NATIONAL NEWS

Rescue mission is called off for NASA’s aging Swift space telescope

Aug 19, 2026, 12:07 PM

FILE - This photo provided by NASA shows Kieran Wilson, LINK's principal investigator, and Hunter R...

FILE - This photo provided by NASA shows Kieran Wilson, LINK's principal investigator, and Hunter Robertson, a space systems engineer, both at Katalyst Space, standing next to their spacecraft inside the SES (Space Environment Simulator) at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., April 17, 2026, ahead of thermal vacuum testing. (Sophia Roberts/NASA via AP, File)
Credit: NASA via AP

(Sophia Roberts/NASA via AP, File)

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — The mission to save NASA’s sinking Swift Observatory was called off Wednesday, dooming the telescope to a fiery reentry later this year.

NASA and Katalyst Space Technologies announced the news more than a month after the startup’s Link spacecraft rocketed away to the telescope’s rescue.

Katalyst said Link will not attempt to capture Swift and boost it to a higher orbit because of problems with controlling the spacecraft. NASA said this means the telescope will plunge through the atmosphere after more than 20 years of tracking some of the biggest explosions in the universe like gamma ray bursts and exploding stars.

NASA paid $30 million to Katalyst in an attempt to raise the telescope to a safer, longer-lasting orbit. Intense solar activity caused it to lose altitude faster than expected. The rescue spacecraft went into an uncontrollable spin a few weeks after its liftoff in early July. While flight controllers managed to slow Link’s tumble, issues continued to plague its pointing and positioning in orbit.

“This is not the outcome we were working toward, but it does not change why this mission was worth attempting,” NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman said in a statement.

As a consolation prize, Katalyst will continue to operate Link in proximity with the telescope to demonstrate capabilities for future rescue operations.

Katalyst CEO Ghonhee Lee said it was an ambitious mission on an aggressive timeline that was thrown together in under a year .

“We took on this high-risk, high-reward challenge and are proud of the milestones we reached along the way,” Lee said in a statement. “We have already learned a tremendous amount.”

Launched in 2004, Swift’s science instruments were turned off earlier this year to slow its descent. It was orbiting 216 miles (347 kilometers) high as of last week.

NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope could benefit from an orbital boost and had been next in line for a rescue attempt had this mission gone well. The 36-year-old Hubble is also dropping in orbit because of all the sun’s recent outbursts. It wasn’t immediately known whether Hubble is now out of luck.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

Please follow our Community Guidelines

National News

Soldiers participate in the annual Han Kuang military exercises in Yilan, northeastern Taiwan, Mond...

Associated Press

Why Taiwan and the South China Sea matter to the US and the world

When U.S. Sen. Darline Graham struggled to answer in a debate whether the U.S. has a national security interest in Taiwan and the South China Sea, she drew criticism for saying national security was “not my thing.” Taiwan and the South China Sea have long been major issues in U.S. foreign policy, and tensions involving […]

3 hours ago

FILE - North Carolina defensive lineman Melkart Abou-Jaoude (9) follows a play against Central Flor...

Associated Press

States pour taxpayer dollars into college sports as athlete pay, soaring costs squeeze budgets

Win or lose, the North Carolina Tar Heels already will be in elite company when they kick off the college football season against Texas Christian University in a game played in Dublin. They will be among a small but growing number of athletic programs receiving taxpayer funding from their home states. With universities competing to […]

3 hours ago

FILE - The Boston harbor and the city skyline are photographed, Oct. 28, 2022, in Boston. (AP Photo...

Associated Press

Democrats narrow their list of 2028 presidential convention sites to Boston, Denver and Philadelphia

Democrats on Thursday narrowed the list of potential host cities for their 2028 presidential convention to Boston, Denver and Philadelphia as their party looks ahead to a wide-open primary to succeed President Donald Trump. Democratic National Committee Chairman Ken Martin said in a statement the cities put forward “incredibly strong bids,” and he promised the […]

3 hours ago

Papyrus Conservation Summer Seminar student Shijin (Giada) Jiang examines a papyrus fragment at the...

Associated Press

Inside one of the world’s few crash courses in conserving and caring for ancient papyrus manuscripts

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Shijin Jiang pulled the precision binocular headband magnifier over her eyes and hunched down within a few inches of the ancient text resting on a light board. Using a pair of hand tools, Shijin carefully inspected the sheet made from the papyrus plant, proceeding with the utmost care. After all, […]

7 hours ago

A man waves an Iranian flag during a pro-government gathering at a square in Tehran, Iran, Tuesday,...

Associated Press

A quiet channel between ICE and Iran shaped deportation flights, newly released emails show

LOS ANGELES (AP) — U.S. immigration officials worked with Iran to deport Iranians in 2025, newly released emails show, revealing a working relationship between the U.S. and Iranian governments despite tensions mounting between the countries. Hundreds of emails exchanged between U.S. immigration officials, which were obtained by the National Iranian American Council and made public […]

9 hours ago

Associated Press

Judge will consider new trial for Karmelo Anthony in Texas track meet killing

McKINNEY, Texas (AP) — A judge on Thursday will consider whether to grant Texas teenager Karmelo Anthony a new trial following his murder conviction earlier this summer in the stabbing death of a 17-year-old athlete at a high school track meet. In a legal victory for Anthony, the judge who presided over his trial was […]

9 hours ago

Rescue mission is called off for NASA’s aging Swift space telescope