MYNORTHWEST POLITICS

US and Iranian negotiators reach tentative deal to extend ceasefire and launch nuclear talks

May 28, 2026, 10:12 AM

Iran war ceasefire US Trump...

A ship that his struck earlier in the war remains anchored on May 16, 2026 in the Strait of Hormuz near Larak Island, Iran. (Photo: Majid Saeedi, Getty Images)

(Photo: Majid Saeedi, Getty Images)

U.S. and Iranian negotiators reached a tentative agreement Thursday to extend the ceasefire in the 3-month-old war by 60 days and launch talks on Iran’s nuclear program, according to a U.S. official familiar with the matter.

The official, who was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity, said President Donald Trump still needs to sign off on the emerging memorandum of understanding.

Iran did not immediately confirm any tentative deal with the United States.

The tentative agreement worked out by the two sides comes at a moment when the fragile ceasefire between the U.S. and Iran appeared to be wavering.

The U.S. military earlier on Thursday accused Iran of violating the ceasefire after Kuwait reported coming under attack following an American strike against the Islamic Republic. It was the latest flare-up of fighting to threaten ongoing negotiations to end the war.

Details of the tentative agreement were first reported by the news outlet Axios.

U.S. Central Command said Kuwait intercepted missiles fired from Iran late Wednesday, and military officials called the attack on one of America’s top allies in the Persian Gulf an “egregious ceasefire violation.”

Kuwait had earlier announced an attack on its territory, and Iran said it had retaliated for strikes earlier in the week by firing on a U.S. base in an Gulf state it did not name. The Kuwaiti Foreign Ministry condemned Iran for what it called “blatant aggression.”

The exchange unfolded after U.S. officials said late Wednesday in Washington that American forces launched more strikes on Iran, shooting down four one-way attack drones that posed a threat around the Strait of Hormuz and hitting an Iranian ground-control station in Bandar Abbas that was about to launch a fifth drone.

Washington and Tehran have repeatedly accused each other of violating the seven-week ceasefire and have traded strikes throughout the week. But they have not returned to full-scale hostilities and have kept negotiating. Trump has insisted he’s confident that his administration is making headway in the talks.

On Monday, the U.S. said it conducted what the Pentagon called “self-defense” strikes on missile launch sites and minelaying boats in southern Iran.

After the latest American strikes, Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard acknowledged the attack around Bandar Abbas International Airport. The Iranian force said via the state-run IRNA news agency that it launched a retaliatory attack on the air base that launched the assaults, without specifying whether the retaliation targeted Kuwait, which is home to U.S. Army Central’s forward headquarters, air bases and a naval base.

Kuwait’s military announced that its air-defense systems intercepted incoming missiles and drones on Thursday, without detailing what had been targeted. Kuwait repeatedly came under fire from Iran and Iranian-backed Shiite militias in Iraq before the April ceasefire began.

The announcement comes as the Middle East is on the edge and talks to end the war remain in flux.

Trump is looking for an agreement that will reopen the strait, through which about a fifth of all traded oil and natural gas once passed. He also is seeking to get Iran to give up its stockpile of highly enriched uranium. The war has been unpopular in the U.S., and Iran’s closure of the strait has sent oil prices skyrocketing, driving up fuel prices around the world.

The Islamic Republic wants economic sanctions to be lifted and frozen assets to be released to aid its shattered economy. Iran also insists that any deal must include an end to Israel’s military operations in Lebanon against the Iranian-backed militant group Hezbollah.

A U.S.-brokered ceasefire went into effect in Lebanon in mid-April, and Lebanese and Israeli military officials are set to hold their first security talks Friday in Washington. But the ceasefire has been tested, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned Monday that his country was stepping up attacks after Hezbollah fired fiber-optic exploding drones that struck Israeli troops in Lebanon and reached some of Israel’s northern border towns.

Tensions deepened Thursday as Israel conducted an airstrike on a southern suburb of the capital, Beirut, and other strikes in the southern coastal city of Tyre. At least 14 people were killed across the country’s south.

MyNorthwest Politics

Bite of Seattle Center shooting...

James Lynch

‘A two-strike approach’: Seattle Center shooting prompts renewed push to toughen juvenile gun laws

The deadly Seattle Center shooting is fueling a renewed push from Representative David Hackney to tighten Washington’s juvenile firearm laws.

9 hours ago

Roadless Rule...

Tim Hohl

Trump admin. moves to repeal Roadless Rule, putting 2 million acres of Washington forest at risk

About 2 million acres of national forest land in Washington could lose protections as the Trump admin. moves ahead to repeal the Roadless Rule.

13 hours ago

recall katie wilson...

John Curley Show

‘A little outside the bounds of credulity’: Curley questions who’s behind the Katie Wilson recall effort

According to John Curley, Seattle has been here before, and history isn't on the recall petition's side to remove Katie Wilson from office.

2 days ago

Cascade Party...

John Curley Show

‘You see a donkey, you see an elephant, we want people to see an owl’: Nirvana’s Krist Novoselic pitches his Cascade Party

Krist Novoselic is best known as the bassist of Nirvana, but has built a second life in politics, one that has led him to chair the Cascade Party

3 days ago

Bite of Seattle shooting mayor...

Gee Scott and Ursula Reutin Show

‘She does not have a better window’: Seattle Councilmember Bob Kettle clashes with Mayor Wilson over Bite of Seattle response

Seattle City Councilmember Bob Kettle said Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson does not have a better read on public safety than the council.

6 days ago

seattle mayor katie wilson recall...

MyNorthwest Staff

‘She’s failed this city miserably’: Seattle woman behind Mayor Wilson recall effort explains why she filed charges

Seattle resident files recall charges against Mayor Katie Wilson, citing public safety failures from the Bite of Seattle to the crisis on Aurora Avenue.

6 days ago

US and Iranian negotiators reach tentative deal to extend ceasefire and launch nuclear talks