MYNORTHWEST NEWS

Controversial bus ads to be removed in King County

Jun 25, 2013, 12:35 PM | Updated: 4:05 pm

Controversial ads featuring the faces of international terrorists wanted by the FBI will be taken off buses in King County.

Congressman Jim McDermott’s office confirmed the decision Tuesday. McDermott and others are outraged that most of the 16 people on the ad are clearly Middle Eastern. He wrote a letter to the FBI, the U.S. Justice Department and others last week asking that the Joint Terrorism Task Force ‘Faces of Global Terrorism’ ad be removed.

“Though civilian vigilance is important to the fight against terror, stereotypes of what a terrorist looks like – or who they worship – are not only wrong, they make us blind to threats that fall outside our limited notions,” McDermott said in the letter to FBI Director Robert Mueller.

McDermott has pointed out that there are other people on the terror list of other races and religions that aren’t part of the bus ad campaign.

“What if you had an ad going around on buses with 16 pictures of blacks on them and the title saying “the faces of national murderers and rapists?” asks Jeff Siddiqui, founder of the American Muslims of Puget Sound.

The ads will be replaced within the next 10 days, according to Special Agent Fredrick Gutt with the FBI in Seattle.

I mean these are the people that we’re seeking information on, and that rewards are being paid for. So people do need to be aware of them,” Gutt said. “But how you communicate that information is important as well.”

McDermott tells KIRO Radio he’s pleased the State Department and Justice Department acted quickly to the concerns.

“We’re a city that accepts diversity and we don’t like generalizations about people. And unfortunately the bus ad looks like a generalization about all Muslims,” McDermott said.

MyNorthwest News

Central Pierce Fire & Rescue crews patrolling the Little Giant Fire at night, looking for hot spots...

Tom Brock

From the front lines to home: Pierce County firefighters wrap up two-week battle

Local firefighters battling what may be the largest wildfire in Chelan County history have now returned to the Puget Sound region.

9 hours ago

traffic weekend closure...

Paola Tristan Arruda, KIRO 7 News

Weekend traffic headaches ahead: Major closures planned on I-405, SR 520/Montlake, and SR 99

Drivers traveling around the Puget Sound region this weekend should prepare for yet another weekend of delays as several major road projects overlap across King County.

14 hours ago

Seattle Spokane startup HQ...

MyNorthwest Staff

Spokane startup auctioning returned retail goods moves HQ to Seattle area

A Spokane startup, BuyWander, is moving its headquarters to the Seattle area while the company is expanding its warehouse network across the country.

15 hours ago

graham girl...

Katy Wade, KIRO 7 News

Family shares fundraiser for 5-year-old girl killed in Graham

A fundraiser has been started to support the family of a 5-year-old girl who was found dead in a Graham yard last week.

1 day ago

executive order safter streets katie wilson...

James Lynch

Mayor Wilson signs executive order to accelerate street safety projects as Seattle falls short on Vision Zero

Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson announced a new executive order Friday aimed at making Seattle’s streets safer for everyone.

1 day ago

sea airport pipeline...

MyNorthwest Staff

Alaska Airlines flight attendants file grievance over staffing on long-haul international flights

Alaska Airlines flight attendants filed a grievance last week, stating the airline has been understaffing its newest long-haul routes from Seattle.

1 day ago

Controversial bus ads to be removed in King County