NATIONAL NEWS

The Latest: Trump will attend dignified transfer of 4 US service members killed in the Middle East

Jul 22, 2026, 6:04 AM | Updated: 8:16 am

Gold-colored Presidential seals are seen on a fireplace in the Oval Office as President Donald Trum...

Gold-colored Presidential seals are seen on a fireplace in the Oval Office as President Donald Trump meets with Lebanese President Joseph Aoun at the White House, Tuesday, July 21, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
Credit: AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein

(AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

The United States and Iran exchanged fire across the Middle East on Wednesday, overshadowing diplomatic efforts in Pakistan to salvage an interim ceasefire deal that has collapsed.

President Donald Trump plans to attend the dignified transfer of four more service members who were killed in action. Republicans are pushing a Pete Hegseth faced fiery questions and protests over his management of the U.S. war with Iran, which he estimated which he estimated has cost $37.5 billion so far. Democrats and Republicans alike questioned whether Hegseth has an exit strategy.

The Latest:

As the president touts Trump Accounts, some families are still waiting for their baby’s $1,000

Trump says Trump Accounts could hoist children out of poverty and give more Americans the chance to benefit from investments in the stock market. But some parents say they’re still waiting for the money to arrive.

Trump on Wednesday plans to speak at a Georgia high school to promote the investment accounts, which offer $1,000 in seed money to every child born during his second term. The accounts went live July 4, two days before Trump rang the opening bells for both the New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ from the Oval Office.

The tax-advantaged accounts, created last year through Trump’s signature One Big Beautiful Bill, can be opened for any child under the age of 18. The Treasury Department boasts 6.5 million sign-ups for Trump Accounts, with 1.5 million of those eligible for the $1,000 seed funding for babies born from 2025 through 2028.

▶ Read more

Iran’s demands over the Strait of Hormuz would set a dangerous precedent, Rubio warns Asian leaders

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio warned Asian leaders Wednesday that Iran’s demand to control and collect tolls in the Strait of Hormuz would threaten the world’s economy and set a precedent that could be repeated elsewhere in the world.

Rubio spoke at the start of an annual meeting in the Philippine capital, Manila, with counterparts from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations who have expressed alarm over the resurgent war in the Middle East that has battered their region. Despite Washington’s preoccupation with the war, Rubio said “we’re with ASEAN 100%.”

Washington’s top diplomat also renewed allegations that Iran has reneged on commitments under a failed peace deal. Rubio said Iran “has been reaching out to the United States, both directly and indirectly, to engage in talks about settling the differences,” but gave no indication that the U.S. was considering returning to peace talks with Iran.

▶ Read more

US and Iran attacks rage as officials question whether diplomacy can stop march toward war resuming

The United States and Iran exchanged fire across the Middle East on Wednesday, as officials in both nations called into question diplomatic efforts to stop the war as it threatens to again spin out of control.

The U.S. launched an 11th night of airstrikes on the Islamic Republic, hitting targets across the nation as air defense systems opened fire over the capital, Tehran. It wasn’t immediately clear what specific targets the Americans went after in these nighttime strikes.

Iran retaliated with missile and drone fire targeting Jordan’s port city of Aqaba, once again attacking just on the doorstep of Israel. The U.S. has been using Israel’s main Ben-Gurion International Airport to host its refueler aircraft and has put fighter jets at bases in the country, but Iran has been hesitant to strike for fear of bringing the Israeli military back into the conflict.

▶ Read more

Hegseth estimates Iran war has cost $37.5 billion as he defends funding request at fiery hearing

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth faced fiery questions and protests Tuesday over the U.S. war with Iran, which he estimated has cost $37.5 billion so far, as Republicans prepare a $95 billion package to fund the military, along with other White House priorities.

Hegseth provided the new estimate, up from earlier assessments, during a combative Senate Appropriations Committee hearing, which came days after the Pentagon announced that three more American service members have died in the conflict, bringing the death toll to 17, and that more than 100 have been injured since early July. Several times protesters interrupted his opening remarks.

Hegseth said the supplemental war funding is an “urgent, necessary” injection of money, and with President Donald Trump’s proposed $1.5 trillion defense budget a generational investment in the military.

“Without these funds, we face critical shortfalls,” Hegseth testified.

▶ Read more

Trump will attend the dignified transfer of 4 US service members killed in the Middle East

Trump on Wednesday plans to attend the dignified transfer of four U.S. service members killed in the Middle East.

Trump will be at Dover Air Force Base when the remains of the troops killed in action are returned to their families, the White House said. The ritual is one of the most somber duties of a commander-in-chief. It will be the third that Trump has attended since he launched the war in Iran in February.

Two U.S. Army soldiers killed in Iranian missile and drone attacks in Jordan will be returned during the dignified transfer, according to an administration official who was not authorized to discuss it publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The remains of a third service member who is believed to be the soldier missing after the Jordan attacks will also be returned, the official said, as well as the remains of a soldier killed in Iraq during a detonation of an Iranian drone.

▶ Read more

National News

Associated Press

Pennsylvania State Police helicopter and small plane collide and crash; no word on possible injuries

CARLISLE, Penn. (AP) — A Pennsylvania State Police helicopter and a small plane collided in midair and crashed Wednesday evening, officials reported. It was not immediately clear whether anyone was hurt. The crash involving the Bell 407 helicopter, which had two people on board, and the Cessna 150 happened about 110 miles (170 kilometers) northwest […]

19 minutes ago

Journalists wait after being stopped by security officers at Vandenberg Space Force Base in Califor...

Associated Press

Invited media and military members held at gunpoint at Space Force base in California

VANDENBERG SPACE FORCE BASE, Calif. (AP) — Five news reporters and two members of the military who were invited to an event at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California were briefly detained at gunpoint by security officers who thought they were gate crashers, according to local news reports. The incident happened Monday ahead of an […]

1 hour ago

Associated Press

2 college cyclists killed and 7 injured in Tennessee car crash

HAMPTON, Tenn. (AP) — Two members of a university cycling team were killed and seven others were injured Wednesday when a car collided with a group of riders in northeastern Tennessee, state officials said. Milligan University, a private Christian school with just over 1,200 students, said 11 of its cyclists were out together on a […]

2 hours ago

This photo provided by the Bell County Sheriff's Office shows the scene of an Army Apache helicopte...

Associated Press

Army resumes Apache helicopter training missions after Texas crash that killed 2

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) — The U.S. Army said Wednesday it will resume Apache helicopter training missions after a brief pause prompted by a crash in Texas last week killed two soldiers. The cause of the Aug. 12 crash near Fort Hood remains under investigation by the Combat Readiness Center in Fort Rucker, Alabama. Military […]

2 hours ago

FILE - Protesters against a Missouri congressional redistricting plan gather outside the Missouri C...

Associated Press

Missouri court allows new Trump-backed US House districts be used in November election

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A Missouri judge has allowed new U.S. House districts backed by President Donald Trump to be used in the November elections, rejecting a bid by to put the Republican-friendly districts to a statewide vote of the people. The ruling Wednesday by Cole County Circuit Judge Daniel Green is a victory […]

3 hours ago

Associated Press

Truckload of squid spills into the street in Rhode Island, creating a smelly mess in the summer heat

A tractor-trailer rollover sent a truckload of squid spilling into a Rhode Island roadway, leaving a stench as they sat in the road for hours in the summer heat. Local authorities have dubbed it the “Squidpocalypse of ’26.” It was a warm, sunny day in the coastal town of Narragansett when the spill happened Sunday, […]

4 hours ago

The Latest: Trump will attend dignified transfer of 4 US service members killed in the Middle East