SEATTLE NEWS ARCHIVES & FEATURES

Hawks Nest Bar and Grill hit hard by COVID shutdown, robbery

Sep 10, 2020, 12:25 PM

Hawks Nest...

Fans wave the 12th Man flag to celebrate Seattle Seahawks victory in Super Bowl XLVII during a parade on February 5, 2014 in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images)

(Photo by Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images)

One of the owners of the Hawks Nest Bar and Grill in downtown Seattle near CenturyLink Field spoke to the Dori Monson Show in May, and expressed that the family-owned business would not probably not be able to open during Phase 2 because of the reopening restrictions. Plus, being so close to the stadiums means much of their business is dependent on sporting events, which are currently being played in empty stadiums.

Joe Piano, one of the other owners of Hawks Nest, had some more bad news to share this week.

“We had the Hawks Nest boarded up just because of the activity down there and just the transience and everything … it’s a dead zone down there. So we opened it up like last month to try and do some third-party online delivery services and stuff like that, but that really didn’t pan out,” Piano explained. “So we left. We didn’t board back up. And so last Wednesday, I went in and somebody jimmied open the door, broke in, took some merchandise, trashed the office, took some expensive point-of-sale computers and a bunch of liquor.”

Also stolen were a few signed Mariners jerseys and a lot of memorabilia from giveaways at games and other collectibles.

“Everything was just ransacked and trashed and, you know, bobbleheads taken, and anything they could get a hold of,” Piano said.

In addition, the family had recently canceled their insurance since they were unable to afford the rate while the shutdown continued.

“The insurance was around $1,500 a month, … and then when I contacted my agent, I was like, is there anything you could do? He said, no, … there’s really nothing you can do,” Piano added.

Between an insurance bill, internet, rent, and all the other necessary payments, Piano says it was “becoming insurmountable.”

The Hawks Nest has been open for nearly 14 years, Piano says, but he’s not giving up on the business.

“It’s disappointing because the SoDo area is kind of like the crown jewel of Seattle. You’ve got those two beautiful stadiums and all around it is just kind of falling apart,” Piano said. “I think the crime in conjunction with just the outrageous amount of taxes and fees that are just slammed on small businesses, especially restaurants, is to the point where it’s almost becoming … unsustainable.”

He’s worried about the rising costs of rent, taxes, wages, and unemployment rates, but said the family will kick in some of their own cash to keep the Hawks Nest open if they have to.

“I’ve got some good family and friends, and I was in the tech industry, so I’m getting back in there. My daughter, … she was a full-time owner as well, she’s in the mortgage business now, so she’s got a pretty good full time job. So we’re going to do our best to keep it open,” Piano said.

The family isn’t really looking, at this point, to turn a huge profit. They just want to remain part of the community.

“It’s just been such a valuable area for the community, I think, especially for the sporting events,” he said. “Like if you look on the GoFundMe page, that picture there was the morning of the Super Bowl that we won, and those guys were lined up … that was probably 6:30 or 7 in the morning. So it’s something I don’t want to give up. And we’re going to work really hard not to.”

Listen to the Dori Monson Show weekday afternoons from noon – 3 p.m. on KIRO Radio, 97.3 FM. Subscribe to the podcast here.

Associated Press

Union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorizes first strike in ensemble’s 145-year history

LENOX, Mass. (AP) — The union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorized the first strike in the ensemble’s 145-year history on Saturday. The Boston Musicians’ Association issued a statement ahead of the expiration of the union’s three-year contract at 11:59 p.m. Sunday. The orchestra and management have had strained relations since BSO decided in March […]

33 minutes ago

Andrew Anthony III and Kala Hayes, parents of Karmelo Anthony, exit following closing arguments in ...

Associated Press

Texas judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s request for new trial in deadly stabbing at track meet

DALLAS (AP) — A Texas judge denied a new trial for Karmelo Anthony on Saturday in the stabbing death of a 17-year-old athlete at a high school track meet, a killing that drew national attention and led to harassment of the families. Anthony, 19, was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years […]

5 hours ago

A Canadian flag flies on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. (Patrick Doyle/The C...

Associated Press

What to know about Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canadian goods that just went into effect

CHICAGO (AP) — After trade negotiations crumbled at the eleventh hour, U.S. President Donald Trump’s 50% tariffs on scores of Canadian imports kicked in Saturday. The new levies are expected to affect about 5% of Canada’s annual exports to the U.S., roughly $20 billion in goods ranging from hockey sticks to agricultural products. Canada’s Prime […]

7 hours ago

A cow stands in a milking stall at a dairy farm in Hermosillo, Mexico, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP P...

Associated Press

Mexico’s ranchers look north to the US as screwworm ban nears end, in photos

HERMOSILLO, Mexico (AP) — The U.S.-Mexico border is preparing to reopen to cattle exports, with ranchers in northern Mexico cautiously looking north. After a yearlong ban over concerns about the New World screwworm, they hope to once again be able to send their cattle to the U.S.

8 hours ago

Central Pierce Fire & Rescue crews patrolling the Little Giant Fire at night, looking for hot spots...

Tom Brock

From the front lines to home: Pierce County firefighters wrap up two-week battle

Local firefighters battling what may be the largest wildfire in Chelan County history have now returned to the Puget Sound region.

10 hours ago

A woman and child walk past a debris-strewn street in Naalehu, Hawaii, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026, after...

Associated Press

Tropical Storm Moke advances toward Hawaii as winds strengthen

HONOLULU (AP) — Tropical Storm Moke advanced toward Hawaii Saturday, likely bringing more heavy rainfall and strong gusts to the Big Island, where residents are still dealing with the aftermath of heavy flooding and damaging winds from Hurricane Lala. Moke, which formed Friday in the Pacific Ocean, was located about 470 miles (755 kilometers) southeast […]

10 hours ago

Hawks Nest Bar and Grill hit hard by COVID shutdown, robbery