MYNORTHWEST NEWS

Report: City wouldn’t admit wrongdoing in head tax settlement

Jun 29, 2018, 8:09 AM

head tax, seattle city council, saul spady...

The Seattle City Council discusses a head tax repeal. (File, Associated Press)

(File, Associated Press)

The City of Seattle is willing to pay $4,001 in order to settle a lawsuit connected to the head tax repeal this month. If accepted, the city wouldn’t admit the majority of the city council and Mayor Jenny Durkan violated the Open Public Meetings Act, The Seattle Times reports.

RELATED: Seattle head tax 101

The lawsuit was filed after the Seattle City Council voted 7-2 to repeal the head tax it unanimously approved only a month before. It alleges that during the days leading up to the vote, several council members and the mayor deliberated out of the public eye before suddenly calling a special meeting to repeal the tax.

Some believe a joint statement, backed by the seven council members who voted to repeal the head tax and the mayor, released prior to the special meeting is further proof of what Kshama Sawant called “backroom betrayal.”

There are also concerns that the city did not give the proper notice of the special meeting. City Attorney Pete Holmes previously said the council met the requirements of the Open Public Meetings Act and gave plenty of notice.

Under state law, each council member found in violation of the Open Public Meetings Act could face a fine of $500. The proposed settlement would cover that. One of the attorneys suing the city told the Times they aren’t sure they will accept the settlement.

The head tax would have targeted more than 500 of the city’s largest businesses. Those businesses earning more than $20 million per year would have been taxed $275 per employee per year. That would have raised an estimated $47 million to address the homelessness and affordability crisis.

The tax received strong push-back from the business community, which helped fund a signature-gathering campaign to get a repeal on the November ballot. More than 40,000 signatures were collected and turned in — though more as a precaution.

MyNorthwest News

starbucks lay off seattle...

KIRO 7 News Staff

Starbucks laying off more than 200 employees including those who declined Nashville move

Starbucks is laying off more than 200 employees – including those who declined to move to Nashville.

1 hour ago

missing hiker jakhobi hale seattle...

Frank Sumrall

Family of missing Seattle hiker seeks community support after 3-month search

An endangered 21-year-old man from Seattle has been missing since May, and his family is asking the local community for support in the search.

2 hours ago

longview masturbating daycare...

KIRO 7 News Staff

Longview Police: Man arrested for masturbating outside daycare

A 46-year-old Longview man was arrested yesterday morning after police said he exposed himself and masturbated outside a local daycare.

3 hours ago

Pike Place Market car-free vehicles...

MyNorthwest Staff

Pike Place Market could reopen to vehicles Monday through Thursday, starting Oct. 1

Seattle wants to bring some vehicle traffic back to Pike Place Market this fall and winter.

4 hours ago

I-5 off-ramp DUI SR 18...

Frank Sumrall

Northbound I-5 off-ramp to SR 18 reopens after 4.5-hour DUI closure

The northbound I-5 off-ramp to eastbound SR 18 reopened Thursday morning after a single-car collision blocked the roadway for nearly 4.5 hours.

6 hours ago

Bite of Seattle shooting mayor katie wilson recall...

Madeline Ottilie, KIRO 7 News

Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson responds to recall effort against her as hearing date approaches

Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson addressed reporters Wednesday who asked about the recall petition filed against her while speaking about an unrelated executive order.

6 hours ago

Report: City wouldn’t admit wrongdoing in head tax settlement