WORLD

Chinese businesses view tariff pause with caution and uncertainty

May 14, 2025, 3:25 AM

FILE - Visitors talk to a sale rep for televisions at the 137th Canton Fair, in Guangzhou in southe...

FILE - Visitors talk to a sale rep for televisions at the 137th Canton Fair, in Guangzhou in southern China's Guangdong province on April 15, 2025. (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan, Filer)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Ng Han Guan, Filer)

BANGKOK (AP) — While U.S. President Donald Trump has talked of victory after reaching a weekend deal with China to reduce the sky-high tariffs levied on each others’ goods, businesses in China are reacting to the temporary deal with caution.

The U.S. and China have cut the tariffs levied on each other in April, with the U.S. cutting the 145% tax Trump imposed last month to 30%. China agreed to lower its tariff rate on U.S. goods to 10% from 125%. The lower tariff rates came into effect on Wednesday.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, announcing the reduction in tariff rates this weekend in Geneva, had said, “We do want trade.” While the markets have responded to the agreement with gusto, rebounding to the levels before Trump’s tariffs, business owners remain wary.

Businesses like one kitchen utensil factory in southern Guangdong province were eager to get back to work. The business said they put at least four orders from their American clients back into production on Tuesday after the tariff pause was announced.

“We thought the negotiation would bring the tariffs down a bit, but didn’t expect it would be so much,” said Margaret Zhuang, a salesperson for the utensil factory in Guangdong province, one of China’s manufacturing hubs.

The two countries are now planning to start negotiations for a longer-term deal.

Kahlee Yu, sales manager of Yangjiang Hongnan Industry and Trade Company, which also manufactures kitchen utensils, said he was reaching out to American customers again. “We’re a little bit optimistic about the trade deal between the two sides. But it is still possible the tariff policies will change again, resulting in no orders from our American clients,” he said.

However happy they were in the moment, the damage from tariffs announced in April has already been done, Zhuang added, as they are seeing fewer orders. Currently, she has orders for products up until June. Earlier this year, before Trump’s trade war began, they had orders for production extending to August.

The uncertainty also means companies are less willing to make new investments. Kelvin Liao, sales director at Action Composites, a manufacturer of carbon fiber auto parts in Dongguan, a major city in Guangdong, said he was originally planning to buy a piece of land to build a new factory, but opted instead to rent because of the tariff situation.

“It is good to reach a trade deal between the two countries. But people have already lost confidence in Trump, and we will take a wait-and-see attitude,” he said. “We believe the signing a trade deal is just a pause and the ultimate goal of the US is to curb China’s development.”

Tariffs also remain in place for some industries, which are not part of the general deal. Hong Kong businessman Danny Lau, who owns an aluminum-coating factory, said his company still faces about a 75% tariff from tariffs levied at different points since 2018 by the U.S. Still he welcomed the news from the weekend, saying he would reach out to existing American customers to gauge their views.

“Although the policy change doesn’t cover our industry, we hope talks will continue and there will be better news during the 90-day pause,” he said.

In April, some Chinese businesses said they would focus their attention on exporting to other markets, given how high the American tariffs were. Analysts said previously that the tariffs could cause Chinese businesses to diversify their supply chains and move part of their manufacturing capacity abroad, including to the U.S.

Liao, the auto parts manufacturer, said his company already has a factory in Vietnam, and the products there were exported to the U.S.

“We don’t believe that the US has the ability to produce the products like ours with lower costs. We will not give up on the US market.”

—-

AP researcher Yu Bing contributed to this report from Beijing. AP writers Kanis Leung in Hong Kong and Fu Ting in Washington contributed to this report.

World

A currency trader passes by a screen showing the Korea Composite Stock Price Index (KOSPI) at the f...

Associated Press

Shares fall in Asia, with Kospi down 5.2%, while oil prices jump

BANGKOK (AP) — Shares slipped Wednesday in Asia after Wall Street pulled further from its all-time high as artificial-intelligence stocks resumed their decline. South Korea’s Kospi led the regional retreat, dropping 5.2% to 6,515.97. The two biggest companies benefiting from the AI boom tracked losses for their U.S. rivals. Samsung Electronics shed 6.9%, while memory […]

4 hours ago

U.S. Army's soldiers conduct a training exercise on a river in Yeoncheon, South Korea, near the bor...

Associated Press

South Korea says the South Korean and US militaries have agreed to shorten their drills

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea said Wednesday the South Korean and U.S. militaries have agreed to shorten their drills at the U.S.’s request. South Korea’s military said in a statement the ongoing drills with the U.S. would end Friday, not Aug. 27 as initially planned. It said the allies also agreed to downsize […]

7 hours ago

Associated Press

Liberia agrees to take 1,200 deportees from the US

MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) — Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the United States, authorities in the West African country said Tuesday, in one of the largest such arrangements under the Trump administration’s policy aimed at deterring illegal migration. The deportees will be received within a year, with the first batch […]

12 hours ago

FILE - A youth plays near the machine where the sugar cane is weighed in the Lima batey, or neighbo...

Associated Press

Watchdog calls for US import ban as forced labor persists in Dominican sugarcane fields

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A report released Tuesday by a human rights group found that forced labor persists on massive sugarcane plantations across the Dominican Republic, which exports sugar and other products to the U.S. — its largest market. The nonprofit Corporate Accountability Lab said it spent more than three years investigating the […]

12 hours ago

People spend time at a beach as commercial vessels are anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar ...

Associated Press

Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he’s unhappy with country’s deal with Iran, officials say

CAIRO (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he is unhappy the country is close to a deal with Iran to manage ship traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, two regional officials said Tuesday, a day after Trump leveled the threat. The officials said the Trump administration has told Oman it […]

17 hours ago

The U.S. Army's soldiers conduct a training exercise on a river in Yeoncheon, South Korea, near the...

Associated Press

Drills cut by Trump are central to the US-South Korea alliance

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — For decades, the United States and South Korea have regularly staged military drills to prepare their soldiers to work together smoothly in the event of a crisis or conflict with North Korea. But this year’s Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, one of the two main drills conducted by the allies annually, […]

17 hours ago

Chinese businesses view tariff pause with caution and uncertainty