NATIONAL NEWS

President Donald Trump announces plan to lower beef prices, but some Republicans are already balking

Aug 21, 2026, 9:20 AM

President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with technology leaders in the Roosevelt Room of the...

President Donald Trump speaks during a meeting with technology leaders in the Roosevelt Room of the White House, Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Credit: AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin

(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump announced Friday that his administration will allow more beef to be temporarily imported into the U.S. without triggering higher tariffs, as he remains under pressure to cut costs and address affordability issues ahead of November’s midterms.

The president said on social media that he had committed to ensuring the imported beef would be sold at 25% below current market rates, making it cheaper for American consumers. A White House official said the deal is with foreign beef exporters who have agreed to the discount on beef, which the official said would be passed on to consumers.

The directive drew quick backlash from conservative rural-state Republicans who raised alarms about the plan’s impact on ranchers.

“I’ve advised President Trump against this course of action for a year because American ranchers have been struggling against the packer monopoly for decades, and this will further harm them — most of whom are MAGA Republicans,” Sen. Tim Sheehy, R-Mont., said in a social media post just hours after the president’s announcement Friday morning.

Sheehy, a reliable ally of the president, said Trump’s “heart is in the right place” but the plan would nonetheless “make it more difficult for American ranchers to rebuild our herd and bring prices down for the American people. And most importantly, this will harm our ranching families who feed the nation.”

The deal, Trump said, allows up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef to be imported into the U.S. for the next 90 days without activating an “out of quota” tariff, which is a tax that goes into effect once a certain quantity of that product enters the country.

The White House official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a plan that has yet to be finalized, said the beef in question is lean beef trimmings that are used for ground beef production. Trump plans to sign an executive order formalizing the directive within two weeks, the official said.

The announced plan is likely to also spur opposition from American ranchers and farm groups, which have been some of the president’s most reliable political supporters but have balked at Trump’s past efforts to import more foreign beef.

When the administration made a push last year to buy more beef from Argentina, key ranching and farming groups such as The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association raised concerns about the impact on American ranchers and feedlot operators.

The Trump administration has struggled to combat the cost of beef, which has remained high due to several factors including drought, tight cattle supply and Americans’ consistent demand for the product. The U.S. president has also imposed 50% tariffs on Brazil, a major beef exporter.

Last year, Trump asked his Justice Department to launch an investigation into foreign-owned meat packers, accusing those companies of ramping up beef prices in the U.S. He offered no evidence for his claims at the time, and a trade group representing meat packers said they weren’t to blame for high prices.

The president also said Friday that his plan would help grow the U.S. cattle supply, which is the smallest in decades. But the idea of increased beef imports from abroad can create uncertainty for ranchers, which in turn could make them less likely to make investments to grow the herd.

“Imports have been a major contributor to the decline in the U.S. cattle inventory,” said Bill Bullard, the CEO of the R-CALF USA, which represents independent cattle producers. “Using more imports today will exacerbate that decline, and will prevent herd expansion.”

Please follow our Community Guidelines

National News

This photo provided by Jimmy Fee shows Walter Chapman, left, and Damon Sacco, captain of the Castaf...

Associated Press

Charter boat hauls in 1,260-pound blue marlin believed to be East Coast’s largest catch

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Damon Sacco had never seen anything like the fish he and fellow anglers fought for hours in the waters off Massachusetts. As it rose from the depths, it looked like a glimmering blue spaceship. Sacco, a longtime Massachusetts charter fishing boat captain, saw the giant fin break the surface, and at […]

22 minutes ago

FILE - The UN flag flies on a stormy day at the United Nations during the United Nations General As...

Associated Press

US plans to pay $850 million of the $5 billion it owes the United Nations

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. government has notified Congress of its plans to pay $850 million of the several billion it owes to the United Nations, the largest payment the Trump administration would make to the world body since it demanded sweeping reforms in exchange for continued support as its largest donor. The State Department […]

27 minutes ago

FILE - Castle Peak is shown in an aerial view on Feb. 20, 2026, near Soda Springs, Calif. (AP Photo...

Associated Press

Backcountry guide company faces $150K in fines after California’s deadliest modern avalanche

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California workplace safety officials have fined a guide company that was leading backcountry skiers down a mountain in February when an avalanche was triggered, killing nine members of the group in the deadliest avalanche in the state’s modern history. The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health, or Cal/OSHA, issued $151,300 […]

58 minutes ago

Work continues on the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026, in Washington. (AP ...

Associated Press

National park maintenance work sidelined as Trump’s Freedom 250 takes precedence

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — The 250th anniversary of U.S. independence was just months away when National Park Service employees received a surprising directive from Washington: Maintenance projects approved for this year at sites across the nation were being relegated to a new “low priority” list. Work wanted by the White House was taking precedence, including […]

1 hour ago

FILE - Ed Martin speaks at an event at the Capitol in Washington, June 13, 2023. (AP Photo/Amanda A...

Associated Press

Trump loyalist Ed Martin is leaving the Justice Department to focus on election ‘legal battles’

WASHINGTON (AP) — Ed Martin, a loyal White House ally who held multiple Justice Department posts despite unconventional tactics that sometimes rankled his superiors, is leaving President Donald Trump’s administration, the Republican president said Friday. Trump said in a social media post that Martin is leaving his role as the Justice Department’s pardon attorney to […]

2 hours ago

President Donald Trump speaks outside the White House, Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026, in Washington, nea...

Associated Press

FACT FOCUS: Census Bureau report does not prove Trump’s claim about noncitizen voting in 2020

In his most recent challenge to the results of the 2020 U.S. election, President Donald Trump this week cited a report claiming to show that thousands of noncitizens voted, a practice studies have found to be extremely rare. Trump’s Truth Social post on Tuesday referenced a report published by the U.S. Census Bureau that he […]

2 hours ago

President Donald Trump announces plan to lower beef prices, but some Republicans are already balking