NATIONAL NEWS

Pentagon’s official Iran war death toll no longer lists 4 troops killed during renewed fighting

Jul 26, 2026, 12:13 PM

President Donald Trump and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and others, salute as a U.S. Army carr...

President Donald Trump and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and others, salute as a U.S. Army carry team moves a transfer case containing the remains of Sgt. Angel S. Rampersad, of Ozone Park, N.Y. Wednesday, July 22, 2026, at Dover Air Force Base, Del. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
Credit: AP Photo/Matt Rourke

(AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The four American troops killed during renewed fighting between the U.S. and Iran in recent weeks are no longer listed as part of the Iran war death toll in the Pentagon’s official casualty count but have been placed in a new, separate category.

It is raising questions about properly counting the impact to U.S. service members as the Trump administration has escalated strikes on Iran in a bid to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, while providing little indication of how it intends to wind down a conflict that is unpopular with many Americans.

The Defense Casualty Analysis System, which Pentagon officials have repeatedly pointed to as the definitive source on the numbers of dead and wounded from the conflict, removed the four fallen soldiers as well as dozens of wounded troops from its Iran war tally last week.

On Sunday, a new category called “Overseas Operations” emerged on the system’s website, listing the four Army deaths by name as well as 207 wounded. It was unclear if all of the wounded were injured in the Iran conflict.

U.S. Central Command, which oversees operations in the Middle East, referred questions to the Pentagon, which did not immediately respond.

Pentagon described earlier changes to the system as ‘data disruptions’

Pentagon press secretary Joel Valdez argued Thursday that the drop in casualty figures in the online system was not an effort to hide the growing human toll of the war but rather the result of “anomalies” and “temporary data disruptions” that were being resolved “imminently.”

As late as Tuesday, the website was reporting the war’s official toll as 18 killed and 482 wounded.

It appeared to reflect that four soldiers had been killed since fighting resumed despite the signing of an interim ceasefire deal last month — three on a base in Jordan that was struck July 17 by Iranian ballistic missiles and drones, and one in Iraq a day later during a controlled detonation of an Iranian drone.

Adding further confusion, when the Pentagon announced two of the deaths in Jordan, it said the troops were supporting the U.S. mission to counter the Islamic State group. The other two were announced in press releases simply as supporting overseas operations.

President Donald Trump has confirmed the total, writing in a Truth Social post on Tuesday that the “Iran Military Conflict” had claimed 18 lives.

By Wednesday, the Iran war figures in the Pentagon’s system fell back to 14 dead and 420 wounded. However, a U.S. official told The Associated Press at the time that the actual number of wounded personnel in the war had actually grown to well over 500 troops.

The Pentagon’s top spokesman, Sean Parnell, took to social media that day to assert that the reported drop was a “temporary data disruption.”

New category lists casualties following date of renewed fighting

The U.S. and Israel launched the war in Iran on Feb. 28, and 14 troops were killed in the initial waves of fighting. Washington and Tehran agreed to a ceasefire in April and then signed an interim deal to end the war in mid-June.

It was short-lived. Iran struck three merchant vessels in the Strait of Hormuz on July 7 that were transiting along a route near the coast of Oman overseen by the U.S. military. American forces launched strikes in response to the attacks on vessels in the key energy shipping corridor. Trump soon declared that the ceasefire was over.

The Pentagon system’s new “Overseas Operations” category says it tallies casualties starting July 7.

Since then, the U.S. and Iran have exchanged regular fire in a bid to control the crucial waterway, with the U.S. hitting Iranian targets nightly for nearly two weeks and Tehran responding with attacks on neighboring countries hosting American forces. There have been no strikes for two nights as mediators push for diplomacy.

Since the renewed hostilities began, the Pentagon has provided even less information about military strategy and casualties than it did during the first phase of the conflict. The Pentagon has not held a press briefing about the war since early May, and officials at U.S. Central Command have stopped providing casualty updates to reporters.

Pentagon officials such as Valdez and Parnell have insisted that the DCAS website is proof of the commitment to transparency about the number of dead and injured in the war.

National News

Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc, left, and United States Trade Representative Jamieson G...

Associated Press

Trump says US and Canada have a trade deal, but key terms remain unclear

WASHINGTON (AP) — Canada has dodged President Donald Trump’s threat of 50% tariffs — at least for now. Trump went on social media late Tuesday to say he was pausing for three days the taxes on $20 billion worth of Canadian imports less than two hours before they were set to go into effect. Speaking […]

20 minutes ago

Parents hold pictures of their deceased children during a protest against social media platforms ou...

Associated Press

Former Meta engineer says Instagram took a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ approach on kids under 13

OAKLAND, California (AP) — A former engineering director at Meta who has testified before Congress about child safety on Instagram told jurors Wednesday at a landmark trial that the company took a “don’t ask, don’t tell” approach on kids under 13 on its platforms. During his second day of testimony, Arturo Béjar said Meta consistently […]

44 minutes ago

Los Angeles District Attorney Nathan Hochman delivers remarks at a press conference on Wednesday, A...

Associated Press

Los Angeles DA reduces charges against LAPD officer who taped colleagues making racist remarks

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles district attorney has backed off felony charges against a police officer who secretly recorded his colleagues making racist remarks after facing criticism the response was too harsh and could deter whistleblowers from coming forward. Los Angeles Police Officer Daniel Flores was charged in July with 16 felonies after […]

53 minutes ago

FILE - This photo provided by NASA shows Kieran Wilson, LINK's principal investigator, and Hunter R...

Associated Press

Rescue mission is called off for NASA’s aging Swift space telescope

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — The mission to save NASA’s sinking Swift Observatory was called off Wednesday, dooming the telescope to a fiery reentry later this year. NASA and Katalyst Space Technologies announced the news more than a month after the startup’s Link spacecraft rocketed away to the telescope’s rescue. Katalyst said Link will not […]

1 hour ago

Associated Press

FTC proposal would require retailers to be transparent about personalized pricing

Companies that secretly vary prices based on how much they think individual customers will pay could face federal charges under a proposed policy released Wednesday by the Federal Trade Commission. “When consumers see a listed price, they expect it to be same price that everyone else sees, not the retailer’s estimate of how much they […]

2 hours ago

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent walks past reporters following an interview with Fox News outside ...

Associated Press

An alarmed bond market gets the Trump administration to act again

NEW YORK (AP) — Normally quiet, the bond market can occasionally send warning signals loud enough to hit stock markets worldwide and even grab the attention of U.S. presidents and other world leaders. After the bond market’s alarm bells rose in volume through the summer, the Trump administration announced on Wednesday a move that could […]

2 hours ago

Pentagon’s official Iran war death toll no longer lists 4 troops killed during renewed fighting