POLITICS

Iran says it will continue nuclear talks with the US, shrugging off Trump’s threats

May 17, 2025, 2:03 AM | Updated: 2:28 am

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian makes an address during the army parade commemorating National ...

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian makes an address during the army parade commemorating National Army Day in front of the shrine of the late revolutionary founder Ayatollah Khomeini, just outside Tehran, Iran, Friday, April 18, 2025. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran’s president said his country will continue talks with the United States over its rapidly advancing nuclear program but will not withdraw from its rights because of U.S. threats.

“We are negotiating, and we will negotiate , we are not after war but we do not fear any threat,” President Masoud Pezeshkian said during a speech to navy officials broadcast by state television Saturday.

“It is not like that they think if they threaten us , we will give up our human right and definite right,” Pezeshkian said. “We will not withdraw, we will not easily loose honorable military, scientific, nuclear in all fields.”

The negotiations have reached the “expert” level, meaning the sides are trying to reach agreement on the details of a possible deal. But a major sticking point remains Iran’s enrichment of uranium, which Tehran insists it must be allowed to do and the Trump administration increasingly insists the Islamic Republic must give up.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to unleash airstrikes targeting Iran’s program if a deal isn’t reached. Iranian officials increasingly warn they could pursue a nuclear weapon with their stockpile of uranium enriched to near weapons-grade levels.

Earlier on Friday, Trump said Iran received a proposal during the talks, though he did not elaborate.

During his trip to region this week, Trump at nearly every event insisted Iran could not be allowed to obtain a nuclear bomb, something U.S. intelligence agencies assess Tehran is not actively pursuing, though its program is on the cusp of being able to weaponize nuclear material.

Mohammad Eslami, the head of Iran’s atomic organization, stressed the peaceful nature of the program, saying it is under “continuous” monitoring by the U.N. nuclear watchdog, state TV reported Saturday.

“No country is monitored by the agency like us,” Eslami said, adding that the agency inspected the country’s nuclear facilities more than 450 time in 2024. “Something about 25% of all the agency inspections” in the year.

Meanwhile, Israel routinely has threatened to strike Iran’s nuclear facilities if it feels threatened, further complicating tensions in the Mideast already spiked by the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza.

Please follow our Community Guidelines

Politics

FILE - Cargo ships are seen at sea in the Gulf of Oman near the Strait of Hormuz, from a rocky shor...

Associated Press

Trump is threatening to bomb Oman, but why?

The world knows that U.S. President Donald Trump is angry with Iran. But he’s not happy with the small country lying across the Strait of Hormuz from the Islamic Republic, either: Oman. Oman has played a relatively low-profile role since the Iran war began, including as a mediator. But its geography has thrust the sultanate […]

2 minutes ago

FILE - Sen. Elissa Slotkin, D-Mich., speaks during a hearing at the Capitol in Washington, Jan. 14,...

Associated Press

Senator presses Hegseth, Caine for commitment to keep US military out of the midterm elections

WASHINGTON (AP) — Michigan Sen. Elissa Slotkin asked Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Tuesday to confirm he won’t send U.S. troops to polling places during November’s midterm elections, as Democrats have raised concerns that the Trump administration could use the military to interfere with the vote. “I’d ask you to confirm a simple statement: the […]

4 minutes ago

FILE - The Nittany Lion logo taken before an NCAA college football game between Penn State and Dela...

Associated Press

Penn State frat pledges were made to cut and bag cocaine for college drug ring, authorities say

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Penn State fraternity pledges were made to cut and package cocaine for a drug ring that was run out of two off-campus frat houses, authorities said. The illicit initiation was revealed Monday as Pennsylvania Attorney General Dave Sunday charged 14 people — including 13 current or former Penn State students […]

11 minutes ago

Associated Press

Editorial Roundup: United States

Excerpts from recent editorials in the United States and abroad: ___ Aug. 15 The New York Times says the GOP is trying to hide health care cuts One of the federal government’s great achievements this century was making health insurance affordable to millions more Americans. In 2010, nearly 18 percent of people under 65 lacked […]

51 minutes ago

FILE - In this undated photo canoeists navigate the Pocket River in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area ...

Associated Press

Minnesota governor signs order to stop any mining efforts in Boundary Waters wilderness

ELY, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz on Tuesday suspended state work on proposed mining projects in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, four months after Congress and President Donald Trump’s administration lifted a federal ban. The cherished wild area stretches for about 150 miles (about 240 kilometers) in the Superior National Forest along […]

52 minutes ago

The Eisenhower Executive Office Building is seen as President Donald Trump speaks during an event t...

Associated Press

Judge rules paint tests on Eisenhower Building can proceed, advancing Trump’s makeover plans for now

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal district judge said Tuesday that paint tests on a 19th-century historic landmark building next to the White House can go ahead, advancing President Donald Trump’s plans to add a new coat of white paint to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, for now. Trump has suggested the massive building be painted […]

1 hour ago

Iran says it will continue nuclear talks with the US, shrugging off Trump’s threats