NATIONAL NEWS

Man to plead guilty in Colorado firebombing attack on pro-Israel demonstrators

May 4, 2026, 1:43 PM

FILE - Bouquets of flowers stand along a makeshift memorial for victims of an attack outside of the...

FILE - Bouquets of flowers stand along a makeshift memorial for victims of an attack outside of the Boulder County courthouse on June 3, 2025, in Boulder, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, file)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/David Zalubowski, file)

FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) — A man accused of killing one person and injuring a dozen more in a firebomb attack on Colorado demonstrators showing support for Israeli hostages in Gaza plans to plead guilty this week, according to court documents.

Mohamed Sabry Soliman faces a life sentence without the possibility of parole if a state judge accepts his guilty plea in the June 1 attack in downtown Boulder, according to the documents filed by his attorneys on Sunday in a related federal case.

Soliman had previously pleaded not guilty after he was accused of throwing two Molotov cocktails during the demonstration at a pedestrian mall. An 82-year-old woman who was injured in the attack later died. A dozen others were also injured.

Soliman is an Egyptian national who federal authorities say was living in the U.S. illegally. Investigators say he planned the attack for a year and was driven by a desire “to kill all Zionist people.”

Soliman faces dozens of state charges including murder and attempted murder.

He has pleaded not guilty to federal hate crime charges. Prosecutors are considering whether to seek the death sentence in that case, according to his attorneys. Soliman’s attorneys said he offered last August to plead guilty in that case and would accept a sentence of life in prison.

The Associated Press left voicemail messages for Soliman’s attorneys in both cases.

Shannon Carbone with the 20th Judicial District Attorney’s Office, which is prosecuting the state case, declined to comment on Soliman’s intention to plead guilty Thursday, citing public comment restrictions imposed on prosecutors. She said County Attorney Michael Dougherty will address the case following Thursday’s hearing.

Investigators say Soliman told them he intended to kill the roughly 20 participants at the weekly demonstration at Boulder’s Pearl Street pedestrian mall. But he threw just two of more than two dozen Molotov cocktails he had with him while yelling, “Free Palestine!” Police said he told them he got scared because he had never hurt anyone before.

Federal prosecutors allege the victims were targeted because of their perceived or actual connection to Israel. But Soliman’s federal defense lawyers say he should not have been charged with hate crimes because the evidence shows he was motivated by opposition to Zionism, the political movement to establish and sustain a Jewish state in Israel.

An attack motivated by someone’s political views is not considered a hate crime under federal law.

State prosecutors have identified 29 victims in the attack. Thirteen were physically injured, and the others were nearby and are considered victims because they could have been hurt. A dog was also injured in the attack, and Soliman has been charged with animal cruelty.

___

Brown reported from Billings, Montana.

Please follow our Community Guidelines

National News

Workers install a 3D-printed living seawall manufactured by Kind Designs at the Church by the Sea, ...

Associated Press

Florida shows how to adapt as coastal cities face growing threats from sea level rise and storms

One day there was a roof. The next morning it was gone. Jeffrey Huber still remembers the day some 34 years ago when Hurricane Andrew blew off the roof of his childhood home, one of tens of thousands damaged and destroyed across southern Florida. For days, first responders couldn’t get to them. For a month […]

3 minutes ago

FILE - A man views the lunar eclipse, Tuesday, March 3, 2026, in South Portland, Maine. (AP Photo/R...

Associated Press

Near-total lunar eclipse is coming up with the Americas in prime position

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Now it’s the moon’s turn to pull a disappearing act. After being shut out of this month’s total solar eclipse, the Americas will have the best seats in the celestial house when Earth’s shadow briefly envelops the moon. Almost the entire lunar surface will be masked Thursday night into Friday […]

5 minutes ago

On-site caretaker Jodi Kleier hands a piece of banana to a gibbon at the Gibbon Conservation Center...

Associated Press

How a sanctuary outside LA has cared for rare, endangered gibbons for a half-century

LOS ANGELES (AP) — In between morning feedings, the gibbons begin to sing — loudly. Ranging from the sound of emergency sirens and birds screeching to low grunts and guttural hoots, their vocalizations reverberate from a sanctuary in the hot, dry hills of the Santa Clarita Valley, north of Los Angeles. Over the past 50 […]

8 hours ago

Associated Press

US is set to impose 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products

WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States was set to impose 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian products early Saturday after last-ditch negotiations failed to resolve the latest strain in already tense relations between the historic allies. President Donald Trump’s import taxes will hit about 5% of what Canada ships to the United States […]

8 hours ago

FILE - The TikTok logo is displayed on a mobile phone in front of a computer screen, Oct. 14, 2022,...

Associated Press

TikTok reaches $400 million settlement with US Justice Department over children’s privacy

TikTok has reached a $400 million settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice, ending a 2024 lawsuit alleging the company violated federal children’s privacy laws. The DOJ said Friday that TikTok will pay $300 million immediately and another $100 million after an order vacates an earlier consent decree against its predecessor company, Musical.ly. “This settlement […]

12 hours ago

The Colorado River flows beneath the Glen Canyon Dam at the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, T...

Associated Press

Federal officials announce water cuts as Colorado River supplies continue to plunge

Federal officials announced sharp water cuts for the next two years on Friday for three Western states that rely on the imperiled Colorado River. Under the Bureau of Reclamation’s plan, California, Nevada and Arizona will collectively reduce water use by 1.25 million acre-feet (about 1.54 billion cubic meters) annually during that period, with the possibility […]

12 hours ago

Man to plead guilty in Colorado firebombing attack on pro-Israel demonstrators