MYNORTHWEST NEWS

Seattle City Attorney says no evidence SPD violated court order

Jul 30, 2020, 7:11 AM | Updated: 7:12 am

order...

Demonstrators use shields while blocking an intersection near the Seattle Police East Precinct during protests on July 26, 2020 in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by David Ryder/Getty Images)

(Photo by David Ryder/Getty Images)

The City of Seattle says there is no evidence the Seattle Police Department violated a court order barring the indiscriminate use of crowd control weapons during Saturday’s riot.

Responding to a motion from the ACLU and Black Lives Matter asking the judge to find the city in contempt, the city attorney’s office argues evidence they’ve seen shows officers made a reasonable effort to avoid indiscriminate use of pepper spray, blast balls, and other crowd control weapons, and acted in good faith. That, they say, does not rise to the level necessary to prove contempt.

When Black Lives Matter Seattle-King County and several protesters first sued the city of Seattle and SPD last month over the use of crowd control weapons by police in early June protests, Judge Jones issued a temporary restraining order that’s now a preliminary injunction barring SPD from indiscriminate use of tear gas, pepper spray, or other crowd control weapons against anyone engaging in peaceful protests or demonstrations.

However, the judge made clear the order did not block individual officers from using blast balls, flash-bangs, pepper spray, rubber or foam tipped bullets or other projectiles to take “necessary, reasonable, proportional, and targeted action to protect against a specific imminent threat of physical harm to themselves or identifiable others or to respond to specific acts of violence or destruction of property.”

The following motion from the ACLU and BLM claimed officers brazenly violated that order, hitting many peaceful protesters with blast balls, pepper spray, and blunt force objects when police indiscriminately used those weapons against the crowd.

On Tuesday of this week, Judge Jones ordered the city of Seattle to respond to the motion by noon Wednesday, July 29.

City Attorney Pete Holmes argued the evidence does not show that officers intentionally targeted any peaceful protesters, medical, press, or legal observers, let alone retaliate intentionally. Additionally, even if one officer violated the order, they cannot all be held in contempt.

 

Cleanup underway in Seattle after weekend protests turn to riot

If the judge disagrees and the court does find the actions to be in contempt with the limited evidence available, the city attorney’s office asks for a 60-day extension to respond to the claim in order to allow enough time for a complete investigation.

The full response is available here. Oral arguments are scheduled for Friday, July 31.

MyNorthwest News

pierce county motorcycle crash drunk...

James Lynch

Motorcyclist killed by suspected drunk driver while stopped at red light in Pierce County

A motorcyclist was killed Wednesday afternoon when a suspected drunk driver slammed into the back of his Harley-Davidson at a busy intersection in Pierce County.

16 minutes ago

Alaska Airlines seattle paris...

KIRO 7 News Staff

Alaska Airlines announces nonstop flights from Seattle to Athens and Paris

Alaska Airlines is adding two new nonstop flights from Seattle to Europe.

1 hour ago

starbucks lay off seattle...

KIRO 7 News Staff

Starbucks laying off more than 200 employees including those who declined Nashville move

Starbucks is laying off more than 200 employees – including those who declined to move to Nashville.

3 hours ago

missing hiker jakhobi hale seattle...

Frank Sumrall

Family of missing Seattle hiker seeks community support after 3-month search

An endangered 21-year-old man from Seattle has been missing since May, and his family is asking the local community for support in the search.

4 hours ago

longview masturbating daycare...

KIRO 7 News Staff

Longview Police: Man arrested for masturbating outside daycare

A 46-year-old Longview man was arrested yesterday morning after police said he exposed himself and masturbated outside a local daycare.

5 hours ago

Pike Place Market car-free vehicles...

MyNorthwest Staff

Pike Place Market could reopen to vehicles Monday through Thursday, starting Oct. 1

Seattle wants to bring some vehicle traffic back to Pike Place Market this fall and winter.

6 hours ago

Seattle City Attorney says no evidence SPD violated court order