SEATTLE NEWS ARCHIVES & FEATURES

Chief Best says discussion, dialogue necessary to bring change to SPD

Aug 10, 2020, 1:12 PM | Updated: Aug 11, 2020, 5:37 am

Chief Best...

Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best addresses the press as city crews dismantle the Capitol Hill Organized Protest (CHOP) area outside of the Seattle Police Department's vacated East Precinct on July 1, 2020 in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by David Ryder/Getty Images)

(Photo by David Ryder/Getty Images)

Despite pushback from Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, Police Chief Carmen Best, police unions and thousands of pro-police community members and residents, Seattle City Councilmembers are expected to approve initial cuts to the Seattle Police Department budget in a final vote on its 2020 re-balancing package Monday afternoon.

Seattle council begins discussion ahead of Monday SPD budget vote

Councilmembers approved amendments in the plan in the Budget Committee last week. The committee is expected to vote on moving the proposal forward during its 10 a.m. session Monday, before a full, final council vote during the 2 p.m. session.

Ahead of the vote, Chief Best joined the Dori Monson Show on KIRO Radio.

“I think it’s a very storied and complex set of circumstances to bring us where we are here today, at this very moment,” Best said. “While it is rather tragic in many ways, we have to believe that at some point we’re going to turn this around and have a better outcome.”

“The city council vote today, I think it would be premature for me to comment too much on it until it’s completed, and I’m holding out hope it won’t be as bad as I think it might be,” she added. “But they’re going to have their deliberations, and they’re going to make their vote, and then we’re going to have to react and respond to whatever that is.”

Chief Best repeated her call to be included in the conversations, and made it clear that she and the officers of the SPD are open to change.

“Some of the issues that have been brought up with this whole defund movement have been valid concerns about how we can respond to some of these things better,” she said. “Believe it or not, I’m not opposed, and I don’t think any of our officers are opposed, at looking at potential ways that we can have a more effective and efficient response. But just cutting off 100 or more officers without any game plan, without any training, is not the way to do it.”

Best says she has been told there’s a plan, but she hasn’t seen it.

“At 3:00 in the morning when somebody is out in the middle of the street in mental crisis, who’s coming? Who have they hired, who’s been trained, who is going to be the effective response to that situation?” she asked. “I have not heard that answer yet, and that is why I have a deep level of concern. If we want to do something different, we need to have the discussion and the dialogue that takes us there.”

Listen to the full interview with Chief Best below:

Listen to the Dori Monson Show weekday afternoons from noon – 3 p.m. on KIRO Radio, 97.3 FM. Subscribe to the podcast here.

FILE - Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy looks on during his meeting with U.S. President Dona...

Associated Press

Zelenskyy details rift with dismissed defense minister, saying some of his actions were misguided

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said he believes actions taken by dismissed Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov, including his involvement in mass protests and calls for elections, were misguided, as he publicly detailed their dispute for the first time. Zelenskyy also alluded to problematic decisions over defense spending and said inaccurate information provided […]

1 hour ago

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands in action during sprint race at the Formula One D...

Associated Press

Dutch Grand Prix sees a potential path back to F1 amid Middle East uncertainty

The Dutch Grand Prix is bidding goodbye to Formula 1 on Sunday but its organizers say it could potentially “serve as an alternative venue” in the future amid continuing uncertainty over next year’s schedule. Already this year, the security situation in the Middle East following the outbreak of the Iran war has meant Bahrain’s race […]

2 hours ago

A customer walks into Beaver's Mini Mart in Beavercreek, Ohio, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Jul...

Associated Press

Buc-ee’s chain draws outcry in Ohio for launching fight over a mini mart’s beaver logo

BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (AP) — A lip-licking alligator, a smiling moose and a hat-wearing bear are among the many cartoon animals to have found themselves in the crosshairs of Buc-ee’s, the popular Texas convenience store chain that has a penchant for protecting its buck-toothed beaver. But now Buc-ee’s has set off a Buckeye backlash across Ohio […]

6 hours ago

A crew does mop-up work in a burned area of Wyakin Park after a wildfire hit the northern part of S...

Associated Press

Officials warn wildland firefighters about the risks of using a supplement for smoke exposure

SEATTLE (AP) — Fire and medical officials have issued warnings about a supplement offered to Western wildland firefighters who have been exposed to toxic chemicals while battling some of the country’s biggest blazes. The supplement glutathione, given through an IV or an inhaler-like machine called a nebulizer, has not been proven to be safe or […]

7 hours ago

Associated Press

Union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorizes first strike in ensemble’s 145-year history

LENOX, Mass. (AP) — The union for Boston Symphony Orchestra musicians authorized the first strike in the ensemble’s 145-year history on Saturday. The Boston Musicians’ Association issued a statement ahead of the expiration of the union’s three-year contract at 11:59 p.m. Sunday. The orchestra and management have had strained relations since BSO decided in March […]

8 hours ago

Andrew Anthony III and Kala Hayes, parents of Karmelo Anthony, exit following closing arguments in ...

Associated Press

Texas judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s request for new trial in deadly stabbing at track meet

DALLAS (AP) — A Texas judge denied a new trial for Karmelo Anthony on Saturday in the stabbing death of a 17-year-old athlete at a high school track meet, a killing that drew national attention and led to harassment of the families. Anthony, 19, was convicted of murder in June and sentenced to 35 years […]

12 hours ago

Chief Best says discussion, dialogue necessary to bring change to SPD