NATIONAL NEWS

Justice Department agrees to return Rep. Andy Ogles’ phone, signaling end of campaign finance probe

May 6, 2026, 11:24 AM

FILE - Rep. Andy Ogles, R-Tenn., speaks to supporters after being declared the winner in his Republ...

FILE - Rep. Andy Ogles, R-Tenn., speaks to supporters after being declared the winner in his Republican primary race, Aug. 1, 2024, in Franklin, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department has agreed to return U.S. Rep. Andy Ogles’ personal cellphone that was seized as part of an investigation into his campaign finances, signaling it’s abandoning its probe into the staunch Trump supporter that began under the Biden administration.

The FBI confiscated the Tennessee Republican’s cellphone in August 2024 to examine issues with his campaign finance reporting, but it had agreed not to review material from it and his personal email account as he challenged the matter in court.

A judge had not yet ruled on Ogles’ challenge when defense lawyers revealed in a court filing on Tuesday that the Justice Department had voluntarily agreed to “promptly” return his phone and destroy the information it had obtained from it and his Google email account.

The investigation, started under President Joe Biden, a Democrat, had remained open under President Donald Trump, a Republican, but had stalled while the government awaited the judge’s ruling on whether investigators could examine Ogles’ phone and emails. The Justice Department’s criminal division last year, led at the time by acting Assistant Attorney General Matthew Galeotti, had concluded the investigation should move forward even after local prosecutors in Tennessee withdrew from the case, a criminal division prosecutor wrote in an email last July urging the Tennessee attorneys to reconsider.

The move comes as the Justice Department is facing intense scrutiny over its pursuit of Trump’s perceived political enemies, including former FBI Director James Comey and New York Attorney General Letitia James, a Democrat.

The Department of Justice didn’t immediately respond to questions on Wednesday about its decision and whether it was formally closing the Ogles investigation. Ogles’ lawyers told the court they were notified of the decision during discussions with the department’s criminal division, now led by Assistant Attorney General Tysen Duva.

Ogles called it a “complete win for the responsible exercise of prosecutorial discretion and respect for the Constitution’s Separation of Powers.” Ogles is still facing a House Ethics Committee investigation.

“From the day the FBI showed up, I said this investigation should never have happened and that the Biden DOJ had no right to rummage through a sitting congressman’s legislative communications,” Ogles said in a statement. “Today the Justice Department has effectively acknowledged I was right.”

At the time his phone was seized, Ogles said his understanding was that the FBI was investigating “mistakes” in his initial financial filings that had been “widely reported for months.”

Ogles reported making a $320,000 loan to his campaign committee in 2022. He later amended his filings to show that he only loaned his campaign $20,000, telling news outlets that he originally meant to “pledge” $320,000 but that pledge was mistakenly included in his campaign reports.

National News

This combo made with photos provided by NASA on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026, taken by the Lunar Reconnai...

Associated Press

Before-and-after NASA images show crater carved by a SpaceX rocket that slammed into the moon

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A NASA spacecraft circling the moon is providing the sharpest views yet of the crater carved by a crashing SpaceX rocket. The space agency released before-and-after photos of the impact area on Tuesday. The Falcon rocket’s upper stage plowed into the moon at 5,400 mph (8,700 kph) on Aug. 5 […]

2 hours ago

Associated Press

AI-assisted tool helped secure satellite communication system after 2022 Russian hacking

WASHINGTON (AP) — On the same day it invaded Ukraine in 2022, Russia disabled thousands of satellite modems across Ukraine and other European countries, aiming to disrupt communications. A new AI-assisted tool aims to help close that kind of vulnerability amid concerns about continued Russian aggression and newer Iranian threats to cyber infrastructure. The cybersecurity […]

2 hours ago

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks alongside Paraguay's Vice President Pedro Alliana (not pictur...

Associated Press

US hits ICC president and senior prosecutor with sanctions in another move against the court

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration has imposed sanctions on the president of the International Criminal Court and one of its top prosecutors as it continues a campaign to dismantle the tribunal, which it accuses of trying to unfairly prosecute U.S. and Israeli soldiers for alleged crimes in Afghanistan, Iraq and Gaza. The State Department […]

2 hours ago

FILE – Larry Greene, public information director of the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility, demo...

Associated Press

Ohio death row inmate Tyrone Noling gets a rare chance to ask parole board for a pardon

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Tyrone Noling has spent 30 years on death row for the double murder of an elderly Ohio couple that he insists he didn’t commit. He had a rare chance Tuesday to make his case for a full pardon to the Ohio Parole Board. Noling, 54, of Alliance, assembled a growing body […]

3 hours ago

FILE - In this photo provided by U.S. Navy, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfol...

Associated Press

US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors aboard broke down for four days in the Pacific

WASHINGTON (AP) — A U.S. Navy destroyer with about 300 sailors aboard suffered a major breakdown in the Pacific Ocean last month that left it without power for four days, the Navy confirmed in a statement. The USS Benfold “reported an engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power” on July 24, Navy […]

3 hours ago

Associated Press

Georgia man charged with burglarizing NASCAR driver Greg Biffle’s home after plane crash

STATESVILLE, N.C. (AP) — A Georgia man burglarized former NASCAR driver Greg Biffle’s home after learning Biffle and his family died in a plane crash, a North Carolina sheriff said Tuesday. Terrell Williams, 44, has been charged with second-degree burglary, safe cracking, money laundering and other felonies, Iredell County Sheriff Darren Campbell announced at a […]

3 hours ago

Justice Department agrees to return Rep. Andy Ogles’ phone, signaling end of campaign finance probe