NATIONAL NEWS

Trump administration says it’s deferring $1B in Medicaid payments to California and Minnesota

Jul 21, 2026, 11:59 AM

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services administrator Dr. Mehmet Oz speaks before Vice President J...

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services administrator Dr. Mehmet Oz speaks before Vice President JD Vance at the Wisconsin Air National Guard facility at Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport, Wednesday, July 8, 2026, in Milwaukee. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, Pool)
Credit: Mark Schiefelbein/Pool AP via AP

(AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, Pool)

The Trump administration on Tuesday said it was deferring more than $1 billion in Medicaid payments to Minnesota and California because of “suspected fraud and noncompliance,” the latest in a series of punitive steps it has linked to allegations of fraud in mostly Democratic-led states.

Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said the new actions — which come after previously announced Medicaid funding deferrals in those states — are part of the administration’s strategy to “stop the fraud before it happens” rather than claw back problematic spending after bad actors are prosecuted, as previous administrations had done.

“We have a duty to stop the payments, demand answers and then follow the evidence wherever it leads,” Kennedy told a news conference.

The tactic is part of the administration’s sweeping campaign to show it’s cracking down on fraud and saving taxpayers money when rising healthcare costs and other economic stressors have made affordability a top voter in November’s midterm elections.

California’s Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom responded by accusing the Republican administration of targeting it for political reasons. Minnesota’s Democratic Gov. Tim Walz suggested the administration was deferring the funds to pay for Trump’s tax cuts to wealthy Americans.

In March, Vice President JD Vance launched a new anti-fraud task force at the request of President Donald Trump, bringing together officials from various departments to use data and technology to identify and investigate suspected wrongful use of federal dollars.

The Trump administration intensified anti-immigration efforts in Minnesota earlier this year, sending in a robust force of Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers whose actions there caused weeks of counterprotests and included the shooting deaths of two civilians. Trump himself has frequently denounced California as a badly governed state.

States are facing obstacles because of the actions

The strategy has led to some false starts and headaches for states.

In April, for example, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services acknowledged to The Associated Press it made a significant error in figures it used to help justify a fraud probe in New York. Last month, California’s Medicaid director told a congressional committee that CMS had not yet provided “any instances of fraud, waste or abuse” to the state in its justification of a $1.3 billion Medicaid funding deferral announced in May.

And in Minnesota, state officials have been executing a thorough corrective action plan to defray CMS concerns that have led the agency to defer some $260 million in federal money and to threaten future cuts.

Kennedy didn’t specify in Tuesday’s announcement whether the new deferrals — $867.5 million in federal Medicaid payments to California and $199 million to Minnesota — are in addition to, or overlap with, earlier deferrals announced this year.

CMS Administrator Dr. Mehmet Oz didn’t provide any concrete examples of fraud in the two states in justifying the deferrals. He did mention some patterns the agency noticed that it found questionable, including that some providers were billing for four or more patients at the same time, or billing after the date of a Medicaid beneficiary’s death.

Oz also highlighted a fast rate of growth in California’s home care program as a reason for concern. California officials have disputed that idea, explaining that the state’s home care program has grown because of an intentional strategy to keep people out of more expensive nursing homes.

Flow of money could be restored — with documentation

Kennedy and Oz said states could restart the flow of federal funding by providing documentation proving the payments in question were legitimate.

Representatives for California and Minnesota’s Medicaid programs didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. Officials in both states have previously acknowledged they are working with the federal government to provide the requested information. Oz said Minnesota had already returned documents to the federal government and they were being “reevaluated very carefully.”

Kennedy also suggested Tuesday that he would extend the power to exclude providers from Medicaid, Medicare and other federal health programs to CMS. In the past, that authority has rested solely with his department’s Office of the Inspector General.

“This is going to be a full force multiplier,” HHS Inspector General Thomas March Bell told a news conference. “It’s going to create additional momentum, and it’s going to exclude additional bad actors.”

National News

State Sen. Aisha Wahab, a Democratic candidate for Congress in California's 14th district, speaks d...

Associated Press

California lawmaker Aisha Wahab wins special election to succeed Eric Swalwell in Congress

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California lawmaker Aisha Wahab secured victory Thursday in a special election to serve the rest of former Rep. Eric Swalwell’s House term, which ends in January. Swalwell, a Democrat who was running for California governor, ended his campaign and resigned from Congress in April after he was accused of sexual assault […]

24 minutes ago

FILE - The Harvard Medical School is seen Aug. 18, 2022, in Boston. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File)C...

Associated Press

Harvard agrees to $53 million settlement over body parts stolen and sold by former morgue manager

BOSTON (AP) — Harvard Medical School says it agreed to pay $53 million to settle class action lawsuits by relatives of body donors whose remains were sold on the black market by its former morgue manager. Harvard Medical School Deans George Q. Daley and Bernard S. Chang announced the development in a letter to the […]

52 minutes ago

A person prays before receiving a free boxed lunch at City Life Center in Gary, Ind., Thursday, Aug...

Associated Press

‘Survival mode’: Indiana residents endure a ninth day without power

GARY, Ind. (AP) — Tens of thousands of residents in northwest Indiana were in survival mode Thursday as they endured a ninth day without power, throwing out spoiled food, lining up for hot meals and searching for places to charge their phones. In Gary, Indiana, schools remained closed after the deadly Aug. 11 storm downed […]

57 minutes ago

FILE - Gen. Christopher LaNeve, vice chief of staff of the Army, testifies at the Capitol in Washin...

Associated Press

Army will shut down a unit in Europe focused on learning drone warfare

WASHINGTON (AP) — An Army unit based in Europe that was specializing in drone warfare has been directed to end its efforts to learn and use the battlefield technology and return to being a traditional infantry battalion, officials said Thursday. For more nearly a year, soldiers of the 173rd Airborne Brigade have been experimenting and […]

2 hours ago

FILE - A microbiologist points out an isolated E. coli growth on an agar plate at the Washington St...

Associated Press

Alfalfa sprouts linked to food poisoning illnesses in Minnesota and Wisconsin

NEW YORK (AP) — Minnesota health officials are warning consumers not to eat certain brands of alfalfa sprouts that have been tied to an unusual outbreak involving different disease-causing bacteria. Officials say 23 people in Minnesota have become ill with either E. coli or salmonella infections, with two of them hospitalized. Three had salmonella, and […]

2 hours ago

President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with technology leaders in the Roosevelt Room of the...

Associated Press

Investigators examining foes of Trump seek interviews related to Mar-a-Lago search, AP sources say

WASHINGTON (AP) — Justice Department investigators have sought to interview law enforcement officials related to the FBI search of Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate as part of a Florida-based inquiry aiming to establish a conspiracy against the Republican president, multiple people familiar with the matter said Thursday. The requests for interviews, made in recent weeks, suggest […]

2 hours ago

Trump administration says it’s deferring $1B in Medicaid payments to California and Minnesota