SEATTLE NEWS ARCHIVES & FEATURES

Father of 16-year-old killed at CHOP sues Seattle: ‘There needs to be accountability’

Jul 22, 2022, 11:17 AM

chop...

City crews dismantle the Capitol Hill Organized Protest (CHOP) area outside of the Seattle Police Department's vacated East Precinct (Getty Images)

(Getty Images)

The city of Seattle was notified earlier this week the family of a 16-year-old — shot and killed during the CHOP protest in June 2020 — is opening up a lawsuit.

Antonio Mays Jr. died after being shot in the Capitol Hill Organized Protest (CHOP).

“This is just another lawsuit in a series and another reminder of what a colossal screw-up CHOP was for the city,” Mark Lindquist, former district attorney and attorney of record in a previous CHOP lawsuit, told The Dori Monson Show on Thursday.

“It’s kind of staggering that not even one person, at least that we know of yet, stood up and said, ‘We have to put an end to this. We can’t allow this no-cop zone, violence is foreseeable.’”

Evan Oshan, attorney for Antonio Mays Sr., Mays Jr.’s father, is claiming the city neglected to give emergency services to protesters in CHOP.

“He was here to participate in something bigger than him. Something that was going to change things to make the world a better place. And he was greeted by this insane situation up on Capitol Hill,” Oshan said.

Mays’ father said his son called it “the summer of love.”

The city remains legally vulnerable, Lindquist said, on two points — creating a dangerous situation and negligence in delivering medical services.

“There needs to be accountability for what the city allowed here. People were injured, people even died,” Lindquist expressed.

More lawsuits have emerged against the city of Seattle, including from business owners and families of people who were injured during CHOP.

Listen to the Dori Monson Show weekday afternoons from noon – 3 p.m. on KIRO Newsradio, 97.3 FM. Subscribe to the podcast here.

The Eisenhower Executive Office Building is seen as President Donald Trump speaks during an event t...

Associated Press

Judge rules paint tests on Eisenhower Building can proceed, advancing Trump’s makeover plans for now

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal district judge said Tuesday that paint tests on a 19th-century historic landmark building next to the White House can go ahead, advancing President Donald Trump’s plans to add a new coat of white paint to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, for now. Trump has suggested the massive building be painted […]

2 minutes ago

costco scan health plan medicare advantage...

MyNorthwest Staff

Costco enters Medicare Advantage market with first-ever health plan partnership

Costco is teaming up with SCAN Health Plan to offer Medicare Advantage coverage, giving members access to SCAN's benefits.

4 minutes ago

This combo shows U.S. Sen. Dan Sullivan, left, in Palmer, Alaska, on Aug. 17, 2026 and a candidate ...

Associated Press

The Latest: Alaska, Florida and Wyoming hold primaries as California voters pick Swalwell successor

Voters in Alabama, Florida and Wyoming are deciding Tuesday which candidates to advance to the general election in key races for governor, U.S. Senate and U.S. House, as California holds a special election to decide who will serve out the rest of U.S. Rep. Eric Swalwell’s term. Swalwell resigned from Congress amid sexual assault allegations […]

21 minutes ago

FILE - People take photos near a John Harvard statue, left, on the Harvard University campus, Jan. ...

Associated Press

Pentagon orders audit of 30 universities’ partnerships with foreign institutions

The Department of Defense has ordered 30 U.S. universities to audit their partnerships with mostly Chinese universities and military training institutions as the Trump administration scrutinizes the country’s growing global influence. If the schools don’t complete a review and terminate any arrangements deemed problematic within the next two weeks, they face losing funding. The goal […]

46 minutes ago

People spend time at a beach as commercial vessels are anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar ...

Associated Press

Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he’s unhappy with country’s deal with Iran, officials say

CAIRO (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he is unhappy the country is close to a deal with Iran to manage ship traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, two regional officials said Tuesday, a day after Trump leveled the threat. The officials said the Trump administration has told Oman it […]

1 hour ago

ordinary abundance...

Charlie Harger

Harger: Ordinary abundance and how the most astonishing thing about your life is no longer being astonished by it

A website called Ordinary Abundance blew up on my feed this weekend. It walks you through an ordinary modern apartment, and every ordinary object opens a quote from someone in history for whom that object was unimaginable.

1 hour ago

Father of 16-year-old killed at CHOP sues Seattle: ‘There needs to be accountability’