NATIONAL NEWS

Judge seeks stronger Trump assurances on plans for DC golf course project

Jul 2, 2026, 5:10 PM

President Donald Trump, second right, tours the East Potomac Park golf course alongside a person ca...

President Donald Trump, second right, tours the East Potomac Park golf course alongside a person carrying blueprints, Sunday, June 28, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
Credit: AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein

(AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge on Thursday demanded firmer commitments from the Trump administration that it would not go ahead with plans to renovate a historic golf course in Washington, D.C., until the matter was resolved in court, pointing to comments by the president as an indication that the changes could be moving ahead.

U.S. District Judge Ana Reyes said recent statements by President Donald Trump on social media that major renovations would begin Sept. 1 on the East Potomac Golf Links raised her concerns. She also noted the course plans displayed when he visited the course Sunday made clear that the administration was further along than had been publicly acknowledged.

Reyes made no formal decision on the case Thursday, saying that after speaking to the attorney representing the government, they seemed to be operating within the legal framework for approval.

“I’m just not there yet,” she said in not taking action. “I’m not going to assume the agency is going to act in bad faith.”

Plaintiffs want the administration to halt its plans

Reyes gave the two sides two weeks to work on language that would give her and the plaintiffs assurances that they would not suddenly learn in the “middle of the night” that there were bulldozers at the course “chopping down cherry trees.”′

The judge’s comments came after a request for a hearing from the plaintiffs suing the administration to stop its plans. The court filing said this most recent request for legal intervention resulted from recent visits by Trump to several places around the capital that he has been renovating and altering.

Trump, an avid golfer, posted about the visit to the course on social media, “When completed, this Course will have the ability to host Major Golf Tournaments, including The U.S. Open, The Ryder Cup, The PGA Championship, and other top PGA Tour events.” It’s unclear when the course could host any major tournaments, as locations are chosen several years ahead of the events.

The visit included the presence of extensive plans by course designer Tom Fazio, who accompanied Trump. Reyes said it was hard to believe someone who makes “millions” designing golf courses would have designed a proposal and escorted Trump “out of the goodness of his heart.”

Michael Robertson, the Justice Department lawyer representing the government, said Fazio had not been hired or designated by the Interior Department to design the course and said the process would still be open to other plans. He called the plans that had been seen “conceptual.”

Robertson also told Reyes repeatedly that there was still a lengthy process to undergo that would include signoffs from various planning organizations, the National Capital Planning Commission and the U.S. Commission of Fine Arts. Reyes noted the Planning Commission is filled with Trump allies who have already approved a number of his pet projects, including the White House ballroom and the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.

Golf course lawsuit is latest challenge to Trump’s capital projects

The course renovation is only one of the controversies surrounding it. The course has also been used as a dumping ground for debris from the demolition of the East Wing of the White House, which Trump ordered torn down in preparation for the construction of a ballroom.

Reyes said she needed to see evidence from the plaintiffs that the debris poses a danger to people and the environment before she would consider any action there, such as order the debris’ removal.

The golf course lawsuit is the latest in a series of legal battles that have sought to challenge Trump’s extraordinary efforts to put his mark on public spaces in the nation’s capital.

Reyes made reference to those projects repeatedly when she emphasized that she wanted to avoid the administration’s habit of proceeding with work faster than the judicial system could stop it. “I don’t want a destroyed East Wing, a destroyed reflecting pool” before knowing the work was approved, she said.

The 106-year-old public course has been embroiled in the lawsuit since February. The complaint, against the Department of the Interior, says the Trump administration’s reconstruction of East Potomac Park — which includes the East Potomac Golf Course — would violate the congressional act that created the park in 1897.

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit, the DC Preservation League, sought an emergency stop in May because of similar concerns that work was expected to begin immediately on the course.

National News

In this photo courtesy of Katherine Delgado shows her step-father Luis Manuel Aviles, left, and her...

Associated Press

He was waiting for his son to return from the USS Lincoln. Then Border Patrol arrested him.

When Luis Manuel Aviles was arrested by immigration authorities, his son was entering his ninth month on the USS Abraham Lincoln with the Navy — a vessel that set a U.S. military record for uninterrupted time at sea, stirring concerns about supply shortages and deteriorating mental health among soldiers. Luis Manuel Aviles, 48, was arrested […]

3 hours ago

FILE - Jared Kushner waits to walk into the ring after the lightweight championship bout at UFC Fre...

Associated Press

Jared Kushner meets with Democratic leader Jeffries with House control at stake in November

WASHINGTON (AP) — House Democratic leader Hakeem Jeffries and President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and outside adviser Jared Kushner met privately recently in New York, a signal that the White House is seeking ways to work with Democrats if they wrest majority control from Republicans in the midterm elections. The meeting, first reported Sunday by The […]

4 hours ago

Associated Press

Tropical Storm Moke carrying more rain toward hurricane-damaged Hawaii

HONOLULU (AP) — Tropical Storm Moke was swirling past Hawaii on Sunday, close enough to dump heavy rain on Big Island communities in the aftermath of Hurricane Lala. The National Hurricane Center located Moke’s center about 310 miles (500 kilometers) south of Hilo Sunday morning. Its top sustained winds were around 45 mph (75 kph), […]

7 hours ago

Associated Press

Wildfire approaches Reno, Nevada, forcing thousands to evacuate their neighborhoods

RENO, Nevada (AP) — The fast-growing Hawk Fire spread from the Sierra foothills toward the center of Reno early Sunday, growing to more than 10,500 acres. Nearly 14,000 homes were ordered evacuated, and the “G0 NOW” zone reached the edge of the University of Nevada campus. Washoe County, Nevada emergency officials opened the Reno-Sparks Convention […]

10 hours ago

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg speaks to reporters after speaking at the South Caro...

Associated Press

Buttigieg returns to South Carolina to court the Black voters who stalled his first White House run

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) — The last time Pete Buttigieg was giving a political speech in South Carolina, it was to mark a distant finish in the state’s primary that effectively ended his campaign for president. Returning this weekend as he mulls a second run for the White House, Buttigieg set out to reintroduce himself to […]

11 hours ago

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands in action during sprint race at the Formula One D...

Associated Press

Dutch Grand Prix sees a potential path back to F1 amid Middle East uncertainty

The Dutch Grand Prix is bidding goodbye to Formula 1 on Sunday but its organizers say it could potentially “serve as an alternative venue” in the future amid continuing uncertainty over next year’s schedule. Already this year, the security situation in the Middle East following the outbreak of the Iran war has meant Bahrain’s race […]

14 hours ago

Judge seeks stronger Trump assurances on plans for DC golf course project