NATIONAL NEWS

Judge rejects Justice Department attempt to get names of 2020 election workers in Fulton County

Jul 7, 2026, 12:33 PM | Updated: 1:42 pm

Justice Department -fall city...

The U.S. Department of Justice logo is before a news conference, Monday, May 4, 2026, in Washington. (Photo: Julia Demaree Nikhinson, AP)

(Photo: Julia Demaree Nikhinson, AP)

The U.S. Department of Justice cannot have the names and personal contact information for every person who worked during the 2020 election in Georgia’s Fulton County, a federal judge ruled Tuesday.

The Justice Department in April obtained a grand jury subpoena seeking the names and personal contact information of county employees and volunteer poll workers. President Donald Trump has long claimed without evidence that widespread voter fraud in Georgia’s most populous county, a Democratic stronghold, cost him victory in the state in 2020.

Fulton County asked a judge to quash the subpoena, arguing it was meant to “target, harass and punish the President’s perceived political opponents” and that it was “grossly over broad and untethered to any reasonable need.”

“Given the low need for the subpoenaed information and the highly burdensome nature of the disclosure of the same, the Subpoena is unreasonable and must be quashed,” U.S. District Judge William Ray wrote in his ruling.

While grand juries often work with federal prosecutors to investigate alleged crimes, “that does not give the DOJ the right to use the Grand Jury to do whatever the DOJ wants,” he wrote.

Even if the records sought by the Justice Department could help find people who worked for the county during the 2020 election who support the theory that the election was unfair, the information couldn’t be used to charge anyone, Ray wrote.

“That is because the statute of limitations for any possible crime arising from the 2020 Election has long expired,” he wrote.

The subpoena came after the FBI in January served a search warrant at the Fulton County election hub and seized hundreds of boxes of ballots and other documents from the 2020 election. A federal judge in May denied the county’s request to force the federal government to return the ballots.

The Justice Department argued in a court filing that the subpoena was the “next step in the normal investigative process” and that it seeks “records identifying persons with relevant knowledge.”

Kamal Ghali, a lawyer for the county, argued that the subpoena “will chill participation by election workers” and that the statute of limitations for any of the alleged misconduct had already lapsed.

Justice Department lawyer William McComb said the statute of limitations issue is not relevant at the investigative stage. The point of the investigation is to figure out what charges can be brought, he said.

“My point is, as we sit here now, we are not sure what charges can be brought. That’s the whole point of the investigation,” he said.

The request for election workers’ contact information, McComb said, “would simply be a pathway to determine and speak with and interview certain individuals who worked at the polls who may have seen, heard or done something in and of themselves.”

During a hearing in May, the judge said he was going to focus on whether the federal government’s request for the election worker contact information was reasonable.

“You know, an overly broad fishing expedition is bad and is not allowed,” Ray said. “But one that’s not overly broad is kind of okay. And the question is, how do we — how does — how do I as a judge decide when does it go too far?”

National News

Associated Press

Wildfire approaches Reno, Nevada, forcing thousands to evacuate their neighborhoods

RENO, Nevada (AP) — The fast-growing Hawk Fire spread from the Sierra foothills toward the center of Reno early Sunday, growing to more than 10,500 acres. Nearly 14,000 homes were ordered evacuated, and the “G0 NOW” zone reached the edge of the University of Nevada campus. Washoe County, Nevada emergency officials opened the Reno-Sparks Convention […]

2 hours ago

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg speaks to reporters after speaking at the South Caro...

Associated Press

Buttigieg returns to South Carolina to court the Black voters who stalled his first White House run

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) — The last time Pete Buttigieg was giving a political speech in South Carolina, it was to mark a distant finish in the state’s primary that effectively ended his campaign for president. Returning this weekend as he mulls a second run for the White House, Buttigieg set out to reintroduce himself to […]

2 hours ago

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands in action during sprint race at the Formula One D...

Associated Press

Dutch Grand Prix sees a potential path back to F1 amid Middle East uncertainty

The Dutch Grand Prix is bidding goodbye to Formula 1 on Sunday but its organizers say it could potentially “serve as an alternative venue” in the future amid continuing uncertainty over next year’s schedule. Already this year, the security situation in the Middle East following the outbreak of the Iran war has meant Bahrain’s race […]

5 hours ago

A customer walks into Beaver's Mini Mart in Beavercreek, Ohio, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Jul...

Associated Press

Buc-ee’s chain draws outcry in Ohio for launching fight over a mini mart’s beaver logo

BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (AP) — A lip-licking alligator, a smiling moose and a hat-wearing bear are among the many cartoon animals to have found themselves in the crosshairs of Buc-ee’s, the popular Texas convenience store chain that has a penchant for protecting its buck-toothed beaver. But now Buc-ee’s has set off a Buckeye backlash across Ohio […]

9 hours ago

Associated Press

Union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorizes first strike in ensemble’s 145-year history

LENOX, Mass. (AP) — The union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorized the first strike in the ensemble’s 145-year history on Saturday. The Boston Musicians’ Association issued a statement ahead of the expiration of the union’s three-year contract at 11:59 p.m. Sunday. The orchestra and management have had strained relations since BSO decided in March […]

11 hours ago

Andrew Anthony III and Kala Hayes, parents of Karmelo Anthony, exit following closing arguments in ...

Associated Press

Texas judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s request for new trial in deadly stabbing at track meet

DALLAS (AP) — A Texas judge denied a new trial for Karmelo Anthony on Saturday in the stabbing death of a 17-year-old athlete at a high school track meet, a killing that drew national attention and led to harassment of the families. Anthony, 19, was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years […]

15 hours ago

Judge rejects Justice Department attempt to get names of 2020 election workers in Fulton County