SEATTLE NEWS ARCHIVES & FEATURES

Public records expert: ‘Very suspicious’ that June 2020 texts from Seattle leaders all went missing

May 17, 2021, 8:51 AM | Updated: 10:10 am

coronavirus police seattle, missing text messages...

Mayor Jenny Durkan and SPD Chief Carmen Best. (Mayor Durkan, Twitter)

(Mayor Durkan, Twitter)

With questions still surrounding missing June 2020 text messages from a collection of high-ranking Seattle city officials, could there be legal ramifications? Public records expert and Kirkland City Councilmember Toby Nixon spoke to KIRO Radio’s Dori Monson Show to provide some insight.

Seattle mayor’s office avoided answering requests for missing texts

Evidence of the missing texts first surfaced when a whistleblower complaint alleged Mayor Jenny Durkan’s office failed to properly handle a series of public records requests, after it discovered that the mayor’s text messages between August 2019 and June 2020 had gone missing.

Lawsuits filed against the city regarding the CHOP further revealed that Durkan’s texts weren’t the only messages among local leaders from last June that had disappeared, with the list also including then-SPD Chief Carmen Best, Fire Chief Harold Scoggins, and multiple members of SPD’s command staff.

Durkan’s office later claimed that she had inadvertently set her phone to delete messages automatically after 30 days, while it remains unclear how messages from other city leaders also disappeared. As for whether this is indicative of some larger cover-up related to the abandoning of the East Precinct and eventual creation of the CHOP last June, Nixon has his suspicions.

“It is absolutely very suspicious,” he opined. “It’s one thing for one senior official to say ‘my phone was accidentally set wrong,’ but for all of the ones who were involved in these critical decision making processes to somehow say all my messages were accidentally lost, that stinks to high heaven.”

In Durkan’s case, Nixon — who serves as president of the Washington Coalition for Open Government — points out that she may very well have violated the law by setting her phone to delete messages after 30 days, be it willfully or accidentally.

ACLU files contempt motion against Seattle over SPD protest response

“All public officials in Washington state are required to receive training in records retention and disclosure,” he said. “There’s really no excuse to not be aware of the fact that based on the content of records, they have to be kept for some period of time.”

“The vast majority of records, including all communications by elected officials, have to be kept at least two years, and in many cases forever,” he added. “After that two years, they have to be assessed by the State Archives for their historical value, and that just didn’t happen here.”

The law is also relatively clear on the consequences for poor recordkeeping, Nixon notes. Knowingly deleting records is a felony, while unknowingly doing so could be considering a failure “to perform a duty imposed upon a public official,” which would be a misdemeanor.

The obstacle, though, could end up being the willingness of King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg or City Attorney Pete Holmes to pursue charges.

“You have to convince a prosecutor to actually file those charges and pursue them,” Nixon said. “Would Pete Holmes or Dan Satterberg really do that? I have my doubts.”

Listen to the Dori Monson Show weekday afternoons from noon – 3 p.m. on KIRO Radio, 97.3 FM. Subscribe to the podcast here.

FILE - Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men...

Associated Press

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdraws from the US Open with a knee injury

NEW YORK (AP) — Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdrew from the U.S. Open on Friday, unable to recover from a right knee injury that has sidelined him since winning the Wimbledon title. Sinner beat Alexander Zverev last month for his second straight title at the All England Club, but then pulled out of the hard-court tournaments […]

23 minutes ago

Associated Press

US government declares drought disaster for US Virgin Islands

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The U.S. government has declared a drought disaster in the U.S. Virgin Islands as dry conditions persist. St. Thomas, St. John and St. Croix are all experiencing an extreme drought, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor, and no relief is in sight. The declaration announced Thursday will allow farmers […]

24 minutes ago

alaska army plane...

BECKY BOHRER, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

US Army Corps of Engineers chartered plane crashes near Alaska radar site, killing all 8 aboard

A small plane chartered by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers traveling to the site of a remote aircraft-tracking radar in western Alaska crashed near its destination, killing all eight people aboard.

28 minutes ago

national radio day...

Charlie Harger

Harger: A community college radio station gave me a career, a newsroom full of colleagues, and a wife

I talk for a living, on a medium that talks about itself constantly, and I found out about National Radio Day after the show ended yesterday.

42 minutes ago

FILE - A SNAP EBT information sign is displayed at a gas station in Riverwoods, Ill., Nov. 1, 2025....

Associated Press

Enrollment in SNAP grocery aid is dropping faster than expected

PHOENIX (AP) — Enrollment in the biggest federally funded food aid program in the U.S. dropped by more than 13% in a 12-month span — a decline far steeper than the government estimated as work requirements and other provisions of President Donald Trump’s “big beautiful bill” take hold. Those losing coverage in the Supplemental Nutrition […]

1 hour ago

teen brawl pierce transit bus...

MyNorthwest Staff

Teen brawl on Pierce Transit bus ends with two arrests, driver and passengers pepper sprayed

Two 18-year-olds were arrested after a brawl broke out between groups of teenagers on a Pierce Transit bus Tuesday night at the South Hill Mall Transit Center.

1 hour ago

Public records expert: ‘Very suspicious’ that June 2020 texts from Seattle leaders all went missing