NATIONAL NEWS

Nebraska to hand over sensitive voter data to the Justice Department after court loss

Feb 11, 2026, 2:34 PM

FILE - Nebraska Secretary of State Bob Evnen holds a news conference, in Lincoln, Neb., Nov. 4, 202...

FILE - Nebraska Secretary of State Bob Evnen holds a news conference, in Lincoln, Neb., Nov. 4, 2020. (AP Photo/Nati Harnik, File)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Nati Harnik, File)

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska’s Republican secretary of state will turn over sensitive information on every registered voter in the state to the U.S. Justice Department on Thursday after Nebraska’s highest court rejected a legal effort to block the move.

Secretary of State Bob Evnen told The Associated Press that the Nebraska Supreme Court denied the injunction Wednesday.

Last week, a state judge dismissed the lawsuit filed by government watchdog Common Cause, which sought to stop the release of voter information, including dates of birth, addresses and partial Social Security numbers, to the federal government.

“This case threatens the unprecedented and unlawful release of highly sensitive information of every Nebraska voter,” lawyers for Common Cause wrote in a brief seeking the injunction. “Once the data is released, that bell cannot be unrung.”

The legal fight in Nebraska comes in the wake of an FBI raid that saw it seize 2020 ballots and other election documents from Georgia’s Fulton County and President Donald Trump declaring he wants to “take over” elections from Democratic-run areas with the November midterms on the horizon.

The federal Justice Department began last year pushing states to turn over their voter data and other election information. The department has sued at least 23 states and the District of Columbia in its effort to obtain voter rolls.

Evnen said Wednesday that he’s giving voter information to the Justice Department so it can assess whether Nebraska is complying with federal voting laws. He noted that the Nebraska Attorney General’s office had advised that the federal request “was lawful and proper.”

His office will upload the information electronically to the Justice Department, he said, and will include a request that privacy laws be observed.

In a written statement released by his office, Evnen said he is dedicated to protecting voters’ personally identifiable information from misuse.

But when asked if he was positive that Nebraska voter information would be kept secure and not lead to legitimate voters being kicked off voter roles, Evnen responded, “The only thing I’m positive of is that the sun won’t catch in a tree when it sets tonight.”

Evnen said the state would not remove people from voter rolls based solely on Department of Justice recommendations. Instead, election officials would conduct their own investigation and would first contact anyone tagged for removal from the rolls.

Earlier this week, a federal judge rejected the department’s effort to obtain Michigan’s voter rolls.

The Justice Department has said it’s seeking the data as part of an effort to ensure election security, but Democratic officials say the demand violates state and federal privacy laws. Election officials have raised concerns that federal officials are trying to use the sensitive data for other purposes, such as searching for potential noncitizens on the rolls.

Elections in the United States are administered at the state and local level, where individual voter information is kept.

National News

Associated Press

Wildfire approaches Reno, Nevada, forcing thousands to evacuate their neighborhoods

RENO, Nevada (AP) — The fast-growing Hawk Fire spread from the Sierra foothills toward the center of Reno early Sunday, growing to more than 10,500 acres. Nearly 14,000 homes were ordered evacuated, and the “G0 NOW” zone reached the edge of the University of Nevada campus. Washoe County, Nevada emergency officials opened the Reno-Sparks Convention […]

2 hours ago

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg speaks to reporters after speaking at the South Caro...

Associated Press

Buttigieg returns to South Carolina to court the Black voters who stalled his first White House run

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) — The last time Pete Buttigieg was giving a political speech in South Carolina, it was to mark a distant finish in the state’s primary that effectively ended his campaign for president. Returning this weekend as he mulls a second run for the White House, Buttigieg set out to reintroduce himself to […]

2 hours ago

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands in action during sprint race at the Formula One D...

Associated Press

Dutch Grand Prix sees a potential path back to F1 amid Middle East uncertainty

The Dutch Grand Prix is bidding goodbye to Formula 1 on Sunday but its organizers say it could potentially “serve as an alternative venue” in the future amid continuing uncertainty over next year’s schedule. Already this year, the security situation in the Middle East following the outbreak of the Iran war has meant Bahrain’s race […]

6 hours ago

A customer walks into Beaver's Mini Mart in Beavercreek, Ohio, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Jul...

Associated Press

Buc-ee’s chain draws outcry in Ohio for launching fight over a mini mart’s beaver logo

BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (AP) — A lip-licking alligator, a smiling moose and a hat-wearing bear are among the many cartoon animals to have found themselves in the crosshairs of Buc-ee’s, the popular Texas convenience store chain that has a penchant for protecting its buck-toothed beaver. But now Buc-ee’s has set off a Buckeye backlash across Ohio […]

9 hours ago

Associated Press

Union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorizes first strike in ensemble’s 145-year history

LENOX, Mass. (AP) — The union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorized the first strike in the ensemble’s 145-year history on Saturday. The Boston Musicians’ Association issued a statement ahead of the expiration of the union’s three-year contract at 11:59 p.m. Sunday. The orchestra and management have had strained relations since BSO decided in March […]

11 hours ago

Andrew Anthony III and Kala Hayes, parents of Karmelo Anthony, exit following closing arguments in ...

Associated Press

Texas judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s request for new trial in deadly stabbing at track meet

DALLAS (AP) — A Texas judge denied a new trial for Karmelo Anthony on Saturday in the stabbing death of a 17-year-old athlete at a high school track meet, a killing that drew national attention and led to harassment of the families. Anthony, 19, was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years […]

16 hours ago

Nebraska to hand over sensitive voter data to the Justice Department after court loss