials said Tuesday, a day after Trump leveled the threat. The officials said the Trump administration has told Oman it […]

7 hours ago

The U.S. Army's soldiers conduct a training exercise on a river in Yeoncheon, South Korea, near the...

Associated Press

Drills cut by Trump are central to the US-South Korea alliance

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — For decades, the United States and South Korea have regularly staged military drills to prepare their soldiers to work together smoothly in the event of a crisis or conflict with North Korea. But this year’s Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, one of the two main drills conducted by the allies annually, […]

7 hours ago

Defense attorney Volker Klein makes a statement at the regional court in Koblenz, Germany, Tuesday,...

Associated Press

An 81-year-old admits to 1994 killing of American tourist as trial opens in Germany

BERLIN (AP) — An 81-year-old man admitted to sexually assaulting and killing an American tourist in Germany more than 30 years ago at the opening of his trial on Tuesday, German news agency dpa reported. The defendant, whose name was not given in line with German privacy rules, admitted to killing 24-year-old Amy Lopez in […]

9 hours ago

South Korean President Lee Jae-myung, second from right, speaks during a cabinet meeting at the pre...

Associated Press

South Korea president stresses US alliance as many baffled by Trump order to cut exercises

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s president said Tuesday a solid alliance with the U.S. strengthens the foundation of national security, as many South Koreans were baffled and concerned about U.S. President Donald Trump’s abrupt order to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises. Trump made the surprise announcement in a social media post just before […]

15 hours ago

After days of heavy firefights, calm reported along Indian and Pakistan borders