NATIONAL NEWS

Justice Department agrees to return Rep. Andy Ogles’ phone, signaling end of campaign finance probe

May 6, 2026, 11:24 AM

FILE - Rep. Andy Ogles, R-Tenn., speaks to supporters after being declared the winner in his Republ...

FILE - Rep. Andy Ogles, R-Tenn., speaks to supporters after being declared the winner in his Republican primary race, Aug. 1, 2024, in Franklin, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Mark Humphrey, File)

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department has agreed to return U.S. Rep. Andy Ogles’ personal cellphone that was seized as part of an investigation into his campaign finances, signaling it’s abandoning its probe into the staunch Trump supporter that began under the Biden administration.

The FBI confiscated the Tennessee Republican’s cellphone in August 2024 to examine issues with his campaign finance reporting, but it had agreed not to review material from it and his personal email account as he challenged the matter in court.

A judge had not yet ruled on Ogles’ challenge when defense lawyers revealed in a court filing on Tuesday that the Justice Department had voluntarily agreed to “promptly” return his phone and destroy the information it had obtained from it and his Google email account.

The investigation, started under President Joe Biden, a Democrat, had remained open under President Donald Trump, a Republican, but had stalled while the government awaited the judge’s ruling on whether investigators could examine Ogles’ phone and emails. The Justice Department’s criminal division last year, led at the time by acting Assistant Attorney General Matthew Galeotti, had concluded the investigation should move forward even after local prosecutors in Tennessee withdrew from the case, a criminal division prosecutor wrote in an email last July urging the Tennessee attorneys to reconsider.

The move comes as the Justice Department is facing intense scrutiny over its pursuit of Trump’s perceived political enemies, including former FBI Director James Comey and New York Attorney General Letitia James, a Democrat.

The Department of Justice didn’t immediately respond to questions on Wednesday about its decision and whether it was formally closing the Ogles investigation. Ogles’ lawyers told the court they were notified of the decision during discussions with the department’s criminal division, now led by Assistant Attorney General Tysen Duva.

Ogles called it a “complete win for the responsible exercise of prosecutorial discretion and respect for the Constitution’s Separation of Powers.” Ogles is still facing a House Ethics Committee investigation.

“From the day the FBI showed up, I said this investigation should never have happened and that the Biden DOJ had no right to rummage through a sitting congressman’s legislative communications,” Ogles said in a statement. “Today the Justice Department has effectively acknowledged I was right.”

At the time his phone was seized, Ogles said his understanding was that the FBI was investigating “mistakes” in his initial financial filings that had been “widely reported for months.”

Ogles reported making a $320,000 loan to his campaign committee in 2022. He later amended his filings to show that he only loaned his campaign $20,000, telling news outlets that he originally meant to “pledge” $320,000 but that pledge was mistakenly included in his campaign reports.

Please follow our Community Guidelines

National News

Dr. Anthony Fauci is sworn in before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committe...

Associated Press

Ex-Fauci adviser pleads guilty to plotting to conceal COVID-19 research records during pandemic

GREENBELT, Md. (AP) — A former senior adviser to infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci pleaded guilty Tuesday to plotting to conceal federal records related to research on the origins of the deadly COVID-19 pandemic. Dr. David Morens is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 12 by U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis in Greenbelt, Maryland. Morens […]

13 minutes ago

FILE - An Amazon company logo marks the facade of a building, March 18, 2022, in Schoenefeld near B...

Associated Press

Amazon set to expand drone delivery of lightweight packages to 500 US cities

Millions more people may be able to get smaller, lightweight Amazon packages delivered by drones by the end of the year under a plan the company announced Thursday to expand the airborne shipping to suburban areas in nearly 500 U.S. cities. Customers could receive the drone deliveries in as fast as 30 minutes, Amazon said […]

45 minutes ago

Associated Press

In Meta’s trial, families of social media victims see a pivotal moment for online safety

As opening statements kicked off Tuesday in a trial for Meta Platforms, advocates and parents of social media victims gathered outside the federal courthouse in Oakland, California, with a banner that stretched several feet across. Written on it in black ink were the names of children and young adults who have died from social media […]

54 minutes ago

This combo made with photos provided by NASA on Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026, taken by the Lunar Reconnai...

Associated Press

Before-and-after NASA images show crater carved by a SpaceX rocket that slammed into the moon

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A NASA spacecraft circling the moon is providing the sharpest views yet of the crater carved by a crashing SpaceX rocket. The space agency released before-and-after photos of the impact area on Tuesday. The Falcon rocket’s upper stage plowed into the moon at 5,400 mph (8,700 kph) on Aug. 5 […]

3 hours ago

Associated Press

AI-assisted tool helped secure satellite communication system after 2022 Russian hacking

WASHINGTON (AP) — On the same day it invaded Ukraine in 2022, Russia disabled thousands of satellite modems across Ukraine and other European countries, aiming to disrupt communications. A new AI-assisted tool aims to help close that kind of vulnerability amid concerns about continued Russian aggression and newer Iranian threats to cyber infrastructure. The cybersecurity […]

3 hours ago

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks alongside Paraguay's Vice President Pedro Alliana (not pictur...

Associated Press

US hits ICC president and senior prosecutor with sanctions in another move against the court

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration has imposed sanctions on the president of the International Criminal Court and one of its top prosecutors as it continues a campaign to dismantle the tribunal, which it accuses of trying to unfairly prosecute U.S. and Israeli soldiers for alleged crimes in Afghanistan, Iraq and Gaza. The State Department […]

3 hours ago

Justice Department agrees to return Rep. Andy Ogles’ phone, signaling end of campaign finance probe