NATIONAL NEWS

Whistleblower alleges political pressure, lack of evidence in antisemitism probes targeting schools

Aug 18, 2026, 6:00 AM | Updated: 9:24 am

FILE - People take photos near a John Harvard statue, left, on the Harvard University campus, Jan. ...

FILE - People take photos near a John Harvard statue, left, on the Harvard University campus, Jan. 2, 2024, in Cambridge, Mass. (AP Photo/Steven Senne, File)
Credit: AP Photo/Steven Senne

(AP Photo/Steven Senne, File)

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Trump administration task force created to combat antisemitism pushed for settlements with Ivy League universities despite government investigations that were rushed and incomplete or that failed to establish legal violations by the schools, a former Justice Department lawyer alleged in a whistleblower disclosure obtained by The Associated Press.

The complaint alleges that the investigations into some of the nation’s most prestigious academic institutions were designed to strong-arm the schools into cutting deals for political purposes. Outcomes of the investigations were “predetermined, without regard to the evidence” in a “politically mandated effort” to extract money from schools through settlement demands and funding freezes under the pretext of rooting out antisemitism, the complaint alleges.

The work of the multi-agency task force, launched by the Justice Department under then-Attorney General Pam Bondi in February 2025, was “marked by extraordinary procedural irregularities, predetermined outcomes without factual or legal support” and disregard for the law and Constitution, lawyers for the former government attorney wrote in seeking watchdog investigations into their client’s complaints.

The complaint taps into a broader public discussion about the administration’s efforts to confront allegations of antisemitism at colleges, a problem that received renewed attention during campus protests over Israel’s war in Gaza that some Jewish students said made them feel unsafe. President Donald Trump returned to the White House with a goal of rooting out antisemitism that he said had gone unchecked during the Biden administration, but critics have called his government’s response heavy-handed and said it infringed on free speech rights and coerced concessions from public institutions.

A key House Democrat is publicizing the whistleblower’s allegations

Lawyers for the former Justice Department attorney, identified as Haley Van Erem, filed the disclosure Tuesday with the inspectors general at the departments of Justice and Health and Human Services and the Office of Special Counsel.

Van Erem spent nearly a decade working in the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division before being assigned to help with the task force last year.

She left the Justice Department in May 2025 because she was “unwilling to be made vulnerable to further participation in politically motivated investigations unsupported by facts and contrary to law,” according to the complaint, which also accuses the task force of having targeted Muslim professors.

Spokespeople for the Justice Department and Health and Human Services Department did not immediately respond to requests seeking comment Tuesday.

Rep. Jamie Raskin, the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, wrote separately to Harmeet Dhillon, who as the assistant attorney general in charge of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division has been a public face of the department’s efforts to counter antisemitism. In his letter, he said antisemitism at colleges and medical schools is a real problem that needs to be investigated.

“But,” he told Dhillon, “your ‘investigation’ into antisemitism was fake, a pre-baked frame-up operation thoroughly political in nature.”

Raskin wrote that “the whole project was designed to harass professors and administrators at major universities, to curtail their freedom of speech and academic freedom, and to strip targeted institutions of hundreds of millions of dollars in grants that they had already been awarded on the merits of their applications.”

Scrutiny over the handling of investigations into elite schools

The whistleblower complaint deals chiefly with investigations into three Ivy League universities: Brown, Harvard and Columbia.

It alleges that in the case of Brown, the investigative team did not find evidence to support a violation of Title VI, the section of the Civil Rights Act that bars discrimination on the basis of race, color or national origin in programs that receive federal funding, but that “leadership refused to permit a notice of no violation and instead sought some form of settlement or resolution despite acknowledging the absence of a legal basis for doing so.”

Investigators did find evidence of discrimination at Columbia, the complaint says, but the investigation was done on an accelerated timetable before adequate factual development and legal review were completed and relied on allegations that “were unsupported, based on news reports or litigation filings, or that implicated protected First Amendment activity.”

Columbia University agreed to pay the government $200 million as part of an agreement restoring access to federal funding. Brown University separately agreed to pay $50 million to Rhode Island workforce development organizations to end the three federal investigations involving allegations of antisemitism and racial bias in admissions, with no findings of wrongdoing.

In the investigation into Harvard, Trump administration officials discussed “extraordinary funding freezes and sweeping proposed settlement terms” before an investigation had been completed that could establish Title VI violations. Sean Keveney, then-HHS acting general counsel, said he believed Harvard would settle because they were “over a barrel,” according to the complaint.

A federal judge last year ordered the Trump administration to reverse its cuts of more than $2.6 billion in research funding for the university, saying the government “used antisemitism as a smokescreen for a targeted, ideologically-motivated assault on this country’s premier universities.” And a different judge last week dismissed a Trump administration lawsuit that accused Harvard University of turning a blind eye to harassment of Jewish students.

Please follow our Community Guidelines

National News

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent walks past reporters following an interview with Fox News outside ...

Associated Press

Woman accused of plotting to kill Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is sentenced to 6 years in prison

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Massachusetts woman who told police that she brought homemade firebombs to the U.S. Capitol to kill Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent was sentenced on Tuesday to just over six years in prison. Riley English, a 26-year-old transgender woman, said she was in the grips of a mental health crisis and abusing drugs […]

33 minutes ago

FILE - A poster of Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a man killed by U.S. Immigration and Customs E...

Associated Press

Congresswoman says target of ICE operation in fatal Maine shooting wasn’t up for removal

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — The person Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents targeted in Maine last month when an officer shot and killed a motorist was a roommate who was not subject to a final removal order, a Democratic congresswoman from the state said. Johan Sebastián Durán Guerrero, a 25-year-old Colombian national, was shot and killed […]

46 minutes ago

U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., speaks with attendees at the South Carolina Republican Party's Silv...

Associated Press

AP Interview: Ralph Norman questions Trump’s endorsement of Darline Graham in South Carolina runoff

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) — U.S. Rep. Ralph Norman says it’s a “head scratcher” that President Donald Trump endorsed Sen. Darline Graham in South Carolina’s Republican Senate runoff, saying his experience in Congress and business — and consistent votes for Trump’s priorities — make him the stronger candidate to replace the late Sen. Lindsey Graham. Norman’s […]

55 minutes ago

Associated Press

Trump administration moves ahead to end roadless rule on national forests

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — The Trump administration announced Tuesday it is moving ahead with plans to rescind a quarter-century-old rule that blocked logging, road building and other development on national forest lands, drawing the ire of environmentalists nationwide. The U.S. Forest Service is filing a proposal that would scrap the so called roadless rule adopted […]

1 hour ago

FILE - Detailed view of a San Diego Padres logo on a pitching mound during batting practice prior t...

Associated Press

Former Venezuelan player working for San Diego Padres is detained by ICE

A former Venezuelan baseball player working for the San Diego Padres was detained by U.S. immigration officials after arriving in Texas on a work trip for the club, his family said Tuesday. Oswaldo Pirela, a catching coach in the Padres’ minor league system, was being held in a detention center in El Paso, federal records […]

2 hours ago

Jackson State Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering Kamal Ali, left, and Canhao Wang, a ...

Associated Press

Jackson State University pursues top research status

Professor Kamal Ali and his team of Jackson State University student researchers spent their summer tending to a crate of oysters, magnets and wires. The team has been developing tiny sensors that attach to oyster shells to collect data on how the creatures respond to changes in their environment. The marine research project is part […]

2 hours ago

Whistleblower alleges political pressure, lack of evidence in antisemitism probes targeting schools