WORLD

Israel authorizes more settlements in the occupied West Bank. Strikes on Gaza kill 13, officials say

May 28, 2025, 10:17 PM | Updated: May 29, 2025, 11:16 pm

FILE - Israel's Foreign Affairs Minister Israel Katz listens during a meeting of the United Nations...

FILE - Israel's Foreign Affairs Minister Israel Katz listens during a meeting of the United Nations Security Council on the war in Gaza, March 11, 2024, at U.N. headquarters. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews, File)
Credit: ASSOCIATED PRESS

(AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews, File)

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel said Thursday it would establish 22 Jewish settlements in the occupied West Bank, including the legalization of outposts already built without government authorization. Israeli strikes on the Gaza Strip meanwhile killed 12 people overnight, health officials said.

Israel captured the West Bank, along with Gaza and east Jerusalem, in the 1967 Mideast war and the Palestinians want all three territories for their future state. Most of the international community views settlements as illegal and an obstacle to resolving the decades-old conflict.

Defense Minister Israel Katz said the settlement decision “strengthens our hold on Judea and Samaria,” using the biblical term for the West Bank, “anchors our historical right in the Land of Israel, and constitutes a crushing response to Palestinian terrorism.”

He added it was also “a strategic move that prevents the establishment of a Palestinian state that would endanger Israel.”

Israel has already built well over 100 settlements across the territory that are home to some 500,000 settlers. The settlements range from small hilltop outposts to fully developed communities with apartment blocks, shopping malls, factories and public parks.

The West Bank is home to 3 million Palestinians, who live under Israeli military rule with the Western-backed Palestinian Authority administering population centers. The settlers have Israeli citizenship.

Israel has accelerated settlement construction in recent years — long before Hamas’ Oct. 7, 2023, attack ignited the war in Gaza — confining Palestinians to smaller and smaller areas of the West Bank and making the prospect of establishing a viable, independent state even more remote.

During his first term, President Donald Trump’s administration broke with decades of U.S. foreign policy by supporting Israel’s claims to territory seized by force and taking steps to legitimize the settlements. Former President Joe Biden, like most of his predecessors, opposed the settlements but applied little pressure to Israel to curb their growth.

The top United Nations court ruled last year that Israel’s presence in the occupied Palestinian territories is unlawful and called on it to end, and for settlement construction to stop immediately. Israel denounced the non-binding opinion by a 15-judge panel of the International Court of Justice, saying the territories are part of the historic homeland of the Jewish people.

Calls for settlements in war-ravaged Gaza

Israel withdrew its settlements from the Gaza Strip in 2005, but leading figures in the current government have called for them to be re-established and for much of the Palestinian population of the territory to be resettled elsewhere through what they describe as voluntary emigration.

Palestinians view such plans as a blueprint for their forcible expulsion from their homeland, and experts say the plans would likely violate international law.

Israel now controls more than 70% of Gaza, according to Yaakov Garb, a professor of environmental studies at Ben Gurion University, who has examined Israeli-Palestinian land use patterns for decades.

The area includes buffer zones along the border with Israel as well as the southern city of Rafah, which is now mostly uninhabited, and other large areas that Israel has ordered to be evacuated.

The war began with Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack, in which militants stormed into Israel, killing some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting 251. Hamas still holds 58 hostages, around a third of them alive, after most of the rest were released in ceasefire agreements. Israeli forces have rescued eight and recovered dozens of bodies.

Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed over 54,000 Palestinians, mostly women and children, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, which does not say how many of the dead were civilians or combatants.

Israeli strikes killed at least 13 Palestinians overnight in Gaza, according to local hospitals.

Four were killed in a strike on a car in Gaza City late Wednesday and another eight, including two women and three children, were killed in a strike on a home in Jabaliya. A strike on a built-up refugee camp in central Gaza killed one person and wounded 18.

There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military, which says it only targets militants and blames civilian deaths on Hamas because the militants are embedded in populated areas.

___

Melzer reported from Nahariya, Israel. Associated Press writer Kareem Chehayeb in Beirut contributed.

___

Follow AP’s war coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war

Please follow our Community Guidelines

World

Eruptive activity continues on Mount Etna, where lava flows continue to descend on the slopes of th...

Associated Press

US tourist dies after being struck by lightning while hiking Sicily’s Mount Etna

MILAN (AP) — An American tourist was killed by a lightning strike on Sicily’s Mount Etna while hiking in an area that was closed to visitors due to recent volcanic activity, Italian firefighters said Monday. The 29-year-man from Kansas was rescued by helicopter after being struck Sunday evening in an exposed area above the tree […]

7 hours ago

U.S. Army's armored vehicles gather to cross a river at a training field in Yeoncheon, South Korea,...

Associated Press

South Korea hopes for talks between US and North Korea after Trump downsizes military drills

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea on Monday expressed hopes for resumption of diplomacy between the U.S. and North Korea to ease animosities on the Korean Peninsula, hours after U.S. President Donald Trump said he ordered annual U.S. military exercises with South Korea to be scaled back. Trump cited his good relationship with North […]

8 hours ago

Military personnel take part in a U.S.-sponsored multinational military exercise in Panama City, Th...

Associated Press

After killing hundreds in boat strikes, US military expands campaign on land in Latin America

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Hundreds of people have been killed in the year since the U.S. military began bombing boats it accused of ferrying drugs off Latin America’s Caribbean and Pacific coasts. Now, the Trump administration says it is seeking to extend that lethal campaign to land, pursuing deals that would put U.S. forces on […]

12 hours ago

Associated Press

Asian shares are mostly higher while US futures and oil prices hold steady

BANGKOK (AP) — Shares were mostly higher Monday in Asia after U.S. stocks edged back from their all-time high following a weaker than expected report on the U.S. economy. U.S. futures were little changed and oil prices were mixed. Tokyo’s Nikkei 225 index gained 0.3% to 68,929.33 after the Japanese government reported the economy grew […]

14 hours ago

Israel's Minister of National Security, Itamar Ben-Gvir, prays during the mourning ritual of Tisha ...

Associated Press

Israel’s Ben Gvir advocates killing ’30 to 40′ people in Gaza nightly while speaking to ex-hostage

JERUSALEM (AP) — An extremist Israeli lawmaker in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition publicly advocated for killing “30 to 40” people in Gaza each night, comments that surfaced Sunday and were quickly shared by Palestinian media. Minister of National Security Itamar Ben-Gvir made the statement while speaking to a former Gaza-held hostage, Rom Braslavski, on […]

1 day ago

A farmhand harvests avocados at an orchard in Santa Ana Zirosto, Michoacan sate, Mexico, Friday, Au...

Associated Press

Avocado pickers in Mexico welcome restart of exports to US, but security fears remain

SANTA ANA ZIROSTO, Mexico (AP) — It didn’t take long for Mexican avocado picker Francisco Isidro to get back to work after authorities announced the lifting of a U.S. security alert that temporarily halted avocado exports. Back on the job the morning after the alert was lifted, Isidro threw a rope over an avocado tree […]

2 days ago

Israel authorizes more settlements in the occupied West Bank. Strikes on Gaza kill 13, officials say