Buildings evacuated, workers injured after gas leak in North Seattle
Crews with the Seattle Fire Department were at the scene of a natural gas leak in North Seattle. The leak was secured shortly before 12:30 p.m.
All impacted buildings in the area were successfully evacuated, officials said.
The leak began around 10:45 a.m. Friday in the 10300 block of Midvale Avenue North – just south of the intersection of Northgate Way and Aurora Avenue North.
Fire officials said workers with Puget Sound Energy were working to secure the gas line when an ignition occurred.
“Allowing the gas to continue burning is the safest way to mitigate the hazard,” fire officials said.
Two PSE workers were injured in the process and both were transported to an area hospital in stable condition, officials said.
An additional PSE worker was injured later and was also transported to an area hospital in stable condition.
Chopper 7 was overhead when the gas stopped burning around 12:10 p.m.
The gas leak was officially secured around 12:25 p.m.
Officials said firefighters are conducting air monitoring tests and will allow residents back in when the area is deemed safe.
Officers with the Seattle Police Department were at the scene to help control traffic in the area.