NATIONAL NEWS

Trump says EU has until July 4 to approve last year’s trade deal or it will face higher tariffs

May 7, 2026, 12:19 PM

President Donald Trump meets with UFC fighters, Wednesday, May 6, 2026, in the Oval Office of the W...

President Donald Trump meets with UFC fighters, Wednesday, May 6, 2026, in the Oval Office of the White House, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said in a Thursday social media post that goods from the European Union would face higher tariff rates if the 27-member bloc fails to approve last year’s trade framework by July 4.

Trump made the announcement after what he described as a “great call” with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

Still, the U.S. president was displeased that the European Parliament had yet to finalize the trade arrangement reached last year, which was further complicated in February by the U.S. Supreme Court ruling that Trump lacked the legal authority to declare an economic emergency to impose the initial tariffs used to pressure the EU into talks.

“A promise was made that the EU would deliver their side of the Deal and, as per Agreement, cut their Tariffs to ZERO!” Trump posted. “I agreed to give her until our Country’s 250th Birthday or, unfortunately, their Tariffs would immediately jump to much higher levels.”

National News

Associated Press

Georgia man charged with burglarizing NASCAR driver Greg Biffle’s home after plane crash

STATESVILLE, N.C. (AP) — A Georgia man burglarized former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle’s home after learning Biffle and his family died in a plane crash, a North Carolina sheriff said Tuesday. Terrell Williams, 44, has been charged with second-degree burglary, safe cracking, money laundering and other felonies, Iredell County Sheriff Darren Campbell announced at a […]

7 minutes ago

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent walks past reporters following an interview with Fox News outside ...

Associated Press

Woman accused of plotting to kill Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is sentenced to 6 years in prison

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Massachusetts woman who told police that she brought homemade firebombs to the U.S. Capitol to kill Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent was sentenced on Tuesday to just over six years in prison. Riley English, a 26-year-old transgender woman, said she was in the grips of a mental health crisis and abusing drugs […]

57 minutes ago

FILE - A poster of Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a man killed by U.S. Immigration and Customs E...

Associated Press

Congresswoman says target of ICE operation in fatal Maine shooting wasn’t up for removal

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The person Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents targeted in Maine last month when an officer shot and killed a motorist was a roommate who was not subject to a final removal order, a Democratic congresswoman from the state said. Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a 25-year-old Colombian national, was shot and killed […]

1 hour ago

U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., speaks with attendees at the South Carolina Republican Party's Silv...

Associated Press

AP Interview: Ralph Norman questions Trump’s endorsement of Darline Graham in South Carolina runoff

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) — U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman says it’s a “head scratcher” that President Donald Trump endorsed Sen. Darline Graham in South Carolina’s Republican Senate runoff, saying his experience in Congress and business — and consistent votes for Trump’s priorities — make him the stronger candidate to replace the late Sen. Lindsey Graham. Norman’s […]

1 hour ago

Associated Press

Trump administration moves ahead to end roadless rule on national forests

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The Trump administration announced Tuesday it is moving ahead with plans to rescind a quarter-century-old rule that blocked logging, road building and other development on national forest lands, drawing the ire of environmentalists nationwide. The U.S. Forest Service is filing a proposal that would scrap the so called roadless rule adopted […]

1 hour ago

FILE - Detailed view of a San Diego Padres logo on a pitching mound during batting practice prior t...

Associated Press

Former Venezuelan player working for San Diego Padres is detained by ICE

A former Venezuelan baseball player working for the San Diego Padres was detained by U.S. immigration officials after arriving in Texas on a work trip for the club, his family said Tuesday. Oswaldo Pirela, a catching coach in the Padres’ minor league system, was being held in a detention center in El Paso, federal records […]

2 hours ago

Trump says EU has until July 4 to approve last year’s trade deal or it will face higher tariffs