MYNORTHWEST NEWS

City of Seattle opens first permanent RV safe lot, sweeps camp in Magnolia

Feb 19, 2016, 12:22 PM | Updated: 1:07 pm

The City of Seattle is opening its first permanent lot set aside for RV residents. (Don O’Nei...

The City of Seattle is opening its first permanent lot set aside for RV residents. (Don O'Neill/KIRO Radio)

(Don O'Neill/KIRO Radio)

The City of Seattle is opening its first permanent lot set aside for RV residents.

Officials expect just one or two people to move into the Ballard parking lot on Friday, with more streaming in next week.

Related: Homeless woman praises Tent City 5

Many RVs are currently parked at a temporary lot about a mile away. Residents are reviewing the city’s code of conduct ahead of their move.

A second lot will open at Interbay, but it was delayed while the city irons out potential issues at the Ballard lot.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, who has declared a state of emergency over homelessness, has said the lots are not a long-term solution, but merely a temporary fix.

“Without a re-engaged federal government, without a re-engaged state government, there will be no solution to this problem,” Murray said.

On the same day it’s opening the RV lot, the city is stepping up its efforts to clear an illegal encampment.

Under the Magnolia Bridge on Friday, a bulldozer plowed through a pile of garbage strewn amidst the last belongings of a couple dozen people.

“I feel like we need to do everything we can to make services more equitable and respond to people’s needs in a humane way,” said Kelley Craig with homeless services agency Reach.

Craig said her counselors have been out for several days trying to offer advice and services to those ordered to move.

Campers told Craig they’ll just find another place to set up, with few showing interest in a shelter or other services.

Sign up for breaking news alerts

KIRO Radio’s Jillian Raftery and Josh Kerns contributed to this report.

MyNorthwest News

graham girl...

Katy Wade, KIRO 7 News

Family shares fundraiser for 5-year-old girl killed in Graham

A fundraiser has been started to support the family of a 5-year-old girl who was found dead in a Graham yard last week.

2 hours ago

executive order safter streets katie wilson...

James Lynch

Mayor Wilson signs executive order to accelerate street safety projects as Seattle falls short on Vision Zero

Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson announced a new executive order Friday aimed at making Seattle’s streets safer for everyone.

3 hours ago

sea airport pipeline...

MyNorthwest Staff

Alaska Airlines flight attendants file grievance over staffing on long-haul international flights

Alaska Airlines flight attendants filed a grievance last week, stating the airline has been understaffing its newest long-haul routes from Seattle.

3 hours ago

renton party stabbing bottle...

Jason Sutich

Renton party turns violent after person stabs another with broken bottle

A person in Renton broke up an argument at a party by smashing a bottle and stabbing another person in the leg early Friday morning.

4 hours ago

invasive insect...

KIRO 7 News Staff

Invasive insect may threaten Washington ash trees, weaken state ecosystems

An invasive insect, the Emerald Ash Borer (EAB), has been spotted near the Vancouver border.

4 hours ago

Boeing (3)...

KIRO Newsradio staff

Boeing’s white-collar union rejects contract, authorizes strike despite largest pay offer since 1983

Boeing's white-collar union voted down a proposed contract, authorizing a strike.

4 hours ago

City of Seattle opens first permanent RV safe lot, sweeps camp in Magnolia