NATIONAL NEWS

Trump administration says it will comply with court order to pause $1.8 billion compensation fund

Jun 1, 2026, 1:12 PM | Updated: 6:02 pm

FILE - Rioters loyal to President Donald Trump rally at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, Jan. 6, 202...

FILE - Rioters loyal to President Donald Trump rally at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, Jan. 6, 2021. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)
Credit: AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana

(AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, File)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration said Monday it will comply with a court ruling temporarily blocking a nearly $1.8 billion fund meant to compensate allies of President Donald Trump, effectively agreeing to pause the plan for at least two weeks after setbacks in the courts and a fierce backlash from Republicans who objected to potential payouts to participants in the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol.

The announcement from the Justice Department came in response to a Friday court ruling by a federal judge in Virginia who ordered plans for the fund halted pending additional arguments later this month. The department said in a statement that it “disagrees strongly” with the ruling but would abide by it.

The Trump administration had defended the $1.776 billion “Anti-Weaponization Fund,” established to resolve Trump’s lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the leak of his tax returns, as an appropriate corrective measure to make up for what officials insist was weaponized law enforcement during the Biden administration.

Though some Trump supporters, including participants in the Capitol riot, celebrated the announcement of the fund, the reaction among Republicans in Congress has been decidedly more hostile. Senators pressed acting Attorney General Todd Blanche over the fund at a closed-door gathering last month that Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas called one of “the roughest meetings I’ve seen in my entire time in the Senate.”

The fund’s future was called into question Friday by a pair of court rulings.

One judge in Virginia temporarily halted its formation and scheduled a June 12 hearing for arguments on whether to extend her order barring the government from moving forward with the fund while pending litigation challenges it.

“This Fund was open to anybody who was so weaponized, targeted, or persecuted, whether they were Democrat, Republican, Conservative, Independent, or otherwise,” the Justice Department said in a statement in which it asserted its disagreement with the ruling. “The Department will abide by the Court’s ruling.”

Separately, the federal judge in Florida overseeing Trump’s lawsuit against the IRS ordered Trump’s attorneys to respond to “grievous allegations” by settlement critics that the president abandoned his claims to avoid the court’s scrutiny of an illegal deal. U.S. District Judge Kathleen Williams gave them until June 12 to respond in writing to allegations of collusion and whether the case should be reopened because the court was the “victim of a fraud.”

National News

Andrew Anthony III and Kala Hayes, parents of Karmelo Anthony, exit following closing arguments in ...

Associated Press

Texas judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s request for new trial in deadly stabbing at track meet

DALLAS (AP) — A Texas judge denied a new trial for Karmelo Anthony on Saturday in the stabbing death of a 17-year-old athlete at a high school track meet, a killing that drew national attention and led to harassment of the families. Anthony, 19, was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years […]

52 minutes ago

A Canadian flag flies on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. (Patrick Doyle/The C...

Associated Press

What to know about Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canadian goods that just went into effect

CHICAGO (AP) — After trade negotiations crumbled at the eleventh hour, U.S. President Donald Trump’s 50% tariffs on scores of Canadian imports kicked in Saturday. The new levies are expected to affect about 5% of Canada’s annual exports to the U.S., roughly $20 billion in goods ranging from hockey sticks to agricultural products. Canada’s Prime […]

3 hours ago

A woman and child walk past a debris-strewn street in Naalehu, Hawaii, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026, after...

Associated Press

Tropical Storm Moke advances toward Hawaii as winds strengthen

HONOLULU (AP) — Tropical Storm Moke advanced toward Hawaii Saturday, likely bringing more heavy rainfall and strong gusts to the Big Island, where residents are still dealing with the aftermath of heavy flooding and damaging winds from Hurricane Lala. Moke, which formed Friday in the Pacific Ocean, was located about 470 miles (755 kilometers) southeast […]

6 hours ago

This screen grab made from video provided by WCVB-TV shows a police officer standing guard over a h...

Associated Press

Arrest warrant issued for Massachusetts woman sought in officer’s death

WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) — An arrest warrant has been issued for a mental health advocate who remained missing Saturday, more than four days after police found the Massachusetts officer she had been married to dead in their home. Karen Solomon, 58, was last spotted in a doorbell camera video, walking down a street in a […]

6 hours ago

FILE - Janie Bradford, left, and George Clinton attend a ceremony honoring Clinton with a star on t...

Associated Press

Early Motown songwriter Janie Bradford Hobbs dies in Los Angeles after illness at age 87

Early Motown songwriter Janie Bradford Hobbs, who helped pen hits including “Money (That’s What I Want)” and “Too Busy Thinking About My Baby,” has died following an extended illness at a Los Angeles hospital, her family said Saturday. She was 87. Bradford Hobbs was born in Charleston, Missouri, and later moved to Detroit. She was […]

6 hours ago

Rolled coils of steel sit in the yard at the ArcelorMittal Dofasco steel plant in Hamilton, Ont. on...

Associated Press

Trump’s trade war with Canada: A timeline of how we got here

CHICAGO (AP) — President Donald Trump’s barrage of tariffs — and threats of even more — has strained the United States’ longstanding relationship with Canada. Over the course of his second term in office, Trump has threatened Canada’s economy and sovereignty with steep new import taxes on its goods. He’s gone as far as suggesting […]

7 hours ago

Trump administration says it will comply with court order to pause $1.8 billion compensation fund