NATIONAL NEWS

Senate parliamentarian deals blow to $1 billion security proposal for White House

May 16, 2026, 7:39 PM

Work continues on the construction of the ballroom at the White House, Saturday, May 16, 2026, in W...

Work continues on the construction of the ballroom at the White House, Saturday, May 16, 2026, in Washington, where the East Wing once stood. (AP Photo/Rod Lamkey, Jr.)
Credit: AP Photo/Rod Lamkey

(AP Photo/Rod Lamkey, Jr.)

WASHINGTON (AP) — A proposal to fund $1 billion in security additions for the White House campus and the president’s new ballroom fails to meet procedural rules, according to the Senate parliamentarian, dealing a blow to Republican plans to include it as part of a bill to fund immigration enforcement agencies for the next three years.

The parliamentarian’s ruling, described late Saturday by Senate Democrats, said that a project as large and complex as President Donald Trump’s massive East Wing renovation is too broad to be included in the budget bill, which only needs a simple majority — and no Democratic votes — to pass.

It’s unclear if Republicans will be able to salvage any part of the billion-dollar Secret Service proposal, which would have funded security for Trump’s ballroom along with other parts of the White House, including a new visitor screening center, training for agents and extra reinforcements for large events. Republicans said Saturday night that they are revising the legislation based on the parliamentarian’s advice.

Ryan Wrasse, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader John Thune, wrote in a post on X that “none of this is abnormal” during the complicated budget process that Republicans are using to try and pass the immigration enforcement and White House security money on a partisan basis.

“Redraft. Refine. Resubmit,” Wrasse said in the post.

Democrats celebrate and say they will stop it again

Democrats have seized on the provision, accusing Republicans of dedicating precious federal resources to the ballroom effort instead of focusing on helping Americans with rising costs. Republicans have insisted that private donations will be used to build the ballroom and that the federal dollars are focused just on much-needed security enhancements.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., took credit for the ruling after arguing to the parliamentarian that the security money doesn’t belong in the bill.

“Republicans tried to make taxpayers foot the bill for Trump’s billion-dollar ballroom,” Schumer said. “Senate Democrats fought back — and blew up their first attempt.”

Schumer added that Democrats “will be ready to stop them again” as Republicans say they will revise the bill.

The ruling from the Senate parliamentarian is just advisory, but such rulings are rarely if ever ignored when lawmakers put together legislation that can pass with a simple majority. Democrats were challenging the provision as failing to meet the parliamentary standards for inclusion in a filibuster-proof bill.

White House security money is part of a larger immigration bill

Republicans are looking to approve a roughly $72 billion package to fund Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection for three years after Democrats have blocked the money for months.

As part of that package, Republicans included $1 billion for White House security enhancements, part of it connected to Trump’s new ballroom. The Secret Service had requested the money after a man was charged with trying to assassinate Trump at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner last month.

The overall budget package is providing another boost of funding for Trump’s immigration and deportation agenda, fueling operations through September 2029. It comes on top of ICE and Border Patrol funds Congress provided last year in the big tax breaks bill Trump signed into law.

The parliamentarian kept most of the immigration portion of the legislation intact, though some minor provisions were blocked, including Customs and Border Patrol funds to hire, train and pay Border Patrol agents, among others central to immigration enforcement operations. Republicans said those were only technical fixes.

Oregon Sen. Jeff Merkley, the top Democrat on the Senate Budget Committee, said Saturday evening that Americans shouldn’t spend “a single dime” on Trump’s “Louis XIV-style ballroom and throw tens of billions more at two lawless agencies.”

Please follow our Community Guidelines

National News

Associated Press

Man charged with arranging fatal ambush of Microsoft manager faces murder trial in Florida

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A man charged with arranging the fatal ambush of a Microsoft design manager is headed to trial Monday in Florida, more than four years after the victim was repeatedly shot outside his vehicle while his 2-year-old child was strapped in a car seat. Investigators say a tire was placed in the […]

58 minutes ago

U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz smiles as she greets constituents at a National Night Out commun...

Associated Press

In Florida, Wasserman Schultz sparks a debate over what representation means in diverse districts

TAMARAC, Fla. (AP) — Greeting voters ahead of Tuesday’s Florida primaries in red-white-and-blue sneakers, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz smiles and tells them she is “running for reelection to Congress.” That’s true — with a caveat. Wasserman Schultz is seeking her 12th term by running in a new district after Republicans scrambled the state’s congressional map […]

58 minutes ago

Duane Davis appears in court during the third day of jury selection in his murder trial, related to...

Associated Press

All eyez on Tupac: Long-awaited trial begins in rapper’s 1996 killing

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Opening statements are set to begin Monday in the trial of a man accused of orchestrating the killing of Tupac Shakur, kicking off weeks of testimony that will revisit what happened on a Las Vegas nearly 30 years ago. Duane “Keffe D” Davis, 63, is charged with murder with a deadly […]

1 hour ago

Attorney Paul W. Schmidt, representing Meta, right, arrives at a Federal Courthouse Wednesday, Aug....

Associated Press

States take Meta to trial in California in the biggest fight yet over social media harms to children

Of the thousands of lawsuits Meta faces over child safety on its platforms, none may be more consequential than one going to trial this week in California. States are seeking extensive financial damages that could, in theory, total as much as $1.4 trillion, plus changes to how the company operates Facebook and Instagram. The lawsuit […]

1 hour ago

FILE - Hayden Panettiere arrives at the premiere of "Blonde," on Sept. 13, 2022, at TCL Chinese The...

Associated Press

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in the television series ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hayden Panettiere, star of popular television series including “Heroes” and “Nashville,” has died. She was 36. Panettiere’s father, Skip, announced the actor’s death in a statement provided to ABC News Sunday. “It is with profound sadness that we share the tragic passing of our beloved Hayden. She was an incredible light […]

1 hour ago

FILE - Workers dismantle structures from Salute to America, an Independence Day event honoring the ...

Associated Press

Trump blames vandals for damaged grass in the same spot where he held his big July 4 celebration

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Sunday said vandals are to blame for large swaths of dead grass on the National Mall near the World War II Memorial — in the same spot where Trump had a stage built and hosted crowds for his July 4 celebration. Trump made the accusation in a social […]

2 hours ago

Senate parliamentarian deals blow to $1 billion security proposal for White House