NATIONAL NEWS

Israel, Lebanon agree to a 10-day ceasefire, Trump says

Apr 16, 2026, 8:59 AM | Updated: 9:17 am

Trump ceasefire israel lebanon...

A photo of U.S. President Donald Trump. (Photo: Julia Demaree Nikhinson - Pool, Getty Images)

(Photo: Julia Demaree Nikhinson - Pool, Getty Images)

U.S. President Donald Trump announced a 10-day pause in fighting between Israel and Lebanon starting on Thursday at 5 p.m. ET, following “excellent” conversations he had with each nation’s leader.

Earlier in the day, Lebanese President Joseph Aoun refused to speak to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, despite Trump saying the two leaders would convene. Israel’s and Lebanon’s respective ambassadors to the U.S. held their first direct diplomatic talks in decades earlier this week.

Israel has been fighting the Iran-backed Hezbollah militant group in Lebanon, where nearly 2,200 people have been killed by Israeli strikes.

Trump said he’s directed U.S. Vice President JD Vance and others to work with Israel and Lebanon to “achieve a Lasting PEACE.” He added: “So let’s, GET IT DONE.”

14 ships turn around from the Iran blockade, US military says

U.S. Central Command says those vessels have turned around in the first three days of the blockade on Iranian ports at the direction of American forces.

At a Pentagon news briefing earlier Thursday, U.S. defense leaders said more than 10,000 American troops are helping enforce the blockade on Iranian ports and that no ships have yet needed to be boarded.

Pakistan’s army chief met with Iranian officials in Tehran on Thursday in a bid to extend the ceasefire, which paused almost seven weeks of war between Israel, the U.S. and Iran that have killed thousands of people and upended global markets by disrupting the flow of oil. Uncertainty remains whether the frantic diplomacy can lead to a deal. A second round of US-Iran talks hasn’t been scheduled yet, Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Thursday.

The meeting comes as Lebanese President Joseph Aoun refused to speak to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, despite U.S. President Donald Trump saying the two leaders would convene on Thursday to discuss halting the fighting between them. Israel’s and Lebanon’s respective ambassadors to the U.S. met for their first direct diplomatic talks in decades earlier this week.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent warned on Wednesday that the U.S. is preparing to ramp up economic pain on Iran by levying secondary sanctions on financial institutions that do business with the Middle Eastern nation. Bessent called the measure the “financial equivalent” of a bombing campaign.

Trump calls Lebanese president in ongoing diplomatic scramble over war between Israel, Hezbollah

The office of Lebanon’s President Joseph Aoun said President Trump was thanked by the Lebanese head of state to reach a ceasefire in the devastating war.

Aoun earlier spoke to U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio where he refused to have a direct call with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and has insisted on achieving a ceasefire ahead of continued direct talks. Israel hasn’t made a decision regarding a ceasefire.

The statement said Trump stressed “his commitment to fulfilling the Lebanese request for a ceasefire as soon as possible.”

Neither the State Department nor the White House immediately issue a statement on the calls with the Lebanese president.

Houthi leader in Yemen blames the US in Iran talks

Abdul Malik al-Houthi, leader of the Iran-backed Yemeni rebel group, said that in negotiations with Iran, the U.S. is making “impossible demands for any independent country to accept.”

During a video speech Thursday, he said the ongoing two-week ceasefire was a result of “failures” by the U.S. and Israel to achieve their goals in the Iran war.

“If negotiations succeed, it will either result in a longer period of stability or an end to the aggression,” he said, adding that the U.S. entered negotiations based on their own terms built on “arrogance and pride.”

Death toll of Lebanese killed in Israeli strikes increases to 2,196

Lebanon’s Health Ministry says that among the killed are 260 women and 172 children since the latest war between Israel and Hezbollah began March 2. Another 7,185 have been wounded.

Israel’s latest military escalation started after Hezbollah fired rockets towards northern Israel in solidarity with its key ally and patron Iran.

Lebanon and Israel started direct talks Tuesday, the first of their kind since 1993. Lebanon hopes those talks can end the war.

‘Difficult days and weeks’ for sailors trapped on ships unable to travel through Strait of Hormuz

Germany’s largest shipping company Hapag-Lloyd says it’s feeling the impact of the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz as 150 sailors are trapped there on six of its vessels.

“Five and a half weeks in a war zone — that’s something relatively new. And of course, these are difficult days and weeks for our colleagues,” Hapag Lloyd spokesperson Nils Haupt told The Associated Press.

“We’ve been able to rotate some of them in the meantime, but you can easily imagine that after such a long time, monotony naturally sets in on board, and the most important thing now in this situation is to maintain that team spirit,” he added.

Hapag-Lloyd is in contact with the captains and crews at least once a day asking how the crew is doing and what they can do to help.

It’s helpful, Haupt says, that thanks to modern satellite technology, the sailors are able to keep up communication with their families.

National News

A person prays before receiving a free boxed lunch at City Life Center in Gary, Ind., Thursday, Aug...

Associated Press

‘Survival mode’: Indiana residents endure a ninth day without power

GARY, Ind. (AP) — Tens of thousands of residents in northwest Indiana were in survival mode Thursday as they endured a ninth day without power, throwing out spoiled food, lining up for hot meals and searching for places to charge their phones. In Gary, Indiana, schools remained closed after the deadly Aug. 11 storm downed […]

4 minutes ago

FILE - Gen. Christopher LaNeve, vice chief of staff of the Army, testifies at the Capitol in Washin...

Associated Press

Army will shut down a unit in Europe focused on learning drone warfare

WASHINGTON (AP) — An Army unit based in Europe that was specializing in drone warfare has been directed to end its efforts to learn and use the battlefield technology and return to being a traditional infantry battalion, officials said Thursday. For more nearly a year, soldiers of the 173rd Airborne Brigade have been experimenting and […]

54 minutes ago

FILE - A microbiologist points out an isolated E. coli growth on an agar plate at the Washington St...

Associated Press

Alfalfa sprouts linked to food poisoning illnesses in Minnesota and Wisconsin

NEW YORK (AP) — Minnesota health officials are warning consumers not to eat certain brands of alfalfa sprouts that have been tied to an unusual outbreak involving different disease-causing bacteria. Officials say 23 people in Minnesota have become ill with either E. coli or salmonella infections, with two of them hospitalized. Three had salmonella, and […]

58 minutes ago

President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with technology leaders in the Roosevelt Room of the...

Associated Press

Investigators examining foes of Trump seek interviews related to Mar-a-Lago search, AP sources say

WASHINGTON (AP) — Justice Department investigators have sought to interview law enforcement officials related to the FBI search of Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate as part of a Florida-based inquiry aiming to establish a conspiracy against the Republican president, multiple people familiar with the matter said Thursday. The requests for interviews, made in recent weeks, suggest […]

1 hour ago

Associated Press

New York woman charged in plot to set off explosives at state Capitol, kill lawmakers, FBI says

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — An Albany woman who authorities said had been plotting to bomb the New York state Capitol building in an effort to kill lawmakers because she believed laws were being passed that were an affront to Islam is facing a federal terrorism charge. Authorities said Thursday that Jessica Bowie, 35, of Albany, […]

2 hours ago

FILE - Michael Cohen speaks during a news conference announcing his new radio show in New York, Jul...

Associated Press

Michael Cohen, Trump’s former fixer-turned-enemy, is hosting the president on his radio show

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is expected to appear Thursday on the radio show of his former fixer-turned-foe Michael Cohen, making a public reunion with the man who once called him a “Cheeto-dusted cartoon villain” and testified against him both in court and before Congress. Cohen, who served prison time for his role in […]

4 hours ago

Israel, Lebanon agree to a 10-day ceasefire, Trump says