MYNORTHWEST NEWS

9 months after UW building takeover, no criminal charges filed

Jan 20, 2026, 9:44 AM | Updated: 3:39 pm

uw pro-Palestinian takeover criminal charges...

Masked activists and pro-Palestinian protestors took over and barricaded themselves in the university’s new Interdisciplinary Engineering Building last May. (Photo courtesy of KIRO 7)

(Photo courtesy of KIRO 7)

Frustration is growing over the lack of criminal charges in last year’s building takeover at the University of Washington (UW).

Nine months ago, 34 people were arrested after pro-Palestinian protesters occupied the university’s IEB building. Police escorted them out in handcuffs after they caused an estimated $1 million in damages.

But, 259 days later, the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office (KCPAO) still hasn’t filed charges, according to KOMO News. The office is waiting for additional information before it can determine whether criminal charges are warranted.

Casey McNerthney, a spokesperson for KCPAO, told KIRO Newsradio the UW Police investigation has been ongoing since May 5, and that the investigation remains ongoing until prosecutors get the completed police referrals.

“Several King County senior deputy prosecutors have been in contact with University of Washington police consistently since this happened in May 2025, outlining specifically what state law is for felony charges or misdemeanor charges. UW Police is working on those,” McNerthney stated.

Some Jewish alumni told KIRO Newsradio the lack of consequences sends the wrong message.

Additionally, the bans imposed on students involved in the takeover have been lifted. In May, 21 students who participated in a pro-Palestinian protest were suspended and banned from all UW campuses. But, according to Students United for Palestinian Equality and Return (SUPER UW), suspensions have been served and the students are now free.

According to the university, the students involved forfeited tuition or financial aid during the suspension period. These students may have to repay the university before they can officially return.

“Any outstanding balances due must be paid in order to be eligible for re-enrollment,” UW spokesperson Victor Balta told KOMO News.

The extent of the damages

According to KOMO News, doors were pulled off their hinges, while others were glued shut. Participants of the takeover broke and smashed machine manufacturing tools worth thousands of dollars. A Boeing mural was also defaced.

SUPER UW barricaded themselves in the building with furniture, e-scooters, and other items. The group also started small fires by burning trash from a dumpster.

“This was no peaceful protest in support of Palestinian rights or against the war in Gaza. I condemn this dangerous, violent, and illegal building occupation and related vandalism,” UW President Ana Mari Cauce said in a statement Tuesday. “I also condemn in the strongest terms the group’s statement celebrating the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians. The university will not be intimidated by this sort of horrific and destructive behavior and will not engage in dialogue with any group using or condoning such destructive tactics. We will continue our actions to oppose antisemitism, racism, and all forms of biases so that ALL our students, faculty, staff, and visitors can feel safe and welcome on our campuses.”

Group wants UW to cut ties with Boeing

SUPER UW claimed responsibility for the takeover in May. The organization wants the university to stop receiving any funding or donations from Boeing.

“Return any existing donations, financial investments, and eliminate all other material ties to Boeing,” SUPER UW stated. “Prohibit Boeing executives and employees from teaching classes or having any influence over curriculum.”

Boeing, in addition to being one of the premier airplane manufacturers in the world, is one of the largest defense companies in the U.S. UW has previously stated that its relationship with Boeing dates back “more than a century.”

Contributing: Frank Sumrall and Julia Dallas, MyNorthwest

MyNorthwest News

sea flights hawaii hurricane...

MyNorthwest staff with wire reports

SEA flights delayed, canceled as Hawaii recovers from Hurricane Lala

Flights at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) are delayed or canceled as airlines work to recover from the storm that swept across Hawaii over the weekend.

2 hours ago

missing baby vancouver...

Frank Sumrall

7-month-old baby missing from Vancouver, WSP seeking 37-year-old suspect in late 90s red Jeep

A 7-month-old baby was reported missing Sunday morning in Vancouver, the Washington State Patrol (WSP) reported.

2 hours ago

lake tapps drowning girl rescue...

Heather Bosch, KIRO 7 News

Bystanders rescue drowning girl at Lake Tapps

A 10-year-old child was in critical, but stable condition Sunday night, thanks to the quick action of bystanders who pulled the drowning girl from Lake Tapps.

2 hours ago

Hayden Panettiere heroes...

HANNAH SCHOENBAUM, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in the television series ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hayden Panettiere, star of popular television series including "Heroes" and "Nashville," died Sunday at an apartment complex in South Carolina. She was 36.

3 hours ago

wildfire smoke...

Ted Buehner

More wildfire smoke likely to sweep into western Washington

With the wildfire season likely to extend well into September, another change in the winds can sweep even more smoke across western Washington.

3 hours ago

ICE facility Tacoma hunger strike...

Jack Bilyeu, KIRO 7 News

US representatives investigate hunger strike at Tacoma ICE facility

A hunger strike is underway at the ICE facility in Tacoma, according to the activist group La Resistencia.

1 day ago

9 months after UW building takeover, no criminal charges filed