NATIONAL NEWS

White House will present Trump’s ballroom project for a review months after construction began

Jan 8, 2026, 5:22 AM | Updated: 1:30 pm

Work continues on the construction of the ballroom at the White House where the East Wing once stoo...

Work continues on the construction of the ballroom at the White House where the East Wing once stood, Wednesday, Dec. 17, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House is expected to share details of President Donald Trump’s planned ballroom at Thursday’s monthly meeting of the National Capital Planning Commission, months after the East Wing was demolished in preparation for the construction.

The White House in December submitted its ballroom plans to the commission, one of two federal panels that review construction on federal land, usually before ground is broken. The National Trust for Historic Preservation has sued to halt construction of the $400 million ballroom, accusing the Trump administration of violating federal laws by proceeding before submitting the project for the independent reviews, congressional approval and public comment.

The first step in the review process for the East Wing Modernization Project is an information presentation, at which the White House outlines the project. Commissioners can ask questions and offer general feedback. A more formal review is expected in the spring, including public testimony and votes.

A summary on the commission’s website said the purpose of the project is to “establish a permanent, secure event space within the White House grounds” that provides increased capacity for official state functions, eliminates reliance on temporary tents and support facilities, and “protects the historic integrity and cultural landscape of the White House and its grounds.”

A comprehensive design plan for the White House prepared in 2000 identified the “need for expanded event space to address growing visitor demand and provide a venue suitable for significant events,” the summary said. It added that successive administrations had “recognized this need as an ongoing priority.”

The 12-member National Capital Planning Commission is led by Will Scharf, a top White House aide. Scharf said at the commission’s December meeting that the review process would be treated seriously and be conducted at a “normal and deliberative pace.”

Carol Quillen, president of the Trust, told The Associated Press in a recent interview that she takes Scharf “at his word” that the commission will do its job.

Trump, a Republican serving his second term, has been talking about building a White House ballroom for years. Last July, the White House announced a 90,000-square-foot space would be built on the east side of the complex to accommodate 650 seated guests at a then-estimated cost of $200 million. Trump has said it will be paid for with private donations, including from him.

He later upped the ballroom’s capacity to 999 people and, by October, had demolished the two-story East Wing of the White House to build it there. In December, he updated the price tag to $400 million — double the original estimate.

The White House has announced few other details about the project but has said it would be completed before Trump’s term ends in January 2029. Trump has said the ballroom will be big enough for future presidential inaugurations to be held there. He also said it will have bulletproof glass and a drone-free roof.

While in Florida last week, the president bought marble and onyx for the ballroom “at his own expense,” the White House said. The cost was not disclosed.

National News

Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc, left, and United States Trade Representative Jamieson G...

Associated Press

Trump says US and Canada have a trade deal, but key terms remain unclear

WASHINGTON (AP) — Canada has dodged President Donald Trump’s threat of 50% tariffs — at least for now. Trump went on social media late Tuesday to say he was pausing for three days the taxes on $20 billion worth of Canadian imports less than two hours before they were set to go into effect. Speaking […]

22 minutes ago

Parents hold pictures of their deceased children during a protest against social media platforms ou...

Associated Press

Former Meta engineer says Instagram took a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ approach on kids under 13

OAKLAND, California (AP) — A former engineering director at Meta who has testified before Congress about child safety on Instagram told jurors Wednesday at a landmark trial that the company took a “don’t ask, don’t tell” approach on kids under 13 on its platforms. During his second day of testimony, Arturo Béjar said Meta consistently […]

46 minutes ago

Los Angeles District Attorney Nathan Hochman delivers remarks at a press conference on Wednesday, A...

Associated Press

Los Angeles DA reduces charges against LAPD officer who taped colleagues making racist remarks

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles district attorney has backed off felony charges against a police officer who secretly recorded his colleagues making racist remarks after facing criticism the response was too harsh and could deter whistleblowers from coming forward. Los Angeles Police Officer Daniel Flores was charged in July with 16 felonies after […]

55 minutes ago

FILE - This photo provided by NASA shows Kieran Wilson, LINK's principal investigator, and Hunter R...

Associated Press

Rescue mission is called off for NASA’s aging Swift space telescope

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — The mission to save NASA’s sinking Swift Observatory was called off Wednesday, dooming the telescope to a fiery reentry later this year. NASA and Katalyst Space Technologies announced the news more than a month after the startup’s Link spacecraft rocketed away to the telescope’s rescue. Katalyst said Link will not […]

1 hour ago

Associated Press

FTC proposal would require retailers to be transparent about personalized pricing

Companies that secretly vary prices based on how much they think individual customers will pay could face federal charges under a proposed policy released Wednesday by the Federal Trade Commission. “When consumers see a listed price, they expect it to be same price that everyone else sees, not the retailer’s estimate of how much they […]

2 hours ago

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent walks past reporters following an interview with Fox News outside ...

Associated Press

An alarmed bond market gets the Trump administration to act again

NEW YORK (AP) — Normally quiet, the bond market can occasionally send warning signals loud enough to hit stock markets worldwide and even grab the attention of U.S. presidents and other world leaders. After the bond market’s alarm bells rose in volume through the summer, the Trump administration announced on Wednesday a move that could […]

2 hours ago

White House will present Trump’s ballroom project for a review months after construction began