POLITICS

UN experts report widespread peace deal violations in eastern Congo

Jul 2, 2026, 10:02 AM

FILE - M23 rebels escort government soldiers and police who surrendered to an undisclosed location ...

FILE - M23 rebels escort government soldiers and police who surrendered to an undisclosed location in Goma, Democratic republic of the Congo, Jan. 30, 2025. (AP Photo/Moses Sawasawa, File)
Credit: AP Photo/Moses Sawasawa

(AP Photo/Moses Sawasawa, File)

DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — All parties in eastern Congo’s worsening conflict are violating peace terms and committing abuses, U.N. experts said in a report seen by The Associated Press Thursday.

The Congolese army and the M23 rebel group, along with its Rwandan backers, have failed to implement a December peace agreement initiated by the Trump administration that aimed to end the decades-long conflict, the experts said.

They said that the Congolese army continued to cooperate with a Hutu rebel group, known by its acronym FDLR, which includes fighters who participated in the 1994 genocide in Rwanda and escaped to Congo. The government in Kinshasa had promised to cease cooperation as part of the December agreement.

Rwanda has repeatedly sent troops and backed armed groups in eastern Congo, saying it was acting to neutralize Hutu fighters and protect its security. Congo and the U.S. government have accused Rwanda of using the rebels as a pretext to gain access to the region’s mineral wealth.

The report said that the Rwandan-backed M23 group, which seized Goma and other eastern cities in a lightning offensive early last year, had not withdrawn as promised but instead has tactically positioned and still maintains its goals to topple the government in Kinshasa.

It said M23 now controls significant swaths of territory in eastern Congo and is the leading perpetrator of conflict-related sexual violence.

Rwanda exercises significant control over M23, and in late 2025, Rwandan troops in Congo were “conservatively estimated at 8,000 to 10,000 elements in South Kivu and 6,000 to 8,000 in North Kivu, with no evidence of significant withdrawals thereafter,” in violation of the peace agreement, according to the panel of experts.

The U.N. has called the conflict in eastern Congo “one of the most protracted, complex, serious humanitarian crises on Earth.”

Last week, Congo said it filed a case against Rwanda at the International Court of Justice, accusing its neighbor of bearing legal responsibility for the violence that has devastated eastern Congo.

The U.N. experts said that minerals from Rubaya and other mining sites in the Masisi region of eastern Congo continued to be smuggled to Rwanda by M23, which is building a parallel economy in areas it controls. This new economy is dominated by Rwandan-linked companies exporting minerals mined in Congo, it said.

The U.S. last week imposed sanctions on a Rwanda -based gold refinery, describing it as being part of “a network working in coordination” with M23 in eastern Congo. It said the sanctions against Gasabo Gold Refinery were in support of the U.S. and Qatari peace efforts.

Politics

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg speaks to reporters after speaking at the South Caro...

Associated Press

Buttigieg returns to South Carolina to court the Black voters who stalled his first White House run

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) — The last time Pete Buttigieg was giving a political speech in South Carolina, it was to mark a distant finish in the state’s primary that effectively ended his campaign for president. Returning this weekend as he mulls a second run for the White House, Buttigieg set out to reintroduce himself to […]

7 hours ago

FILE - Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy looks on during his meeting with U.S. President Dona...

Associated Press

Zelenskyy details rift with dismissed defense minister, saying some of his actions were misguided

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said he believes actions taken by dismissed Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov, including his involvement in mass protests and calls for elections, were misguided, as he publicly detailed their dispute for the first time. Zelenskyy also alluded to problematic decisions over defense spending and said inaccurate information provided […]

10 hours ago

President Donald Trump arrives at the IndyCar Freedom 250 Grand Prix auto race, Sunday, Aug. 23, 20...

Associated Press

Trump leads the IndyCar prerace in the Beast before cars zoom through Washington’s streets

WASHINGTON (AP) — For once, things will be moving quickly in the nation’s capital as Washington hosts an IndyCar race through its streets. President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump made the short drive Sunday afternoon to the course of the Freedom 250 Grand Prix, where cars will whip through the city’s downtown, including […]

15 hours ago

A Canadian flag flies on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. (Patrick Doyle/The C...

Associated Press

What to know about Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canadian goods that just went into effect

CHICAGO (AP) — After trade negotiations crumbled at the eleventh hour, U.S. President Donald Trump’s 50% tariffs on scores of Canadian imports kicked in Saturday. The new levies are expected to affect about 5% of Canada’s annual exports to the U.S., roughly $20 billion in goods ranging from hockey sticks to agricultural products. Canada’s Prime […]

22 hours ago

Rolled coils of steel sit in the yard at the ArcelorMittal Dofasco steel plant in Hamilton, Ont. on...

Associated Press

Trump’s trade war with Canada: A timeline of how we got here

CHICAGO (AP) — President Donald Trump’s barrage of tariffs — and threats of even more — has strained the United States’ longstanding relationship with Canada. Over the course of his second term in office, Trump has threatened Canada’s economy and sovereignty with steep new import taxes on its goods. He’s gone as far as suggesting […]

1 day ago

FILE - Former Sen. Nancy Kassebaum Baker, R-Kansas, looks to the stage during, "A Century of Servic...

Associated Press

Nancy Kassebaum Baker, former US senator from Kansas, dies at 94

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Nancy Kassebaum Baker, a Kansas governor’s daughter who became the first woman elected to the U.S. Senate without following a spouse into office, has died. She was 94. Kassebaum Baker died Friday of natural causes, according to her son, Bill Kassebaum. “She loved Kansas. She loved people from Kansas and representing […]

1 day ago

UN experts report widespread peace deal violations in eastern Congo