NATIONAL NEWS

Trump says sculpture garden honoring prominent Americans is planned for park along Potomac River

May 15, 2026, 7:56 AM

President Donald Trump speaks as he visits the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool to see the new blue...

President Donald Trump speaks as he visits the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool to see the new blue protective coating being applied as part of a renovation project, Thursday, May 7, 2026, in Washington, as White House boarder czar Tom Homan and Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin listen. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump plans to build an exhibit of statues featuring prominent Americans in a tightly regulated park along the Potomac River, potentially opening a new legal fight over whether his administration is ignoring the approvals process that typically governs Washington’s monumental core as he muscles through a dramatic overhaul of the nation’s capital.

In a Friday morning social media post, Trump said the National Garden of American Heroes would be built in West Potomac Park, a space near the National Mall that includes the Korean War Veterans Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial and the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. The area is also home to several fields and volleyball courts regularly used by local sports groups.

Trump described the area in his post as a “totally BARREN field of Prime Waterfront Real Estate along our Mighty Potomac River.”

The president has said the garden would commemorate America’s 250th anniversary with sculptures recognizing 250 prominent Americans who have made significant cultural, political and other historical contributions to the country. He first raised the idea during Fourth of July celebrations in 2020 and has framed it as a response to protests that resulted in the removal of controversial monuments, including those that commemorated slave owners and Confederate leaders.

In the final days of his first term, Trump, a Republican, signed an executive order naming 244 people including Ronald Reagan and Jackie Robinson who should be honored with statues in the garden. The idea languished under President Joe Biden, a Democrat, but Congress provided $40 million under Trump’s big tax and spending cuts law last year to procure the statues included in his executive orders.

That may not be enough, however, to constitute the type of approval typically needed for major projects on or near the National Mall. Federal law requires projects and memorials to get a sign-off from multiple design and planning groups.

The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment on whether it was seeking such approvals and or whether contracts have been awarded for the statues.

Washington’s monumental core is one of the nation’s most closely regulated spaces, with the goal of protecting sight lines and preventing new construction that would undermine the area’s history. Between the approvals process, design disputes and funding challenges, changes in the area can take years — or even decades — to reach completion. One of the newest additions near the National Mall, the Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial, took 21 years to finish after Congress initially approved it in 1999.

Trump and his supporters have shown little interest in following such procedures. He moved quickly this month to drain and repaint the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool. He suddenly demolished the East Wing of the White House last year to build a ballroom. Trump’s name has been added to the facade of the Kennedy Center, which he plans to close later this summer for a two-year renovation.

Just this week, workers began preliminary surveys and testing of the proposed site of a triumphal arch Trump is seeking between the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington National Cemetery. Part of the site was fenced off, and pink flags typically used as survey markings were planted in the grass.

And the Trump administration is moving forward with plans to transform East Potomac Park from an accessible public golf course into what Trump has described as a “U.S. Open-caliber course.” Interior Secretary Doug Burgum on Thursday released a design plan for the new course that he said would provide “championship-quality golf at affordable, highly discounted rates.”

The plan provided few details on how open the park, which is frequently used by local runners and bikers, would remain to the general public.

Virtually all of the projects have become subject to litigation.

Please follow our Community Guidelines

National News

Associated Press

Man charged with arranging fatal ambush of Microsoft manager faces murder trial in Florida

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A man charged with arranging the fatal ambush of a Microsoft design manager is headed to trial Monday in Florida, more than four years after the victim was repeatedly shot outside his vehicle while his 2-year-old child was strapped in a car seat. Investigators say a tire was placed in the […]

3 hours ago

U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz smiles as she greets constituents at a National Night Out commun...

Associated Press

In Florida, Wasserman Schultz sparks a debate over what representation means in diverse districts

TAMARAC, Fla. (AP) — Greeting voters ahead of Tuesday’s Florida primaries in red-white-and-blue sneakers, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz smiles and tells them she is “running for reelection to Congress.” That’s true — with a caveat. Wasserman Schultz is seeking her 12th term by running in a new district after Republicans scrambled the state’s congressional map […]

3 hours ago

Duane Davis appears in court during the third day of jury selection in his murder trial, related to...

Associated Press

All eyez on Tupac: Long-awaited trial begins in rapper’s 1996 killing

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Opening statements are set to begin Monday in the trial of a man accused of orchestrating the killing of Tupac Shakur, kicking off weeks of testimony that will revisit what happened on a Las Vegas nearly 30 years ago. Duane “Keffe D” Davis, 63, is charged with murder with a deadly […]

3 hours ago

Attorney Paul W. Schmidt, representing Meta, right, arrives at a Federal Courthouse Wednesday, Aug....

Associated Press

States take Meta to trial in California in the biggest fight yet over social media harms to children

Of the thousands of lawsuits Meta faces over child safety on its platforms, none may be more consequential than one going to trial this week in California. States are seeking extensive financial damages that could, in theory, total as much as $1.4 trillion, plus changes to how the company operates Facebook and Instagram. The lawsuit […]

3 hours ago

FILE - Hayden Panettiere arrives at the premiere of "Blonde," on Sept. 13, 2022, at TCL Chinese The...

Associated Press

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in the television series ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hayden Panettiere, star of popular television series including “Heroes” and “Nashville,” has died. She was 36. Panettiere’s father, Skip, announced the actor’s death in a statement provided to ABC News Sunday. “It is with profound sadness that we share the tragic passing of our beloved Hayden. She was an incredible light […]

3 hours ago

FILE - Workers dismantle structures from Salute to America, an Independence Day event honoring the ...

Associated Press

Trump blames vandals for damaged grass in the same spot where he held his big July 4 celebration

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Sunday said vandals are to blame for large swaths of dead grass on the National Mall near the World War II Memorial — in the same spot where Trump had a stage built and hosted crowds for his July 4 celebration. Trump made the accusation in a social […]

4 hours ago

Trump says sculpture garden honoring prominent Americans is planned for park along Potomac River