NATIONAL NEWS

ICE extends no-bid contract for major detention center in Texas, rejecting calls for closure

Jul 27, 2026, 11:35 AM

FILE - A sign marks the entrance to a series of hardened tents at the Camp East Montana immigrant d...

FILE - A sign marks the entrance to a series of hardened tents at the Camp East Montana immigrant detention center in the desert at a U.S. Army base on the outskirts of El Paso, Texas, Feb. 13, 2026. (AP Photo/Morgan Lee, File)
Credit: AP Photo/Morgan Lee

(AP Photo/Morgan Lee, File)

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement plans to keep one of its largest and most expensive detention facilities open for at least another year despite calls to close it over reported human rights abuses, according to a notice published last week.

ICE plans to extend the no-bid contract of the firm that runs Camp East Montana in El Paso, Texas, through Sept. 30, 2027, at a potential additional cost to taxpayers of $776 million, the notice says. This is on top of a $452 million initial contract that the firm, Amentum Services Inc., was awarded in March when it was hastily installed to take over the camp’s operation from a contractor removed for poor performance.

For months, Democratic members of Congress and several advocacy organizations have called for Camp East Montana to be closed, citing reports that detainees have been routinely mistreated since its opening in August 2025.

A report released earlier this month by Human Rights Watch and the American Civil Liberties Union alleged that staff routinely beat detainees, denied them medical care, made them live in filthy conditions and fed them inedible meals. Reports by federal agencies have also found unsafe detention conditions and that the Army and ICE have wasted millions of dollars paying for unnecessary services. At least three Camp East Montana detainees have died.

The facility at Fort Bliss, an Army base near the U.S.-Mexico border, has housed an average of more than 2,000 male and female detainees a day since Oct. 1, though its population has declined significantly in recent months, according to ICE data.

“Extending Amentum’s contract while ignoring well-documented abuses is reckless and demonstrates the Trump administration’s full-scale assault on human rights,” said Angélica César, a fellow at Human Rights Watch and the ACLU who was a lead researcher for the report. “Instead of holding private contractors accountable, DHS is choosing to perpetuate a system of harm and abuse.”

Chanel Mann, a spokesperson for Amentum, referred questions to ICE and its parent agency, the Department of Homeland Security, which didn’t immediately return messages seeking comment.

ICE’s notice was a justification for extending Amentum Services’ contract for a year without a competitive bidding process.

The agency argued that relocating detainees to other facilities would be “impracticable” due to a lack of available bed space elsewhere. Transitioning to a different contractor would require replacing Amentum’s “proprietary infrastructure” and finding new workers, which would lead to duplicative costs, it said.

“Any lapse in contract coverage would directly threaten the life, safety, and well-being of detainees, severely disrupt law enforcement operations, and expose the government to substantial operational, legal, and humanitarian risks,” the notice says.

ICE’s notice said the Army’s initial contract, awarded to Acquisition Logistics LLC, “did not accurately reflect ICE’s operational needs or the actual usage of the facility.” Acquisition Logistics had no prior experience operating detention facilities.

In all, Virginia-based Amentum stands to be paid more than $1.2 billion if it operates the camp from March 2026 through September 2027, the notice says.

National News

Associated Press

The US national debt now stands at $40 trillion

WASHINGTON (AP) — The national debt surpassed a record $40 trillion on Wednesday, a staggering milestone as defense costs, social programs like Social Security and Medicare and interest on the burgeoning deficit to make up an enormous share of federal spending. The milestone figure was recorded just five months after the U.S. hit a record […]

5 minutes ago

FILE - The Pentagon is seen from the air, July 15, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, Fil...

Associated Press

Longtime publisher of Stars and Stripes to retire, citing differences with Pentagon leadership

The longtime publisher of Stars and Stripes has announced his retirement, ending a decades-long career with the military newspaper as Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s Pentagon moves to exert editorial control and eliminate what it asserts are “woke distractions.” Max D. Lederer Jr. announced his retirement, effective at the end of September, in a memo to […]

22 minutes ago

FILE - Dr. Erica Schwartz testifies during a Senate Health Education Labor and Pensions committee c...

Associated Press

New CDC director acknowledges agency problems in first large staff meeting

NEW YORK (AP) — In her first large staff meeting, the new director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention promised Wednesday to advocate for the agency while acknowledging that congressionally funded programs lacked staff and employees were feeling burned out. Dr. Erica Schwartz also said she wouldn’t hesitate to disagree with U.S. Health […]

25 minutes ago

Lindsay Clancy listens during her murder trial Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026, in Plymouth, Mass. (Amanda...

Associated Press

Psychologist testifies Lindsay Clancy was not criminally responsible in killing of her 3 children

PLYMOUTH, Mass. (AP) — Lindsay Clancy didn’t appreciate the “wrongfulness” of killing her three children because of her mental health issues, a psychologist testifying for the defense said at her murder trial Wednesday. The testimony of Dr. Paul Zeizel is the strongest evidence yet to support the defense contentions that Clancy should not be held […]

51 minutes ago

Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc, left, and United States Trade Representative Jamieson G...

Associated Press

Trump says US and Canada have a trade deal, but key terms remain unclear

WASHINGTON (AP) — Canada has dodged President Donald Trump’s threat of 50% tariffs — at least for now. Trump went on social media late Tuesday to say he was pausing for three days the taxes on $20 billion worth of Canadian imports less than two hours before they were set to go into effect. Speaking […]

2 hours ago

Parents hold pictures of their deceased children during a protest against social media platforms ou...

Associated Press

Former Meta engineer says Instagram took a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ approach on kids under 13

OAKLAND, California (AP) — A former engineering director at Meta who has testified before Congress about child safety on Instagram told jurors Wednesday at a landmark trial that the company took a “don’t ask, don’t tell” approach on kids under 13 on its platforms. During his second day of testimony, Arturo Béjar said Meta consistently […]

2 hours ago

ICE extends no-bid contract for major detention center in Texas, rejecting calls for closure