NATIONAL NEWS

A judge weighs extending protections for refugees in Minnesota facing arrest and deportation

Feb 18, 2026, 9:05 PM | Updated: Feb 19, 2026, 3:38 pm

Hundreds of people attend a rally in the rotunda of the Minnesota State Capitol in St. Paul, Minn.,...

Hundreds of people attend a rally in the rotunda of the Minnesota State Capitol in St. Paul, Minn., Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, to urge leaders to support economic recovery in the wake of the Trump administration's immigration crackdown in the state. (AP Photo/Steve Karnowski)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Steve Karnowski)

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A federal judge will hear arguments Thursday on whether he should extend an order that protects Minnesota refugees who are lawfully in the U.S. from being arrested and deported.

U.S. District Judge John Tunheim blocked the government from targeting these refugees last month, saying the plaintiffs in the case were likely to prevail on their claims “that their arrest and detention, and the policy that purports to justify them, are unlawful.” His Jan. 28 temporary restraining order will expire Feb. 25 unless he grants a more permanent preliminary injunction.

Refugee rights groups sued the federal government in January after the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in mid-December launched Operation PARRIS, an acronym for Post-Admission Refugee Reverification and Integrity Strengthening.

It was billed as a “sweeping initiative” to reexamine the cases of 5,600 Minnesota refugees who had not yet been granted permanent resident status, also known as green cards. The agencies cited fraud in public programs in Minnesota as justification.

Operation PARRIS was part of the Trump administration’s broader immigration crackdown that targeted Minnesota, including the surge of thousands of federal officers into the state. Homeland Security said it was its largest immigration enforcement operation ever. It also sparked mass protests after the shooting deaths of Renee Good and Alex Pretti. White House border czar Tom Homan announced last week the surge was ending, though a small federal presence would remain.

The lawsuit alleges that ICE officers went door to door under Operation PARRIS arresting refugees and sending them to detention centers in Texas, without access to attorneys. Some were later released on the streets of Texas and left to find their own way back to Minnesota, they said.

The judge rejected the government’s claim that it had the legal right to arrest and detain refugees who haven’t obtained their green cards within a year of arriving in the U.S. He said that would be illogical and nonsensical, given that refugees can’t apply for permanent residency until they’ve been in the U.S. for a year.

Tunheim noted in his order, which applies only in Minnesota, that refugees are extensively vetted by multiple agencies before being resettled in the U.S. He wrote that none arrested in the operation had been deemed a danger to the community or a flight risk, nor had any been charged with crimes that could be grounds for deportation.

The judge cited several cases involving plaintiffs named in the lawsuit, including one man identified only as U.H.A., a refugee with no criminal history. He was admitted into the U.S. in 2024 and was arrested by ICE while driving to work on Jan. 18 this year. “He was pulled over, ordered out of his car, handcuffed, and detained, without a warrant or apparent justification,” the judge wrote.

Tunheim stressed that the refugees impacted by his order were admitted into the U.S. because of persecution in their home countries. He prohibited further arrests under Operation PARRIS and ordered that all detainees still in custody from it be released and returned to Minnesota.

“They are not committing crimes on our streets, nor did they illegally cross the border. Refugees have a legal right to be in the United States, a right to work, a right to live peacefully — and importantly, a right not to be subjected to the terror of being arrested and detained without warrants or cause in their homes or on their way to religious services or to buy groceries,” he wrote.

“At its best, America serves as a haven of individual liberties in a world too often full of tyranny and cruelty. We abandon that ideal when we subject our neighbors to fear and chaos,” he continued.

In a follow-up order Feb. 9, Tunheim rejected a government motion to lift the temporary restraining order.

National News

Soldiers participate in the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Yilan, northeastern Taiwan, Mond...

Associated Press

Why Taiwan and the South China Sea matter to the US and the world

When U.S. Sen. Darline Graham struggled to answer in a debate whether the U.S. has a national security interest in Taiwan and the South China Sea, she drew criticism for saying national security was “not my thing.” Taiwan and the South China Sea have long been major issues in U.S. foreign policy, and tensions involving […]

27 minutes ago

FILE - North Carolina defensive lineman Melkart Abou-Jaoude (9) follows a play against Central Flor...

Associated Press

States pour taxpayer dollars into college sports as athlete pay, soaring costs squeeze budgets

Win or lose, the North Carolina Tar Heels already will be in elite company when they kick off the college football season against Texas Christian University in a game played in Dublin. They will be among a small but growing number of athletic programs receiving taxpayer funding from their home states. With universities competing to […]

31 minutes ago

FILE - The Boston harbor and the city skyline are photographed, Oct. 28, 2022, in Boston. (AP Photo...

Associated Press

Democrats narrow their list of 2028 presidential convention sites to Boston, Denver and Philadelphia

Democrats on Thursday narrowed the list of potential host cities for their 2028 presidential convention to Boston, Denver and Philadelphia as their party looks ahead to a wide-open primary to succeed President Donald Trump. Democratic National Committee Chairman Ken Martin said in a statement the cities put forward “incredibly strong bids,” and he promised the […]

32 minutes ago

Papyrus Conservation Summer Seminar student Shijin (Giada) Jiang examines a papyrus fragment at the...

Associated Press

Inside one of the world’s few crash courses in conserving and caring for ancient papyrus manuscripts

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Shijin Jiang pulled the precision binocular headband magnifier over her eyes and hunched down within a few inches of the ancient text resting on a light board. Using a pair of hand tools, Shijin carefully inspected the sheet made from the papyrus plant, proceeding with the utmost care. After all, […]

5 hours ago

A man waves an Iranian flag during a pro-government gathering at a square in Tehran, Iran, Tuesday,...

Associated Press

A quiet channel between ICE and Iran shaped deportation flights, newly released emails show

LOS ANGELES (AP) — U.S. immigration officials worked with Iran to deport Iranians in 2025, newly released emails show, revealing a working relationship between the U.S. and Iranian governments despite tensions mounting between the countries. Hundreds of emails exchanged between U.S. immigration officials, which were obtained by the National Iranian American Council and made public […]

6 hours ago

Associated Press

Judge will consider new trial for Karmelo Anthony in Texas track meet killing

McKINNEY, Texas (AP) — A judge on Thursday will consider whether to grant Texas teenager Karmelo Anthony a new trial following his murder conviction earlier this summer in the stabbing death of a 17-year-old athlete at a high school track meet. In a legal victory for Anthony, the judge who presided over his trial was […]

6 hours ago

A judge weighs extending protections for refugees in Minnesota facing arrest and deportation