NATIONAL NEWS

US Education Department says Denver school district’s all-gender bathrooms violated Title IX

Aug 28, 2025, 2:17 PM | Updated: 5:20 pm

FILE — Denver East High School in Denver on April 17, 2019. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)Cred...

FILE — Denver East High School in Denver on April 17, 2019. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)

DENVER (AP) —

The U.S. Education Department said Thursday that Denver Public Schools violated Title IX protections against sex-based discrimination in education by creating all-gender bathrooms and allowing students to use bathrooms corresponding with their gender identity.

The finding followed an unprecedented probe of Denver’s East High School, marking a sharp departure from the department’s investigations under former President Joe Biden.

The investigation began after the school district converted a girl’s restroom into an all-gender restroom while leaving another bathroom on the same floor exclusive to boys in January. The school district has said that was done as a result of a student-led process and the bathroom had 12-foot (3.6-meter) tall partitions for privacy and security.

The school district later added a second all-gender restroom on the same floor which it said was meant to address concerns of unfairness. At the time it said that students would also continue to have access to gender-specific restrooms and single-stall, all-gender bathrooms.

The Education Department said it has offered the school district a chance to agree to voluntarily make changes, including converting multi-stall, all-gender bathrooms back to ones designated by gender, within 10 days or risk unspecified enforcement action. Among other changes, it also wants the district to use biology-based definitions for the words “male” and “female” in all policies and practices related to Title IX and to rescind any policies or guidance allowing students to use bathrooms based on their gender identity rather than their biological sex.

“Denver is free to endorse a self-defeating gender ideology, but it is not free to accept federal taxpayer funds and harm its students in violation of Title IX,” Craig Trainor, the acting assistant secretary of the department’s Office for Civil Rights, said in a news release.

Denver Public Schools said it recently received the findings of the investigation and is “determining our next steps.”

The department’s finding comes amid a push by President Trump’s Republican administration against policies that make allowances for transgender students, particularly athletes. Federal officials in June determined that California’s Department of Education violated civil rights law by allowing transgender girls to compete on girls sports teams.

Officials under Trump also have sued Maine over the participation of transgender athletes in girl’s sports and last month launched an investigation into Oregon’s Department of Education, following a complaint from a conservative group about transgender girls on girls sports teams.

Trump signed an executive order in February to block trans girls from participating on sports teams consistent with their gender identity. Supporters said the move restored fairness in athletic competitions, but opponents called it an attack on transgender youth.

_____

Brown reported from Billings, Montana.

National News

Associated Press

Tropical Storm Moke carrying more rain toward hurricane-damaged Hawaii

HONOLULU (AP) — Tropical Storm Moke was swirling past Hawaii on Sunday, close enough to dump heavy rain on Big Island communities in the aftermath of Hurricane Lala. The National Hurricane Center located Moke’s center about 310 miles (500 kilometers) south of Hilo Sunday morning. Its top sustained winds were around 45 mph (75 kph), […]

12 minutes ago

Associated Press

Wildfire approaches Reno, Nevada, forcing thousands to evacuate their neighborhoods

RENO, Nevada (AP) — The fast-growing Hawk Fire spread from the Sierra foothills toward the center of Reno early Sunday, growing to more than 10,500 acres. Nearly 14,000 homes were ordered evacuated, and the “G0 NOW” zone reached the edge of the University of Nevada campus. Washoe County, Nevada emergency officials opened the Reno-Sparks Convention […]

4 hours ago

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg speaks to reporters after speaking at the South Caro...

Associated Press

Buttigieg returns to South Carolina to court the Black voters who stalled his first White House run

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) — The last time Pete Buttigieg was giving a political speech in South Carolina, it was to mark a distant finish in the state’s primary that effectively ended his campaign for president. Returning this weekend as he mulls a second run for the White House, Buttigieg set out to reintroduce himself to […]

4 hours ago

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands in action during sprint race at the Formula One D...

Associated Press

Dutch Grand Prix sees a potential path back to F1 amid Middle East uncertainty

The Dutch Grand Prix is bidding goodbye to Formula 1 on Sunday but its organizers say it could potentially “serve as an alternative venue” in the future amid continuing uncertainty over next year’s schedule. Already this year, the security situation in the Middle East following the outbreak of the Iran war has meant Bahrain’s race […]

7 hours ago

A customer walks into Beaver's Mini Mart in Beavercreek, Ohio, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Jul...

Associated Press

Buc-ee’s chain draws outcry in Ohio for launching fight over a mini mart’s beaver logo

BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (AP) — A lip-licking alligator, a smiling moose and a hat-wearing bear are among the many cartoon animals to have found themselves in the crosshairs of Buc-ee’s, the popular Texas convenience store chain that has a penchant for protecting its buck-toothed beaver. But now Buc-ee’s has set off a Buckeye backlash across Ohio […]

11 hours ago

Associated Press

Union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorizes first strike in ensemble’s 145-year history

LENOX, Mass. (AP) — The union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorized the first strike in the ensemble’s 145-year history on Saturday. The Boston Musicians’ Association issued a statement ahead of the expiration of the union’s three-year contract at 11:59 p.m. Sunday. The orchestra and management have had strained relations since BSO decided in March […]

13 hours ago

US Education Department says Denver school district’s all-gender bathrooms violated Title IX