NATIONAL NEWS

Judge postpones civil trial over deadly collapse of Baltimore’s Key Bridge after late settlements

Jun 1, 2026, 8:59 AM

The Edward A. Garmatz United States District Courthouse is seen Monday, June 1, 2026, in Baltimore....

The Edward A. Garmatz United States District Courthouse is seen Monday, June 1, 2026, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)
Credit: AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough

(AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

BALTIMORE (AP) — A federal judge agreed Monday to postpone a civil trial over the 2024 collapse of Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge after a flurry of last-minute settlements resolved most of the remaining claims.

U.S. District Judge James Bredar expressed frustration about the timing of last week’s settlements, including deals resolving all pending claims over the deaths of six construction workers. The workers were filling potholes when the container ship Dali lost power and crashed into the bridge in the early morning hours of March 26, 2024.

Virtually all of the unresolved claims are alleging economic losses by businesses and local governments. None of the remaining parties were asking to start the trial as scheduled this week.

Bredar, who was nominated to the bench by Democratic President Barack Obama, was scheduled to hear attorneys’ opening statements on Monday for a trial expected to last approximately five weeks. He postponed the proceedings indefinitely to consider legal arguments that could lead to further settlements and possibly end the litigation without a trial.

Bredar said he was “highly frustrated,” but acknowledged that civil cases often settle on the eve of trial.

“It’s not directed at just one side or another. It takes two to tango,” Bredar said. “I’m frustrated on behalf of the public (and) the court.”

Details of the settlements with families of the construction workers weren’t publicly disclosed.

Less than two weeks ago, Bredar rejected a prior request to delay the trial after the filing of criminal charges against companies that managed the Dali.

On May 12, Justice Department prosecutors announced the indictment against Singapore-based Synergy Marine Pte Ltd. and Chennai, India-based Synergy Maritime Pte Ltd.

The operator of the Dali and its technical superintendent are charged with conspiracy, misconduct causing death, failing to immediately inform the U.S. Coast Guard of a hazardous condition, obstructing the National Transportation Safety Board and making false statements.

The criminal indictment accuses the ship operator of intentionally relying on an improper fuel pump and then lying about it to investigators.

Synergy Marine accused prosecutors of improperly treating an accident as a crime and said it would “vigorously” defend itself against the indictment’s “inaccurate” allegations.

“This was a maritime casualty that should be assessed through the full factual, technical and regulatory record, rather than through selective mischaracterizations in a criminal indictment,” the company said in a statement last month.

In April, a $2.25 billion settlement was announced between the state of Maryland, Synergy Marine and Grace Ocean Private Limited, the Singapore-based ship owner. Grace Ocean hasn’t been charged with any crimes related to the collapse.

The list of claimants with unresolved claims includes the city of Baltimore, which has claims for economic losses it blames on the bridge’s destruction. The city joined the companies in asking for the trial to be delayed.

National News

President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with technology leaders in the Roosevelt Room of the...

Associated Press

President Donald Trump announces plan to lower beef prices, but some Republicans are already balking

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump announced Friday that his administration will allow more beef to be temporarily imported into the U.S. without triggering higher tariffs, as he remains under pressure to cut costs and address affordability issues ahead of November’s midterms. The president said on social media that he had committed to ensuring the […]

7 minutes ago

A man and a child observe a daily nationwide minute of silence in memory of soldiers killed in the ...

Associated Press

Russian strike kills at least 6 at shopping center in central Ukrainian city

Russian drones struck a shopping center in the city of Kryvyi Rih in central Ukraine on Friday, killing six people and wounding scores of others, authorities said. Six children were among the 91 injured in the afternoon strike in the city, which is the hometown of President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, said local administration head Oleksandr Vilkul. […]

8 minutes ago

Authorities investigate a crash between a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter and a small plane at...

Associated Press

Data cards retrieved from plane and helicopter that collided in deadly Pennsylvania airport crash

CARLISLE, Pa. (AP) — Federal investigators have pulled intact data cards from a state police helicopter and Cessna plane that collided at a small airport in central Pennsylvania, killing the plane’s pilot. Aaron McCarter, investigator-in-charge with the National Transportation Safety Board, called the recovery of the cards “very good news from a data standpoint,” during […]

25 minutes ago

Lindsay Clancy, looks toward reporters in the courtroom during proceedings in her murder trial, Thu...

Associated Press

Lindsey Clancy’s defense rests at trial over whether postpartum psychosis drove her to kill her kids

BOSTON (AP) — The defense rested its case Friday in the Lindsay Clancy murder trial after eliciting more testimony about her mental state before she strangled her three young children. Prosecutors then began calling rebuttal witnesses before attorneys make their closing arguments in the trial, which is likely entering its final days. Clancy, 36, has […]

27 minutes ago

Associated Press

Court slashes $50M judgment against Infowars’ Alex Jones over falsely calling school shooting a hoax

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas court slashes $50 million judgment to $1.5 million against Infowars founder Alex Jones over falsely calling 2012 school shooting a hoax.

1 hour ago

FILE - Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men...

Associated Press

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdraws from the US Open with a knee injury

NEW YORK (AP) — Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdrew from the U.S. Open on Friday, unable to recover from a right knee injury that has sidelined him since winning the Wimbledon title. Sinner beat Alexander Zverev last month for his second straight title at the All England Club, but then pulled out of the hard-court tournaments […]

2 hours ago

Judge postpones civil trial over deadly collapse of Baltimore’s Key Bridge after late settlements