NATIONAL NEWS

Federal prosecutors say 2 Texas men made plans to take over a Haitian island

Nov 21, 2025, 3:23 PM

DALLAS (AP) — Federal prosecutors say two Texas men plotted to take over a Haitian island, one going so far as joining the U.S. military to acquire training for an armed attack, with the goal of killing all the men and using the women and children for sex.

Gavin Rivers Weisenburg, 21, and Tanner Christopher Thomas, 20, who are from the Dallas area, were indicted Thursday on charges of conspiracy to murder, maim or kidnap in a foreign country, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of Texas. They were also charged with production of child pornography over allegations they persuaded a minor to engage in sexually explicit conduct.

Attorneys for both men said Friday they will enter not guilty pleas.

“They never tried to do any of this,” said John Helms, who is Thomas’ attorney.

An indictment filed in a Texas federal court accuses the men of planning to recruit the homeless to join their coup in Haiti, buy a sailboat and seize power on Gonave Island, which has about 87,000 residents. It covers roughly 290 square miles (751 square kilometers) square miles and is the largest island surrounding Hispaniola.

Helms said that while he has not yet seen the government’s evidence, he thinks prosecutors “are going to have a real hard time” trying to prove that Weisenburg and Thomas actually intended to carry out such a plot.

David Finn, Weisenburg’s attorney, said he encourages everyone to “tap the breaks” and reserve judgment. He said people have been telling him it is “the craziest thing” they have heard, and his response has been: “Yeah, it is.”

According to the indictment, the two men worked on the plot from August 2024 through July and that preparations included researching weapons and ammunition and plans to buy military-type rifles. Prosecutors also allege that both men tried to learn the Haitian Creole language.

Weisenburg allegedly enrolled in a fire academy around Dallas to receive training that would be useful in the attack but failed out of the school. He then allegedly traveled to Thailand and planned to learn to sail, only to never end up enrolling in lessons because of the cost.

Thomas enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in January, according to the indictment, and told Weisenburg in a social media message that he had joined the military to further their planned attack. While in the Air Force, Thomas changed his assignment to Andrews Air Base in Maryland to help in the recruiting of homeless people in Washington, D.C., the indictment said.

The U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations was among the investigating agencies, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. The Air Force did not immediately respond to an inquiry about Thomas’ service on Friday.

The men face up to 30 years in prison if convicted on the child pornography charge and up to life in prison if convicted on the conspiracy charge.

National News

Members of the Arkansas National Guard continue their patrol after carrying an elderly woman in her...

Associated Press

Trump threatens lawsuit against nonprofit that questioned whether National Guard plan lessened crime

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is threatening to sue a left-leaning think tank unless it retracts a report that said his National Guard deployments to various cities did not reduce crime as he said. The letter gave the Washington, D.C.-based Center for American Progress until the end of business Friday to issue the retraction […]

1 hour ago

Giant Marlin...

Patrick Whittle, The Associated Press

Charter boat hauls in 1,260-pound blue marlin believed to be East Coast’s largest catch

Damon Sacco had never seen anything like the fish he and fellow anglers fought for hours in the waters off Massachusetts.

1 hour ago

FILE - The UN flag flies on a stormy day at the United Nations during the United Nations General As...

Associated Press

US plans to pay $850 million of the $5 billion it owes the United Nations

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. government has notified Congress of its plans to pay $850 million of the several billion it owes to the United Nations, the largest payment the Trump administration would make to the world body since it demanded sweeping reforms in exchange for continued support as its largest donor. The State Department […]

2 hours ago

FILE - Castle Peak is shown in an aerial view on Feb. 20, 2026, near Soda Springs, Calif. (AP Photo...

Associated Press

Backcountry guide company faces $150K in fines after California’s deadliest modern avalanche

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California workplace safety officials have fined a guide company that was leading backcountry skiers down a mountain in February when an avalanche was triggered, killing nine members of the group in the deadliest avalanche in the state’s modern history. The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health, or Cal/OSHA, issued $151,300 […]

3 hours ago

Work continues on the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP ...

Associated Press

National park maintenance work sidelined as Trump’s Freedom 250 takes precedence

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — The 250th anniversary of U.S. independence was just months away when National Park Service employees received a surprising directive from Washington: Maintenance projects approved for this year at sites across the nation were being relegated to a new “low priority” list. Work wanted by the White House was taking precedence, including […]

3 hours ago

FILE - Ed Martin speaks at an event at the Capitol in Washington, June 13, 2023. (AP Photo/Amanda A...

Associated Press

Trump loyalist Ed Martin is leaving the Justice Department to focus on election ‘legal battles’

WASHINGTON (AP) — Ed Martin, a loyal White House ally who held multiple Justice Department posts despite unconventional tactics that sometimes rankled his superiors, is leaving President Donald Trump’s administration, the Republican president said Friday. Trump said in a social media post that Martin is leaving his role as the Justice Department’s pardon attorney to […]

3 hours ago

Federal prosecutors say 2 Texas men made plans to take over a Haitian island