NATIONAL NEWS

US and Cuban officials met recently in Havana amid new diplomatic push

Apr 17, 2026, 6:41 PM

People attend a celebration marking the 65th anniversary of the proclamation declaring the Cuban Re...

People attend a celebration marking the 65th anniversary of the proclamation declaring the Cuban Revolution socialist, in Havana, Cuba, Thursday, April 16, 2026. (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)

WASHINGTON (AP) — An American delegation recently met with Cuban government officials in the island nation, marking a renewed diplomatic push even as U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to intervene and Cuba’s leader said this week that his country is prepared to fight if that should happen.

A senior State Department official met with the grandson of retired Cuban leader Raúl Castro last week during the trip, according to a department official, who was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke Friday on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive matter.

The official did not say who from the U.S. met with Raúl Guillermo Rodríguez Castro, whose grandfather is believed to play an influential role in the Cuban government despite not holding an official post. A second U.S. official said Secretary of State Marco Rubio was not part of the delegation that visited Havana.

U.S. officials have previously said Rubio, the son of Cuban immigrants and a longtime Cuba hawk, met the younger Castro in the Caribbean island nation of St. Kitts and Nevis in February.

During last week’s extraordinary diplomatic push, which was reported earlier by Axios, the U.S. delegation urged Cuba to make major changes to its economy and way of governing because it would not let the island nation become a national security threat in the region, the State Department official said.

It marked the first U.S. government flight to land in Cuba other than at the U.S. Naval Base at Guantanamo Bay since 2016.

Cuba’s crises have deepened following a U.S. energy blockade, coming as the Trump administration has described its government as ineffective and abusive. In return for easing sanctions, U.S. demands have included an end to political repression, a release of political prisoners and a liberalization of the island’s ailing economy.

Along with those similar topics, the sides last week also discussed a U.S. proposal to provide free and reliable internet to the island through a Starlink satellite connection, the State Department official said.

The talks were revealed after Trump said earlier this week that his administration could focus on Cuba after the war in Iran ends.

“We may stop by Cuba after we finish with this,” he said. He described it as a “failing nation” and asserted that it has “been a terribly run country for a long time.”

In response, Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel said the U.S. has no valid reason to carry out a military attack against the island or attempt to depose him but that the country was ready to fight back if needed.

“The moment is extremely challenging and calls upon us once again, as on April 16, 1961, to be ready to confront serious threats, including military aggression. We do not want it, but it is our duty to prepare to avoid it and, if it becomes inevitable, to defeat it,” Díaz-Canel said.

He was speaking during a rally that drew hundreds of people to commemorate the 65th anniversary of the declaration of the Cuban Revolution’s socialist essence.

The Cuban Foreign Ministry didn’t immediately respond to messages seeking comment about the talks last week.

National News

Members of the Arkansas National Guard continue their patrol after carrying an elderly woman in her...

Associated Press

Trump threatens lawsuit against nonprofit that questioned whether National Guard plan lessened crime

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is threatening to sue a left-leaning think tank unless it retracts a report that said his National Guard deployments to various cities did not reduce crime as he said. The letter gave the Washington, D.C.-based Center for American Progress until the end of business Friday to issue the retraction […]

2 hours ago

Giant Marlin...

Patrick Whittle, The Associated Press

Charter boat hauls in 1,260-pound blue marlin believed to be East Coast’s largest catch

Damon Sacco had never seen anything like the fish he and fellow anglers fought for hours in the waters off Massachusetts.

2 hours ago

FILE - The UN flag flies on a stormy day at the United Nations during the United Nations General As...

Associated Press

US plans to pay $850 million of the $5 billion it owes the United Nations

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. government has notified Congress of its plans to pay $850 million of the several billion it owes to the United Nations, the largest payment the Trump administration would make to the world body since it demanded sweeping reforms in exchange for continued support as its largest donor. The State Department […]

2 hours ago

FILE - Castle Peak is shown in an aerial view on Feb. 20, 2026, near Soda Springs, Calif. (AP Photo...

Associated Press

Backcountry guide company faces $150K in fines after California’s deadliest modern avalanche

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California workplace safety officials have fined a guide company that was leading backcountry skiers down a mountain in February when an avalanche was triggered, killing nine members of the group in the deadliest avalanche in the state’s modern history. The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health, or Cal/OSHA, issued $151,300 […]

3 hours ago

Work continues on the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP ...

Associated Press

National park maintenance work sidelined as Trump’s Freedom 250 takes precedence

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — The 250th anniversary of U.S. independence was just months away when National Park Service employees received a surprising directive from Washington: Maintenance projects approved for this year at sites across the nation were being relegated to a new “low priority” list. Work wanted by the White House was taking precedence, including […]

3 hours ago

FILE - Ed Martin speaks at an event at the Capitol in Washington, June 13, 2023. (AP Photo/Amanda A...

Associated Press

Trump loyalist Ed Martin is leaving the Justice Department to focus on election ‘legal battles’

WASHINGTON (AP) — Ed Martin, a loyal White House ally who held multiple Justice Department posts despite unconventional tactics that sometimes rankled his superiors, is leaving President Donald Trump’s administration, the Republican president said Friday. Trump said in a social media post that Martin is leaving his role as the Justice Department’s pardon attorney to […]

3 hours ago

US and Cuban officials met recently in Havana amid new diplomatic push