WORLD

Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack

Aug 7, 2024, 1:44 PM

Image: Taylor Swift performs at Wembley Stadium in London as part of her Eras Tour on Friday, June ...

Taylor Swift performs at Wembley Stadium in London as part of her Eras Tour on Friday, June 21, 2024. (File photo: Scott A Garfitt, Invision/AP)

(File photo: Scott A Garfitt, Invision/AP)

VIENNA (AP) — Organizers of three Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna this week called them off on Wednesday after officials announced arrests over an apparent plot to launch an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the concerts.

Swift was scheduled to play at the Austrian capital’s Ernst Happel Stadium on Thursday, Friday and Saturday as part of her Eras Tour.

Event organizer Barracuda Music said in a post on its Instagram channel late Wednesday that “we have no choice but to cancel the three scheduled shows for everyone’s safety.” It cited government officials’ “confirmation” of a planned attack at the stadium.

Earlier Wednesday, authorities said they had arrested two suspected extremists, one of whom appeared to be planning an attack on an event in the Vienna area such as the upcoming concerts.

The 19-year-old main suspect was arrested in Ternitz, south of Vienna, and the second person in the Austrian capital.

More about Taylor Swift: Superstar singer gives $100K to family of woman killed in Chiefs parade shooting

Franz Ruf, the public security director at Austria’s interior ministry, said that authorities were aware of “preparatory actions” for a possible attack “and also that there is a focus by the 19-year-old perpetrator on the Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna,” the Austria Press Agency reported.

Ruf said the 19-year-old had pledged an oath of allegiance to the Islamic State group.

The Austrian citizen is believed to have become radicalized on the internet. Ruf said that chemical substances were secured and were being evaluated. He didn’t give more details.

The cancelation came hours after authorities said security measures for the Swift concerts would be stepped up. Ruf said that there would be a special focus among other things on entry checks and concertgoers should plan a bit more time.

Vienna police chief Gerhard Pürstl said at the same time that, while any concrete danger had been minimized, an abstract risk justified raising security.

Barracuda Music said that “all tickets will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days.”

World

Associated Press

Liberia agrees to take 1,200 deportees from the US

MONROVIA, Liberia (AP) — Liberia has agreed to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the United States, authorities in the West African country said Tuesday, in one of the largest such arrangements under the Trump administration’s policy aimed at deterring illegal migration. The deportees will be received within a year, with the first batch […]

2 hours ago

FILE - A youth plays near the machine where the sugar cane is weighed in the Lima batey, or neighbo...

Associated Press

Watchdog calls for US import ban as forced labor persists in Dominican sugarcane fields

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A report released Tuesday by a human rights group found that forced labor persists on massive sugarcane plantations across the Dominican Republic, which exports sugar and other products to the U.S. — its largest market. The nonprofit Corporate Accountability Lab said it spent more than three years investigating the […]

3 hours ago

People spend time at a beach as commercial vessels are anchored in the Strait of Hormuz off Bandar ...

Associated Press

Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he’s unhappy with country’s deal with Iran, officials say

CAIRO (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to bomb Oman because he is unhappy the country is close to a deal with Iran to manage ship traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, two regional officials said Tuesday, a day after Trump leveled the threat. The officials said the Trump administration has told Oman it […]

7 hours ago

The U.S. Army's soldiers conduct a training exercise on a river in Yeoncheon, South Korea, near the...

Associated Press

Drills cut by Trump are central to the US-South Korea alliance

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — For decades, the United States and South Korea have regularly staged military drills to prepare their soldiers to work together smoothly in the event of a crisis or conflict with North Korea. But this year’s Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, one of the two main drills conducted by the allies annually, […]

7 hours ago

Defense attorney Volker Klein makes a statement at the regional court in Koblenz, Germany, Tuesday,...

Associated Press

An 81-year-old admits to 1994 killing of American tourist as trial opens in Germany

BERLIN (AP) — An 81-year-old man admitted to sexually assaulting and killing an American tourist in Germany more than 30 years ago at the opening of his trial on Tuesday, German news agency dpa reported. The defendant, whose name was not given in line with German privacy rules, admitted to killing 24-year-old Amy Lopez in […]

9 hours ago

South Korean President Lee Jae-myung, second from right, speaks during a cabinet meeting at the pre...

Associated Press

South Korea president stresses US alliance as many baffled by Trump order to cut exercises

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea’s president said Tuesday a solid alliance with the U.S. strengthens the foundation of national security, as many South Koreans were baffled and concerned about U.S. President Donald Trump’s abrupt order to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises. Trump made the surprise announcement in a social media post just before […]

15 hours ago

Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack