POLITICS

$365M slated for solar projects in Puerto Rico will be diverted to power grid, sparking outcry

May 21, 2025, 1:02 PM

Power lines rise in front of electric towers and smokestacks at the Palo Seco power plant in Toa Ba...

Power lines rise in front of electric towers and smokestacks at the Palo Seco power plant in Toa Baja, Puerto Rico, Thursday, May 8, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The U.S. Department of Energy announced Wednesday that $365 million originally slated for solar projects in Puerto Rico will be diverted to improve the island’s crumbling power grid, sparking an outcry just days before the Atlantic hurricane season starts.

The funds had been hanging in limbo in recent weeks, with the Department of Energy missing a recent deadline to finalize contracts worth $365 million that would see battery-operated solar systems installed at health clinics and public housing units in Puerto Rico.

The money had been set aside for that purpose under the administration of former U.S. President Joe Biden.

“That money was spring loaded to flow now,” said Javier Rúa Jovet, public policy director for Puerto Rico’s Solar and Energy Storage Association.

Grantees that include the nonprofit Hispanic Federation had said the funds were urgently needed to provide stable power to people including those on dialysis as major outages continue to hit Puerto Rico.

The Department of Energy said in a statement that the money would now be used “to support technologies that improve system flexibility and response, power flow and control, component strength, supply security, and safety.”

It wasn’t immediately clear how exactly the money would be used or who would decide what projects would be funded.

A spokesperson for the Department of Energy did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright said in a statement that redirecting the funds would ensure that “taxpayer dollars are used to strengthen access to affordable, reliable and secure power, benefiting more citizens as quickly as possible.”

Meanwhile, Puerto Rico Gov. Jenniffer González praised the move in a statement, saying it would help all 3.2 million residents on the island instead of “a few customers.”

“Puerto Rico is facing an energy emergency that requires we act now and deliver immediate solutions. Our communities, businesses, and healthcare facilities cannot afford to wait years, nor can we rely on piecemeal approaches with limited results,” she said.

González previously came under fire as her support for investing $1 billion of federal funds in solar projects across Puerto Rico appeared to fade.

A spokeswoman for the governor did not immediately respond to a request for additional comment and details.

A spokeswoman for Josué Colón, the island’s so-called energy czar, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Dwindling power generation

Rúa Jovet noted that there are currently at least $16 billion in unspent funds from the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency meant to improve Puerto Rico’s electric grid, adding that the $365 million should be used for its original purpose.

“There is nothing faster and better than solar batteries,” he said. “We should all be moving as fast as we can on generation.”

Officials in Puerto Rico already have warned that there will be a shortage of generation this summer. In addition, the Atlantic hurricane season starts June 1, and it is predicted to be above average, with nine anticipated hurricanes, four of them major.

Many in Puerto Rico worry that any storm, regardless of how small, could knock out the grid given its fragile state.

Puerto Rico already was hit with island-wide blackouts on Dec. 31 and April 16.

The diversion of funds come as González criticizes the work of Luma Energy, which oversees transmission and distribution of power on the island, and Genera PR, which oversees generation.

The two private companies were contracted by the previous administration as Puerto Rico’s Electric Power Authority struggled to restructure more than $9 billion in public debt, with mediation still stalled.

‘Elections have consequences’

Under Biden, there was a push for more renewable energy projects in Puerto Rico, where crews are still rebuild the power grid after Hurricane Maria hit in September 2017 as a powerful Category 4 storm. But the grid was already weak before the storm hit given a lack of maintenance and investment for decades.

Rúa Jovet said the Department of Energy’s decision is an ideological one supported by the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump.

“Elections have consequences,” he said.

Of the $1 billion allocated for solar projects in Puerto Rico under Biden, $450 million already has been granted to install solar rooftop and batteries in some 30,000 homes located in rural areas or whose occupants have medical needs.

Overall, roughly 117,000 homes and businesses on the island have solar rooftops.

More than 60% of energy in Puerto Rico is generated by petroleum-fired power plants, 24% by natural gas, 8% by coal and 7% by renewables, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Politics

Associated Press

Liberia agrees to take 1,200 deportees from the US

MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) — Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the United States, authorities in the West African country said Tuesday, in one of the largest such arrangements under the Trump administration’s policy aimed at deterring illegal migration. The deportees will be received within a year, with the first batch […]

3 hours ago

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent walks past reporters following an interview with Fox News outside ...

Associated Press

Woman accused of plotting to kill Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is sentenced to 6 years in prison

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Massachusetts woman who told police that she brought homemade firebombs to the U.S. Capitol to kill Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent was sentenced on Tuesday to just over six years in prison. Riley English, a 26-year-old transgender woman, said she was in the grips of a mental health crisis and abusing drugs […]

3 hours ago

FILE - A poster of Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a man killed by U.S. Immigration and Customs E...

Associated Press

Congresswoman says target of ICE operation in fatal Maine shooting wasn’t up for removal

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The person Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents targeted in Maine last month when an officer shot and killed a motorist was a roommate who was not subject to a final removal order, a Democratic congresswoman from the state said. Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a 25-year-old Colombian national, was shot and killed […]

3 hours ago

FILE - A youth plays near the machine where the sugar cane is weighed in the Lima batey, or neighbo...

Associated Press

Watchdog calls for US import ban as forced labor persists in Dominican sugarcane fields

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A report released Tuesday by a human rights group found that forced labor persists on massive sugarcane plantations across the Dominican Republic, which exports sugar and other products to the U.S. — its largest market. The nonprofit Corporate Accountability Lab said it spent more than three years investigating the […]

3 hours ago

U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., speaks with attendees at the South Carolina Republican Party's Silv...

Associated Press

AP Interview: Ralph Norman questions Trump’s endorsement of Darline Graham in South Carolina runoff

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) — U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman says it’s a “head scratcher” that President Donald Trump endorsed Sen. Darline Graham in South Carolina’s Republican Senate runoff, saying his experience in Congress and business — and consistent votes for Trump’s priorities — make him the stronger candidate to replace the late Sen. Lindsey Graham. Norman’s […]

3 hours ago

Associated Press

Trump administration moves ahead to end roadless rule on national forests

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The Trump administration announced Tuesday it is moving ahead with plans to rescind a quarter-century-old rule that blocked logging, road building and other development on national forest lands, drawing the ire of environmentalists nationwide. The U.S. Forest Service is filing a proposal that would scrap the so called roadless rule adopted […]

3 hours ago

$365M slated for solar projects in Puerto Rico will be diverted to power grid, sparking outcry