Derailed train cars in Whatcom County to be removed Monday
Dec 28, 2020, 8:50 AM
In this aerial view from a drone, a train carrying crude oil burns while derailed on Dec. 22, 2020 in Custer, Washington. BNSF Railway Company released a statement saying the train was traveling north when seven tank cars derailed, resulting in a fire and evacuations of the area. (Photo by David Ryder/Getty Images)
(Photo by David Ryder/Getty Images)
Officials with the Washington Department of Ecology say they plan to start removing the train cars that derailed last week in Whatcom County starting Monday.
Train carrying crude oil derails, catches fire in Whatcom County
On Dec. 22, seven cars of a train carrying crude oil derailed in the 7500 block of Portal Way at 11:46 a.m. and a fire started in two of the derailed cars, according to BNSF. Residents of Custer, Wash., were asked to evacuate as crews worked to contain the flames. The fire was under control and the 3/4 mile evacuation was lifted about six hours later.
As of last Wednesday, there had only been minimal impacts to the public and environment reported as the cleanup was underway. The team had been working to recover product from hold cars and the cars involved in the incident, and anything that spilled into the nearby ditch or may have contaminated water in the surrounding area.
Update on the Custer train derailment: Crews continue removing oil from and cleaning remaining cars onsite. pic.twitter.com/d5AKZHRVzB
— WA Department of Ecology 😷 (@EcologyWA) December 27, 2020
“As far as crude oil derailments, fires, and spills go, this incident could probably not have occurred in a better location with regards to minimizing off-site impacts,” said David Byers, the state Department of Ecology’s on-scene coordinator, on Dec. 23.
The cause of the derailment is still unknown. No injuries were reported to the public, first responders, nor to the two crew members onboard the train.
Train service resumed on Thursday, Dec. 24, following “extensive testing and inspections.” BNSF said initial trains would operate at reduced speeds.
Once the mainline reopens, regular service will resume. The initial trains will operate at reduced speeds. (3/3)
— BNSF Railway (@BNSFRailway) December 24, 2020
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
