NATIONAL NEWS

Dozens of passengers left hantavirus-stricken cruise ship after first fatality

May 7, 2026, 7:12 AM | Updated: 7:13 am

hantavirus iran cnn...

Health workers in protective gear evacuate patients from the MV Hondius cruise ship into an ambulance at a port in Praia, Cape Verde, Wednesday, May 6, 2026. (Photo: Misper Apawu, The Associated Press)

(Photo: Misper Apawu, The Associated Press)

More than two dozen passengers from at least 12 different countries left a cruise ship hit by a deadly hantavirus outbreak on April 24 without contact tracing, nearly two weeks after the first passenger died on board, the ship operator and Dutch officials said Thursday.

The news raised concerns that the virus could spread as travelers returned home, although experts say the risk to the wider public is considered low as hantavirus isn’t easily transmitted between people.

Even so, the Dutch health ministry said a woman who was not on the ship was being tested for hantavirus and being kept in an isolated ward in an Amsterdam hospital after showing symptoms. The woman was part of a flight crew and had contact with an infected passenger on the plane, it said.

If the woman tests positive, she could be the first known person not on the MV Hondius to become infected in the outbreak.

Health authorities were monitoring people or trying to trace others who may have come into contact with cruise passengers on at least four continents.

Three cruise ship passengers have died in the outbreak, and several others are sick.

First hantavirus case on board was confirmed May 2

Three people, including the ship’s doctor, were evacuated Wednesday while the ship was near the West African island country of Cape Verde and taken to specialized hospitals in Europe for treatment.

The Netherlands-based cruise ship company had previously said the body of the Dutch man who was the first to die on board on April 11 was taken off the ship on the remote South Atlantic island of St. Helena on April 24, when his wife also disembarked. She then flew to South Africa a day later and died there.

The company said Thursday 29 passengers left the vessel at St. Helena, while the Dutch Foreign Ministry put the number at about 40. The company had not previously acknowledged that dozens more people left the ship at that time.

The first confirmed case of hantavirus in a passenger on the ship was only on May 2, the World Health Organization has previously said. That was in a British man evacuated from the ship to South Africa from Ascension Island three days after the St. Helena stop. He was tested in South Africa and is in intensive care there.

The people who left the ship at St. Helena to return to their home countries were of at least 12 different nationalities, Oceanwide Expeditions said. It said there were also two people whose nationalities were unknown.

Hantavirus usually spreads by the inhalation of contaminated rodent droppings and in rare cases can be transmitted from person to person, according to the World Health Organization, whose top epidemic expert said the risk to the public is low.

Symptoms usually show between one and eight weeks after exposure.

It emerged Wednesday that a man tested positive for hantavirus in Switzerland after he also disembarked at St. Helena and flew home, though his precise movements aren’t clear.

On Thursday, Singaporean health authorities said they were monitoring two men who got off the ship at St. Helena and flew to South Africa and then home. The two elderly men, who arrived in Singapore at different times, were being tested for hantavirus and were isolated at the country’s National Center for Infectious Diseases, officials said.

One had a runny nose and the other had no symptoms, Singapore’s Communicable Diseases Agency said.

British health officials say two people who were passengers aboard the ship but flew home midway through the journey are self-isolating but do not have symptoms of illness. The U.K. Health Security Agency said “a small number” of contacts of the two are also self-isolating but are not showing any symptoms. Other contacts are being traced.

Authorities in St. Helena, the remote, volcanic British territory in the South Atlantic where passengers got off, said they were monitoring a small number of people who were considered “higher risk contacts.” Those higher risk contacts were being told to isolate for 45 days, the St. Helena government said.

South Africa is tracing contacts from an April 25 flight

Meanwhile, the vessel is now sailing to Spain’s Canary Islands, a voyage that is expected take three or four days, with more than 140 passengers and crew members still on board.

The body of the third fatality, a German woman, is also still on board the ship after she died on May 2.

Authorities in South Africa are also trying to trace contacts of any passengers who previously got off the ship. They have focused mainly on an April 25 flight from St. Helena to Johannesburg, the day after passengers disembarked there.

The Dutch woman from the cruise ship who later died in South Africa took that flight, officials have said. It’s not known how many other cruise passengers also were among the 88 people on it, but flights from St. Helena go to South Africa and are rare, normally once a week.

Tests have confirmed that at least five people who were on the ship were infected with a hantavirus found in South America, called the Andes virus. It can cause a severe and often fatal lung disease called hantavirus pulmonary syndrome.

Argentina’s health ministry said there were 28 deaths from hantavirus last year, up from an average mortality rate of 15 in the five years before that. Nearly a third of cases last year were fatal, it said.

The Andes strain is the only hantavirus known to spread from human to human.

The ship departed from Argentina and investigations into the source of the outbreak are focusing on that country. The Dutch couple, the first passengers to fall sick, traveled there and elsewhere in South America before boarding the ship, according to WHO.

National News

FILE - Former FBI Director James Comey speaks during a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on Cap...

Associated Press

‘No serious dispute’ that Comey’s seashell post could be read as a Trump threat, prosecutors say

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department is defending its prosecution of former FBI Director James Comey, saying “there is no serious dispute” that a social media post of seashells he made last year could be understood as a threat against President Donald Trump. Prosecutors also called into question Comey’s account that he had found the […]

1 hour ago

Associated Press

Woman sought in Massachusetts officer’s death co-founded mental health group for first responders

WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) — Police investigating the death of an off-duty police officer in Massachusetts in what they called a domestic matter are searching for a woman who co-founded a group that focuses on suicide and mental health issues among first responders. The officer, a 31-year veteran, was found dead at a home in Worcester, […]

1 hour ago

A shopper enters a Target store, Thursday, Aug. 13, 2026, in Woodbury, Minn. (AP Photo/Ellen Schmid...

Associated Press

Target’s comeback quarter: New merchandise, more shoppers and a $994M tariff refund

NEW YORK (AP) — Target reported its second straight quarter of comparable sales gains on Wednesday, saying a merchandising overhaul under the retailer’s new CEO is attracting more customers and boosting sales throughout its stores. Comparable sales — those coming from stores and digital channels operating for at least 12 months —rose 3.8% in the […]

2 hours ago

Sen. Dan Sullivan, R-Alaska, arrives to wave signs at an intersection during morning rush hour in A...

Associated Press

Sen. Sullivan, former US Rep Peltola begin Alaska US Senate campaign after advancing from primary

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Republican U.S. Sen. Dan Sullivan and Democratic former Rep. Mary Peltola wasted no time preparing for their general election campaign after Tuesday’s primary in Alaska, criticizing each other’s records and previewing the next phase of a high-stakes Senate race that has drawn national attention. With control of the chamber on the […]

4 hours ago

U.S. Sen. Darline Graham, R-S.C., speaks with reporters after a debate with U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman,...

Associated Press

National security question trips up Sen. Darline Graham in South Carolina debate

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Darline Graham, who is competing in next week’s runoff election in South Carolina, stumbled over a question about foreign policy in a debate on Tuesday night. “Are Taiwan and the South China Sea national security issues for the United States and if so, why or how?” asked one of the moderators. […]

7 hours ago

FILE - Tyler Robinson, accused of fatally shooting Charlie Kirk, appears during a hearing in 4th Di...

Associated Press

Prosecutors say bullet engraving shows Charlie Kirk was targeted for his politics

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Prosecutors in Charlie Kirk ‘s killing pointed Tuesday to an engraved bullet, arguing that the inscription “Hey Facist! CATCH!” demonstrates that Kirk was targeted for how the defendant perceived his politics. Whether defendant Tyler Robinson acted out of political animus could be key for prosecutors seeking the death penalty — […]

7 hours ago

Dozens of passengers left hantavirus-stricken cruise ship after first fatality