NATIONAL NEWS

Trump-appointed FEMA Review Council proposes sweeping changes to federal disaster support

May 7, 2026, 11:24 AM

FILE - The Federal Emergency Management Agency headquarters is photographed in Washington, May 5, 2...

FILE - The Federal Emergency Management Agency headquarters is photographed in Washington, May 5, 2025. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)

A council meant to reform the Federal Emergency Management Agency proposed Thursday a series of long-awaited changes to the disaster recovery body that stop short of the administration’s promises to dismantle it, but could reduce the number of disasters the federal government supports and the amount of money it doles out.

A council appointed by President Donald Trump to propose reforms to the Federal Emergency Management Agency released a highly anticipated report that recommends sweeping changes to federal disaster support and outlines ways the Trump administration could potentially put far more responsibility on states, tribes and territories for disaster preparedness, response and recovery.

The 12-person council, made up of current and former officials and emergency managers from predominantly Republican-led states, proposed upending how the federal government determines which disasters to support, how FEMA pays states and other governments for disaster recovery costs, and what kind of FEMA assistance survivors receive, among other reforms. Nearly 6,000 attendees watched the meeting virtually.

“These recommendations are all about accelerating federal dollars, streamlining the process, making it less bureaucratic so that Americans can get the help they need on the worst day of their lives,” said former Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin, a council member.

Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin said in the council’s meeting on Thursday that the report offered him “a clear direction and an oversight of an agency that is in need of reform, but is still mission capable.”

The recommendations will now be sent to Trump, though many of the reforms would require congressional action.

The White House did not immediately respond to questions about whether Trump endorses the recommendations or what actions the administration might take next.

National News

FILE – Larry Greene, public information director of the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility, demo...

Associated Press

Ohio death row inmate Tyrone Noling gets a rare chance to ask parole board for a pardon

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Tyrone Noling has spent 30 years on death row for the double murder of an elderly Ohio couple that he insists he didn’t commit. He had a rare chance Tuesday to make his case for a full pardon to the Ohio Parole Board. Noling, 54, of Alliance, assembled a growing body […]

8 minutes ago

FILE - In this photo provided by U.S. Navy, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfol...

Associated Press

US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard broke down for four days in the Pacific

WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. Navy destroyer with about 300 sailors aboard suffered a major breakdown in the Pacific Ocean last month that left it without power for four days, the Navy confirmed in a statement. The USS Benfold “reported an engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power” on July 24, Navy […]

19 minutes ago

Associated Press

Georgia man charged with burglarizing NASCAR driver Greg Biffle’s home after plane crash

STATESVILLE, N.C. (AP) — A Georgia man burglarized former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle’s home after learning Biffle and his family died in a plane crash, a North Carolina sheriff said Tuesday. Terrell Williams, 44, has been charged with second-degree burglary, safe cracking, money laundering and other felonies, Iredell County Sheriff Darren Campbell announced at a […]

32 minutes ago

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent walks past reporters following an interview with Fox News outside ...

Associated Press

Woman accused of plotting to kill Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is sentenced to 6 years in prison

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Massachusetts woman who told police that she brought homemade firebombs to the U.S. Capitol to kill Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent was sentenced on Tuesday to just over six years in prison. Riley English, a 26-year-old transgender woman, said she was in the grips of a mental health crisis and abusing drugs […]

1 hour ago

FILE - A poster of Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a man killed by U.S. Immigration and Customs E...

Associated Press

Congresswoman says target of ICE operation in fatal Maine shooting wasn’t up for removal

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The person Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents targeted in Maine last month when an officer shot and killed a motorist was a roommate who was not subject to a final removal order, a Democratic congresswoman from the state said. Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a 25-year-old Colombian national, was shot and killed […]

2 hours ago

U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., speaks with attendees at the South Carolina Republican Party's Silv...

Associated Press

AP Interview: Ralph Norman questions Trump’s endorsement of Darline Graham in South Carolina runoff

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) — U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman says it’s a “head scratcher” that President Donald Trump endorsed Sen. Darline Graham in South Carolina’s Republican Senate runoff, saying his experience in Congress and business — and consistent votes for Trump’s priorities — make him the stronger candidate to replace the late Sen. Lindsey Graham. Norman’s […]

2 hours ago

Trump-appointed FEMA Review Council proposes sweeping changes to federal disaster support