SEATTLE NEWS ARCHIVES & FEATURES

Shot at Congress for former Seattle sportscaster is ‘longer than Joe Namath vs. Johnny Unitas’

Apr 25, 2016, 1:27 PM

Congress, Ventrella...

Tony Ventrella was back in the race for the 8th Congressional District. (Photo: Seahawks.com)

(Photo: Seahawks.com)

It’s a longshot, but former Seattle sportscaster Tony Ventrella is committed to challenging Republican incumbent U.S. Rep. Dave Reichert for Congress in the 8th Congressional District.

Ventrella told KIRO Radio’s Dori Monson that he’s contemplated running in the past, but has continued to back away. He finally figured out the reason: the cost to run for office.

Related: Superintendent candidate says teachers should make a minimum of $48K

The reason he’s shied away from running for office is the reason he will campaign against Reichert. He says the problem with Congress is the amount of time they are stuck fundraising, instead of spending time with their peers and understanding what voters want. That’s true, Dori says; the day someone is elected they start the process of raising money to run again.

“I spoke with a number of members of Congress who don’t enjoy that process,” Ventrella told Dori. “Many believe it should be outlawed.” Though there is an effort to do just that, Ventrella says it probably won’t go anywhere.

Ventrella, a Democrat, will focus his campaign on fighting big money in politics. He says he won’t take money from political-action committees or ask rich people for big checks.

Ventrella, 71, spent decades on KING-TV as a sports anchor and has worked for other television and radio stations in the city. Lately, he’s been a digital-media host for the Seattle Seahawks but left the job this year to prepare for the congressional race.

Reichert was first elected to Congress in 2004 and was formerly the King County sheriff.

Dori, a friend of Ventrella, says he should reconsider running.

“I’ve always said don’t do it,” Dori told Ventrella. “I’ve become so cynical of what the process does. No matter how pure of heart you are going into it, few have come out unscathed.”

Ventrella admits it is a longshot without raising the estimated $1 million to $2 million. However, even if he loses but gets his message across it will be a victory for him.

FILE - A poster of Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a man killed by U.S. Immigration and Customs E...

Associated Press

Congresswoman says target of ICE operation in fatal Maine shooting wasn’t up for removal

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The person Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents targeted in Maine last month when an officer shot and killed a motorist was a roommate who was not subject to a final removal order, a Democratic congresswoman from the state said. Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a 25-year-old Colombian national, was shot and killed […]

3 minutes ago

FILE - A youth plays near the machine where the sugar cane is weighed in the Lima batey, or neighbo...

Associated Press

Watchdog calls for US import ban as forced labor persists in Dominican sugarcane fields

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A report released Tuesday by a human rights group found that forced labor persists on massive sugarcane plantations across the Dominican Republic, which exports sugar and other products to the U.S. — its largest market. The nonprofit Corporate Accountability Lab said it spent more than three years investigating the […]

8 minutes ago

U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., speaks with attendees at the South Carolina Republican Party's Silv...

Associated Press

AP Interview: Ralph Norman questions Trump’s endorsement of Darline Graham in South Carolina runoff

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) — U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman says it’s a “head scratcher” that President Donald Trump endorsed Sen. Darline Graham in South Carolina’s Republican Senate runoff, saying his experience in Congress and business — and consistent votes for Trump’s priorities — make him the stronger candidate to replace the late Sen. Lindsey Graham. Norman’s […]

12 minutes ago

Associated Press

Trump administration moves ahead to end roadless rule on national forests

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The Trump administration announced Tuesday it is moving ahead with plans to rescind a quarter-century-old rule that blocked logging, road building and other development on national forest lands, drawing the ire of environmentalists nationwide. The U.S. Forest Service is filing a proposal that would scrap the so called roadless rule adopted […]

19 minutes ago

wa drunk driving crash summer...

Jason Sutich

WA ranks in top 10 for highest share of summer drunk driving crashes

A new study revealed the U.S. states with the highest share of summer drunk driving crashes, and Washington landed in the top 10.

34 minutes ago

FILE - Detailed view of a San Diego Padres logo on a pitching mound during batting practice prior t...

Associated Press

Former Venezuelan player working for San Diego Padres is detained by ICE

A former Venezuelan baseball player working for the San Diego Padres was detained by U.S. immigration officials after arriving in Texas on a work trip for the club, his family said Tuesday. Oswaldo Pirela, a catching coach in the Padres’ minor league system, was being held in a detention center in El Paso, federal records […]

47 minutes ago

Shot at Congress for former Seattle sportscaster is ‘longer than Joe Namath vs. Johnny Unitas’