WORLD

Japanese court convicts a US Marine in sexual assault, sentencing him to 7 years in prison

Jun 25, 2025, 12:30 AM | Updated: 1:00 am

TOKYO (AP) — A Japanese court said Wednesday it has found a U.S. Marine guilty of sexually assaulting a woman on Okinawa, sentencing him to prison terms, in a case that has triggered anger and safety concerns on Japan’s southern island, which has a heavy American troop presence.

The Naha District Court said Lance Cpl. Jamel Clayton, 22, of Ohio, was sentenced Tuesday to seven years in prison in the case.

Clayton was found guilty of attacking the woman in her 20s in the Yomitan village on the main Okinawa island in May, 2024, chocking her from behind, sexually assaulting her and causing her injuries.

In sentencing, Judge Kazuhiko Obata said the victim’s testimony, provided remotely and anonymously, was highly credible even though the defendant denied his charges brought by the prosecutors, who demanded 10 years in prison, according to Kyodo News.

It was one of a string of sexual assault cases last year in which the arrests of the suspects were initially withheld by local authorities on grounds of protecting the victims’ privacy, triggering anger and criticisms of coverups.

Okinawa, where one of the fiercest battles of World War II was fought 80 years ago and under U.S. occupation until 1972, remains home to the majority of about 50,000 U.S. troops stationed in Japan under a bilateral security pact. The island, which accounts for only 0.6% of Japanese land, hosts 70% of U.S. military facilities.

Frustration runs high on Okinawa because of its continued burden with the heavy U.S. presence that includes noise, pollution, aircraft accidents and crime related to American troops.

Defense Minister Gen Nakatani, who attended Monday’s 80th anniversary of the end of the Battle of Okinawa, raised concerns about recent sexual assault cases involving U.S. service members when he met with Lt. Gen. Roger Turner, the commander of III Marine Expeditionary Force, requesting discipline and preventive measures.

There has been growing calls for a revision to the Status of Forces Agreement that gives the United States the right to investigate most accidents and crimes that occur on Japanese soil.

Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba ‘s Cabinet on Tuesday adopted a statement showing that the Japanese prosecutors dropped criminal cases against more than 300 U.S. service members in the last decade between 2014 and 2024, including a sexual assault case in Okinawa in 2020.

World

Associated Press

Asian shares are mostly higher while US futures and oil prices hold steady

BANGKOK (AP) — Shares were mostly higher Monday in Asia after U.S. stocks edged back from their all-time high following a weaker than expected report on the U.S. economy. U.S. futures were little changed and oil prices were mixed. Tokyo’s Nikkei 225 index gained 0.3% to 68,929.33 after the Japanese government reported the economy grew […]

2 hours ago

Israel's Minister of National Security, Itamar Ben-Gvir, prays during the mourning ritual of Tisha ...

Associated Press

Israel’s Ben Gvir advocates killing ’30 to 40′ people in Gaza nightly while speaking to ex-hostage

JERUSALEM (AP) — An extremist Israeli lawmaker in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition publicly advocated for killing “30 to 40” people in Gaza each night, comments that surfaced Sunday and were quickly shared by Palestinian media. Minister of National Security Itamar Ben-Gvir made the statement while speaking to a former Gaza-held hostage, Rom Braslavski, on […]

17 hours ago

A farmhand harvests avocados at an orchard in Santa Ana Zirosto, Michoacan sate, Mexico, Friday, Au...

Associated Press

Avocado pickers in Mexico welcome restart of exports to US, but security fears remain

SANTA ANA ZIROSTO, Mexico (AP) — It didn’t take long for Mexican avocado picker Francisco Isidro to get back to work after authorities announced the lifting of a U.S. security alert that temporarily halted avocado exports. Back on the job the morning after the alert was lifted, Isidro threw a rope over an avocado tree […]

1 day ago

In this photo released by the Indonesian National Search and Rescue Agency (BASARNAS), rescuers sea...

Associated Press

Rescuers dig through rubble and landslides after Indonesia quake kills 47

LABUAN BAJO, Indonesia (AP) — Searchers dug through collapsed buildings and landslide debris Sunday in eastern Indonesia as they searched for bodies and possible survivors a day after a powerful earthquake killed at least 47 people, injured more than 100 and displaced thousands. At least 24 people died in Manggarai regency and 17 in neighboring […]

1 day ago

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva speaks during a meeting with members of the Homeless ...

Associated Press

Brazil’s Lula triggers reciprocity process against US tariffs in effort to show strength

SAO PAULO (AP) — Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said Friday his government has triggered an economic reciprocity law mechanism against U.S.-imposed tariffs, saying the move was intended to show his nation must be respected. In July, U.S. President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on hundreds of Brazilian exports, with duties reaching up to […]

3 days ago

Associated Press

Son of former Mexican President López Obrador says US revoked his visa and appeals directly to Trump

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican politician Andrés Manuel López Beltrán, the son of former President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, said the United States revoked his visa, prompting an appeal to U.S. President Donald Trump and criticism Friday from Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum, who called the decision “essentially political in nature.” López Beltrán announced the visa […]

3 days ago

Japanese court convicts a US Marine in sexual assault, sentencing him to 7 years in prison